Last edited:

DrTone

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Raptor, 2022 Tremor 402a
Well I guess I better go for a drive. I was excited to be on 4.2.2 and ahead of the curve.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
Are these Ford sanctioned Wi-Fi hotspots or any open / available / unprotected hotspots? I’ve worked in IT and as a hard rule, I do not ever, ever, ever connect any of my devices to “public Wi-Fi”.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just curious...... So you park your truck at Starbucks and connect the truck to their available public Wi-Fi.

What's the real risk?
Not being snarky. (at least not this time 🤣)

By the way, I haven't ever done it. I see no benefit to connecting the truck to Wi-Fi. Certainly not in regards to OTA.

GrandpaD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Platinum PB 4x4 6.5 Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That article addresses a truck as the Wi-Fi client?

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just curious...... So you park your truck at Starbucks and connect the truck to their available public Wi-Fi.

What's the real risk?
Not being snarky. (at least not this time 🤣)

By the way, I haven't ever done it. I see no benefit to connecting the truck to Wi-Fi. Certainly not in regards to OTA.
I imagine that your account credentials are authenticated somehow. I’m sure there’s encryption, but still. There’s a lot of remote control of these vehicles, among other things. We should worry about cybersecurity on all connected devices.

I just wonder if Ford is trying to rely less on AT&T cellular connection… that probably costs them something

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Are these Ford sanctioned Wi-Fi hotspots or any open / available / unprotected hotspots? I’ve worked in IT and as a hard rule, I do not ever, ever, ever connect any of my devices to “public Wi-Fi”.
Well I understand not connecting to public wifi with a device that has sensitive information on it like banking passwords or possibly financial information. I don't see much danger in doing a public wifi connection to my truck. Hackers can't install damaging software.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I understand not connecting to public wifi with a device that has sensitive information on it like banking passwords or possibly financial information. I don't see much danger in doing a public wifi connection to my truck. Hackers can't install damaging software.
Famous last words!

I know high level cyber security folks and they concede that we should all be terrified. That said, yeah, your truck is unlikely to be hacked. But some of the iPhone security vulnerabilities have been staggering, so if Apple can’t do it consistently, Ford definitely cannot.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Well I guess I better go for a drive. I was excited to be on 4.2.2 and ahead of the curve.
Same here...I just got 4.2.2 yesterday! We shouldn't complain though....those 2021 guys can't seem to get any updates :confused:.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
This is a Gateway Update. Updates one file.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
What I find odd is that I can already connect to any unsecured wifi? Or at least I think I can. I know my truck connects to xfinitywifi at times, though I don't remember if I had to enter credentials or not.

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Famous last words!

I know high level cyber security folks and they concede that we should all be terrified. That said, yeah, your truck is unlikely to be hacked. But some of the iPhone security vulnerabilities have been staggering, so if Apple can’t do it consistently, Ford definitely cannot.
Oh yeah. Nothing better than putting complete trust in third-party outsourced software, whether it be Microsoft or Ford. Can't wait for the day when the OTA critical updates start rolling out to fix a zero-day vulnerability.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm just too old to what-if myself into insomnia.

When vehicles start getting hacked at Starbucks, I'm hoping the news gets around and I am alerted.

Then I WILL take it into consideration.
(except I don't go to Starbucks)

I brew my own at the abode. :)

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
if somebody hacks into my truck and drives off I wont be sad.. I will just call Jake at State Farm, settle up and order a new truck with all the crap Ford left off my '23. win win.
Sponsored