Sponsored

Powerboost bad smell coming into cabin .

A FORD ABLE

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 Platinum 2021 Lexus LC500 convertible
Occupation
Business
Got this beautifull 2021 platinum with 3k miles . My problem is when i come to a stop and take off again a very bad smell come's in the cabin that will give you a headache , i think it's an exaust smell the tech thinks it's a battery like chemical smell very unconfortable to say the least and all this problem is amplified when towing if i open the window it's even worse. The Ford engineers will guide the tech next week to try to find the problem cause so far noone know's what's going on ! Sure hope it won't happend to you guys, let me know if you've experienced this
Sponsored

CREC

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Ret Mil/Business
Got this beautifull 2021 platinum with 3k miles . My problem is when i come to a stop and take off again a very bad smell come's in the cabin that will give you a headache , i think it's an exaust smell the tech thinks it's a battery like chemical smell very unconfortable to say the least and all this problem is amplified when towing if i open the window it's even worse. The Ford engineers will guide the tech next week to try to find the problem cause so far noone know's what's going on ! Sure hope it won't happend to you guys, let me know if you've experienced this
I’m having the same problem. Mine is more of the battery/chemical/electrical burning smell. It’s not constant, but I notice it at least weekly. Did Ford ever locate a proximate cause and/or were they able to repair it?

Thanks,
Clint

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I had the smell for the first two days of ownership, a hot electrical/chemical smell. Luckily it has gone away. Not sure if this is a hybrid thing.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I had similar smell at first, but now it’s like a moldy musty smell… I plan to check the cabin filter this week to see. My truck is garages kept, so ??‍♂

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had similar smell at first, but now it’s like a moldy musty smell… I plan to check the cabin filter this week to see. My truck is garages kept, so ??‍♂
Hi there. Could you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I'd like to look into this on my end.

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
That’s the smell of smugness for getting 1 mpg better than a regular 3.5, lol.

I wonder if it’s just a coating on the electrical connectors connecting the hybrid components? Hopefully it will fade after a little time. If it’s more pronounced when towing; were you charging a TT while towing? Just curious.

OP
OP

A FORD ABLE

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business
Sorry all i didn't close the tread with the final solution to the smell .

My problem came from the front differential vent.... Apparently the diff was mounted to tight....
So instead of changing the diff they extented the vent hose by 5 ft in the rear of the truck hey no more smell!!!
You might say that the original problem isn't solve , your right we just move the outcome to a later date wich will be the premature burning of the front differential unless it loosen's up in the next months , years!!! Hope this helps.

SpazzStr0s

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Tremor -- Leadfoot
That sounds like it could be my problem. Today was the first day I put my Tremor in 4A and started to get a weird odor in the cabin. I have ~1,400 miles on it but all in 2H.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
My truck has 5500 miles and I only started noticinging this smell after having it at the dealer a couple weeks ago. It's come and gone and I figured the dealership would just tell me "can't duplicate, see ya". Can anyone duplicate it repeatedly or know where to smell to get the odor well known?

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Sorry all i didn't close the tread with the final solution to the smell .

My problem came from the front differential vent.... Apparently the diff was mounted to tight....
So instead of changing the diff they extented the vent hose by 5 ft in the rear of the truck hey no more smell!!!
You might say that the original problem isn't solve , your right we just move the outcome to a later date wich will be the premature burning of the front differential unless it loosen's up in the next months , years!!! Hope this helps.
Think you can post the fixed pic(s) on extended vent hose routing?

Sponsored

OP
OP

A FORD ABLE

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business
Think you can post the fixed pic(s) on extended vent hose routing?
Wish i could show you but the truck is in storage for winter i will be using it only next April...And we are 2000 miles apart...

OP
OP

A FORD ABLE

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business
That sounds like it could be my problem. Today was the first day I put my Tremor in 4A and started to get a weird odor in the cabin. I have ~1,400 miles on it but all in 2H.
For your info mine was not in 4wd when the smell came . 2wd

OP
OP

A FORD ABLE

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business
My truck has 5500 miles and I only started noticinging this smell after having it at the dealer a couple weeks ago. It's come and gone and I figured the dealership would just tell me "can't duplicate, see ya". Can anyone duplicate it repeatedly or know where to smell to get the odor well known?
Had the exact same response the first time from my dealer. Here's how i did it .
I hooked a trailer on the truck and lowered my window down a bit just to create like an air flow from outside to the inside cabin , and do stops and go like stop signs if you have the same problem as i did you'll smell it , don't let the mechanic drive the truck that didn't work... Good luck

OP
OP

A FORD ABLE

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business
That’s the smell of smugness for getting 1 mpg better than a regular 3.5, lol.

I wonder if it’s just a coating on the electrical connectors connecting the hybrid components? Hopefully it will fade after a little time. If it’s more pronounced when towing; were you charging a TT while towing? Just curious.
LOLL certainly not electrical in my case the smell was chemical like ...