Towing an Airstream with Gen14, and ProPower 7.2

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
I have been following the issue on the Airstream forum. Same reports for the PPoB 2.2 kW version. Has to be a design problem with all the reports, not an installation problem.

I removed the stock converter/inverter in my Airstream and put in a Victron MultiPlus. Works great.

IMG_7635.jpeg

IMG_7636.jpeg

strangely - I dont get ground faults from the built in Onan QD10k....or when on shore power *OR* when ive run a smaller generator (aka Honda 2kw).

Im using a stand alone Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV converter charger.

the Victron Multiplus includes an inverter (something I dont need)...and by comparison its EXTREMELY expensive!
Sponsored

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
strangely - I dont get ground faults from the built in Onan QD10k....or when on shore power *OR* when ive run a smaller generator (aka Honda 2kw).

Im using a stand alone Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV converter charger.

the Victron Multiplus includes an inverter (something I dont need)...and by comparison its EXTREMELY expensive!
Yes, all the reports I have seen have been with the Progressive Dynamics converter. Clearly a design issue for the Progressive Dynamics product.

Given what the Multiplus II can do (inverting, charging @ 100 amps, and PowerAssist) I think It is a good value at $2,900. The price has gone up over $1,000 in 2 years, however. PowerAssist is the game changer as it can almost turn a PPoB into a 50 amp system when transient power demands exceed the capacity of PPoB by adding another 20 amps of power on L1 using the batteries.

But most importantly the Victron MultiPlus II plays nicely with PPoB.

Last edited:

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Nate has the one of the best channels and websites I've found for DIY RV solar.

From how to cut wire, to sizing calculators and up to date, code requirements.

https://explorist.life/

Also, this is handy to know.

"Yes, all the reports I have seen have been with the Progressive Dynamics converter. Clearly a design issue for the Progressive Dynamics product."

As the camper we've decided on has a WFCO.

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nate has the one of the best channels and websites I've found for DIY RV solar.

From how to cut wire, to sizing calculators and up to date, code requirements.

https://explorist.life/

As the camper we've decided on has a WFCO.
have you confirmed that the WFCO doesnt create ground faults when connected to the ProPower On Board Generator?

$250 bucks (for the WF-9865-AD) is reasonable (assuming it is an intelligent charger).
I like the Victron stuff - but 3k is ridiculous and it includes functions that I dont need.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
have you confirmed that the WFCO doesnt create ground faults when connected to the ProPower On Board Generator?
I have not. We don't have it yet. Just going from the problem reports being from Progressive Dynamics gear.

There are a number of vids of powerboosts powering TTs. I don't recall any mentioning the converter issue.

Sponsored

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have not. We don't have it yet. Just going from the problem reports being from Progressive Dynamics gear.

There are a number of vids of powerboosts powering TTs. I don't recall any mentioning the converter issue.
there are folks on the air stream forum that have mentioned the converter/charger issue....but ive not seen anyone post a resolution.

I'll probably order the WFCO and see if it works....nothing else I can return it (amazon prime)!
If the WFCO doesnt solve the issue I can always run an external charger to keep my house batteries charged.....itll be RARE that I use the F150 to power the RV (especially given the fact that I have an Onan QD10k built into the RV.

Last edited:

Springfish

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
I'm having similar issues:

2022 Bambi 22FB
2023 Ford F150 XLT with 7.2 Pro Power

When the Airstream is connected to shore power at my house, everything functions as expected. However, when I attempt to connect to the Ford's onboard generator, I'm met with a constant "Ground Fault" error message.

I've read just about every forum and group thread on this issue that exists, but nothing has solved the problem. I've even gone as far as to disconnect/bypass the hardwired watchdog surge protector and autoformer to eliminate any additional variables.

All GFI's (both on outlets and in the breaker box on the Airstream) have been reset and tested.

Hell, I even took my truck to a friend's house and tested the onboard generator on his RV (rPod) and it worked flawlessly.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I think my last resort to take the Airstream to the dealer is my only hope.

GHF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4X4 SuperCab 2.7L Ecoboost
Here’s a thought…your trailer’s power management system may not like to power produced by your truck’s generator. By this I mean that your generator may have a “floating” neutral and your trailer’s electrical management system isn’t compatible with it. I use a Honda generator to occasionally power my trailer and I have to plug in neutral-ground plug to make it work. These plugs are available online and in most big box stores. Assuming you have a duplex receptacle on your generator, plug one of these into one and then try powering your trailer…. At risk is a trip to the hardware store and the cost of a plug. Good luck.

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Does anyone have any thoughts? I think my last resort to take the Airstream to the dealer is my only hope.
This is a known incompatibility with the DC converters used in Airstreams. There must be some kind of neutral/ground connection in those converters that make the PowerBoost unhappy.

You will need to find a compatible DC converter.

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
I've got a '21 PB with the 7.2 Pro Power and a '22 Airstream Basecamp 20X ... and have never had a problem. Mind you, the Basecamp doesn't have an inverter, so not sure if that's it.

Sponsored

Springfish

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
SOLVED!

This may not work for everyone, so please don't do this if you're planning on being plugged into shore power at RV parks, etc.

Removing the GROUND wire from my Airstream smart plug did the trick. I simply removed the ground, trimmed it and screwed a wire cap on the end and wrapped in electrical tape. Whatever ground fault issue was happening with the F150, has been resolved. Ultimately, I'll figure out a more permanent fix, but this will get me through Burning Man in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the help!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
SOLVED!

This may not work for everyone, so please don't do this if you're planning on being plugged into shore power at RV parks, etc.

Removing the GROUND wire from my Airstream smart plug did the trick. I simply removed the ground, trimmed it and screwed a wire cap on the end and wrapped in electrical tape. Whatever ground fault issue was happening with the F150, has been resolved. Ultimately, I'll figure out a more permanent fix, but this will get me through Burning Man in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the help!
Something may end up burning, be careful.

Springfish

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
Something may end up burning, be careful.
Turns out I was able to connect the ground and everything is functioning correctly. I'm guessing the ground wire must have been loose to begin with. Alls well that ends well!
Sponsored