Sponsored

platforms to sell a Ford F-150 on?

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
As the title states what are some good and legit platforms to list a used F-150 for sale on?
I'm talking like reasonable offers, cordial individuals, no spam bots and etc...
Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Sadly selling a nice vehicle privately can be a total crap shoot. Never do anything over the internet and if you do always have a face to face meeting. If your town offers a "transaction" area for the residents to sell stuff, utilize that area other than your home. These areas have cameras so there might be a little more security in these spaces.

Unless you get lucky (and you could) you will probably have to deal with a lot of sob stories. I have some long convoluted sad story to tell you and that is why you need to sell it to me for less, or take half now and I will make payments, etc. The stories can be many.

If you go to sell this and someone drives up with a $500 POS (with no plates) and says give me your keys I want to test drive it, do not do it. You might be kissing your truck good bye. :)

Now these are horror stories and it does not have to go this way. You may have a wonderful selling experience and if you use your head, and your instincts, you will probably be fine. Just never be in a hurry to sell it and that will help you. If you are in a hurry find a dealer that keys in on the used car market and they will usually pay you a little more than "fair trade in value". Private sale could bring will bring you more, but you just need to be aware of the downsides and guard against them.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide and how you make out.

Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I've bought and sold a number of things on Craig's List. Tools, Tractors, vehicles, rental property etc. A tractor collector friend of mine, prefers Facebook Market Place but I don't FB so ...

I agree with the tip about meeting in a public place, whenever feasible. I usually pick a gas station nearby. I'd add that someone should know where, when, who you're meeting and why.

Your own internal radar will help you weed out most scammers via email, or phone. If anything at all feels off, don't do it.

I don't consider it a place to "go fishing", either as a buyer, or a seller. If you want to sell something, price it to move. If you want to buy something, don't chase after something obviously priced too highly. Oh and too good to be true, almost always is.

I don't listen to sob stories. The deal is as advertised. Don't like it, don't take it. But some people consider haggling as a game. I don't care for it but it is the reality. You have to make your own choices how flexible you'll be on price.

In the long past, I also used Tradin Times and Auto Trader but that was pre internet. No idea if they are any good anymore.

DuckDuckGreyDuck

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Chevy Traverse
I second AutoTrader. I was recently looking for a vehicle for my daughter and looked straight to the private sellers on AutoTrader because they aren’t going to be trying to fund their dealerships with this vehicle sale. If you have a low mileage vehicle with a Carfax you can share with potential buyers, I think you’d get good response. Good Luck!

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
As the title states what are some good and legit platforms to list a used F-150 for sale on?
I'm talking like reasonable offers, cordial individuals, no spam bots and etc...
Alright, you've got my curiosity piqued. Why are you selling and what are you planning to replace it with? No judgement...just genuinely curious.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
I would check with CarMax and places like that before I would consider a private sale.

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I've sold one car via Craigslist, but it was a 10 year old Accord with 200k miles. It sold within two days and I got asking price. The buyers were a guy and his 16yr old son who needed a first car. They were members of my credit union, so the clerk was able to do a transfer. It was almost too good to be true.

I have also sold four cars to Carmax. Some ~10 years old and some only a few years old.

While private sale will net a couple grand more, the hassle sometimes isn't worth it.

We have an 11 year old Outback and a 13 year old Odyssey. They are primarily used to transport our 11 and 14 year old dogs. I'm planning to sell them in a couple years when we become empty nesters and will debate Craigslist vs Carmax, but the spread has to be worth the hassle.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Carmax used to be the highest resale. But with their issues, they've dropped.
I sold my wheels this weekend on FB, but Autotrader, another I've eyed is this site, ran by a father and son Youtube, but has great search features.

https://my.caredge.com/buy?sortBy=dist&sortOrder=asc

OP
OP
fordhouston

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alright, you've got my curiosity piqued. Why are you selling and what are you planning to replace it with? No judgement...just genuinely curious.
nothing is 100% set in stone yet lol.. however i want to at least be able to have some knowledge sooner than later when the time comes.

OP
OP
fordhouston

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would check with CarMax and places like that before I would consider a private sale.
Carmax used to be the highest resale. But with their issues, they've dropped.
I sold my wheels this weekend on FB, but Autotrader, another I've eyed is this site, ran by a father and son Youtube, but has great search features.

https://my.caredge.com/buy?sortBy=dist&sortOrder=asc
Carmax is no longer giving out high bids like they used to historically speaking lol

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
nothing is 100% set in stone yet lol.. however i want to at least be able to have some knowledge sooner than later when the time comes.
Sponsored