Sponsored

Power delivery, throttle response, and changing character

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
Lets hear your take on your powerboost’s power delivery characteristics and if you have observed any changes after the initial delivery.

Has her personality changed?

My before and after (consistent fuel source and grade):

I thought it was pretty punchy, relatively good throttle response at tip in even in normal mode, pleasantly hyperactive in Sport. The first couple hundred miles it seemed over eager under 45 mph, on the edge of unintentional wheel spin taking off in certain conditions under 15 mph. Transmission was learning, so produces imitate form shifts with occasional chirp on moderate throttle.

After 1,200 miles, it’s not the same beasty. Throttle response seems to have minor hesitation in normal. The eagerness is gone, taking much more deliberate throttle to get moving with any authority. Wheelspin is no longer a worry. Sport mode will help throttle response, but is also softer than before , missing that hyperactive feel. Transmission shifts are more prolonged. Full throttle is meet by an extended wind up time as it processes a kickdown, gets the 3.5 spinning faster, and then locks the torque converter for a lunge forward. Seemingly with less steam than it used to.
Staying in it finds full throttle shifts mushier. Could almost suspect some slip in the wet clutch pack to explain the feeling as well as it not seeing any wheelspin of a standing start with TC off in 2wd.

Thanks for any shares.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DEWAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT FX4 POWERBOOST
Yes, the truck feels different everytime I go to work,
Trans might as well be made of marshmello

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Sounds like you are getting used to it. 25k miles on mine and feels like day 1. Sport is still excessive. I still can’t keep the back end in line in the wet lol

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Solved in two easy steps.

1. Put it in Sport mode.

2. Give it throttle..

Ford F-150 Power delivery, throttle response, and changing character jeremy-clarkson-power

Ford F-150 Power delivery, throttle response, and changing character top-gear-clarkson

OP
OP

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Appreciate the well intentioned feedback based comments. Was hoping for some more real world impressions.

Thanks @Oxford_Powerboost for adding your impression about use over time. Between you and @DEWAI that’s the entire spectrum LOL.

Yeah, I assumed that accommodating might be a first impression so thought to add that’s not what it is. Granted observational differences are subjective but the variation seems pretty noticeable, but don’t have another to do some back to back. That would be great!

After I get it back, I think I might try resetting my transmission tables in case it picked up some bad habits.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Appreciate the well intentioned feedback based comments. Was hoping for some more real world impressions.

Thanks @Oxford_Powerboost for adding your impression about use over time. Between you and @DEWAI that’s the entire spectrum LOL.

Yeah, I assumed that accommodating might be a first impression so thought to add that’s not what it is. Granted observational differences are subjective but the variation seems pretty noticeable, but don’t have another to do some back to back. That would be great!

After I get it back, I think I might try resetting my transmission tables in case it picked up some bad habits.
Resetting them when the system is not exhibiting any specifically undesirable behavior won't hurt anything but may not provide any significant improvement either. It's really only of benefit if for example the transmission picked up an excessively harsh shift point and is repeating that, or multiple gear skips, or left in normal mode while towing and not locking out 8-10.

OP
OP

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s the thing, undesirable is not just harshness, excess lockup time and delayed shifting is as well. The difference is, more people complain about the harsh shifts because they feel soft is better so that’s the context that has been associated for relearn here.

The beauty of a relearn is that it’s agnostic to the specific ‘complaint’. Its meant to normalize for designed operating range. It should be just as likely to improve a problem at the other end of scale.

If it only temporarily returns to the original state I recall before it gravitates back to current vs no difference at all, it’s still a good date point for me.

Really surprised only a couple folks wanted to share driving impressions though.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Those were just some examples. There are lots of reasons to reset the tables and no harm in doing it when you want.

As for driving impressions I only have 1200 miles on mine since buying it a little over a month ago so I wouldn't feel right saying it's no different than day one at this point.

OP
OP

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think it’s totally fair.Especially if you have a good sense due drivability factors. Date points are all good.

Mine only had 1350 on it when I asked for the feedback. I remember the district points along the way certain aspects changed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lets make that 1 step!

1. Get a tune
Fixed it! LOL

Didn’t mention this above, but if resetting doesn’t give any improvement, that’s exactly where I’m going. Don’t care about the 500hp.

PBs don’t have enough service history yet, but with the power increase and extra heft they hurl around, the current full throttle shift strategy is likely to see a fair number of 10R80’s in for prematurely worn clutches.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Fixed it! LOL

Didn’t mention this above, but if resetting doesn’t give any improvement, that’s exactly where I’m going. Don’t care about the 500hp.

PBs don’t have enough service history yet, but with the power increase and extra heft they hurl around, the current full throttle shift strategy is likely to see a fair number of 10R80’s in for prematurely worn clutches.
The 10R80has been around for nearly 6 years now and it's a fairly solid transmission. From what I have seen they easily handle upwards of 675+ HP and 800 lbs/ft torque before you really start having to worry about burning clutches or breaking stuff. A co-worker of mine has a supercharged 5.0 mustang that's his daily driver. Dyno pulls have it 702/820 to the wheels on a stock 10R80. He's had it like that for nearly 3 years and it's still going strong. Even with chipping the PB and running full turbo back exhaust, you're still within the known safe range as long as you don't abuse it. Like say by doing constant 2-300ft long burnouts or multiple drag pulls with it. Then you're gonna fry the clutches along with other stuff.

On a side note a properly built 10R80 can easily top out around 1K HP or more like the 1400 HP monsther Batten Motorsports built using one.

OP
OP

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Google, Mustangs, and built transmissions with none of their stock parts…

:D
Sponsored