First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
So, Ford has had at least 3 different PCM software versions out there for the Powerboost now, and a TSB to try and get people off of the first one. I wanted to put some info here to try and document the changes that are seen between them. If you have a different software revision than any of the ones listed here, feel free to add to the thread.

Stock - Software P/N ML3A-14C204- MSF
This is what I think is on everyone's truck from the factory. It is the one with harsh shifting at times, especially noticeable when skipping gears (1<>3, 5<>7). Harsh shifting wasn't as bad for some as it was for others, but it was still an issue. Ford released TSB 21-2407 in November last year to address the shifting issue. It supposedly was corrected in April for trucks being built, so if you have a truck built after April 2021, you may have a different revision.

Update #1 - Software P/N ML3A-14C204-MSH
I don't know when this officially came out, but I would assume sometime in November '21, possibly as early as April '21 per the TSB listed above. It was meant to address harsh shifting. I applied it to my truck at the beginning of March and drove around with it for ~2 weeks. The biggest difference that I noticed with it was how the truck went from EV to ICE+EV. Previously, the transmission seemed to engage as the engine was coming up to speed. With this update, the engine would come up to speed and then engage with the drive train. For me, I did not experience any harsh shifting at all after performing the update and clearing the adaptive shift tables. Shifts between gears, regardless of power delivery method (ICE and/or EV) also seemed to be smoother.

Update #2 - Software P/N ML3A-14C204-MSJ
This update came out within the past week, and seemed to coincide with the BlueCruise update getting pushed to FDRS. I have minimal drive time on it so far. What I have noticed is that shifting isn't quite as refined as the last revision. I didn't initially reset the adaptive shift table when it was applied, so that may have been part of it. I haven't noticed an issue since doing so, but again, I have minimal drive time with it. It is still not as bad as the original software, but initial experience isn't as smooth as Update #1 software. What I have seen is that the truck will go into EV only mode at higher speeds now. I've had it shift into Electric Only at speeds >45 MPH at least 3 times without needing to touch the brake, and while still applying some throttle, not just coasting.

For anyone experiencing rough shifting, go in and have the dealer apply the latest PCM update for you and also have them clear/reset the adaptive shift tables when they do. In my opinion, it seems like that should be done any time the software is updated. You can get your current PCM software revision by looking through your stock AsBuilt data from the Motorcraft Service Site (download the file and module info is at the bottom/end). I believe you can also get it in FORScan. FDRS is also an option, but that is cost prohibitive if all you want is the current software version. If you do go get the software updated, I'd recommend finding out what the version is before going to the dealer, and checking again after they are done. Maybe even ask for a printout of the software version from them before/after to verify they do the update. From the members that have done the updates themselves with FDRS, everyone has said it has made an improvement for them.
Sponsored

BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost (Job 2)
So, Ford has had at least 3 different PCM software versions out there for the Powerboost now, and a TSB to try and get people off of the first one. I wanted to put some info here to try and document the changes that are seen between them. If you have a different software revision than any of the ones listed here, feel free to add to the thread.

Stock - Software P/N ML3A-14C204- MSF
This is what I think is on everyone's truck from the factory. It is the one with harsh shifting at times, especially noticeable when skipping gears (1<>3, 5<>7). Harsh shifting wasn't as bad for some as it was for others, but it was still an issue. Ford released TSB 21-2407 in November last year to address the shifting issue. It supposedly was corrected in April for trucks being built, so if you have a truck built after April 2021, you may have a different revision.

Update #1 - Software P/N ML3A-14C204-MSH
I don't know when this officially came out, but I would assume sometime in November '21, possibly as early as April '21 per the TSB listed above. It was meant to address harsh shifting. I applied it to my truck at the beginning of March and drove around with it for ~2 weeks. The biggest difference that I noticed with it was how the truck went from EV to ICE+EV. Previously, the transmission seemed to engage as the engine was coming up to speed. With this update, the engine would come up to speed and then engage with the drive train. For me, I did not experience any harsh shifting at all after performing the update and clearing the adaptive shift tables. Shifts between gears, regardless of power delivery method (ICE and/or EV) also seemed to be smoother.

Update #2 - Software P/N ML3A-14C204-MSJ
This update came out within the past week, and seemed to coincide with the BlueCruise update getting pushed to FDRS. I have minimal drive time on it so far. What I have noticed is that shifting isn't quite as refined as the last revision. I didn't initially reset the adaptive shift table when it was applied, so that may have been part of it. I haven't noticed an issue since doing so, but again, I have minimal drive time with it. It is still not as bad as the original software, but initial experience isn't as smooth as Update #1 software. What I have seen is that the truck will go into EV only mode at higher speeds now. I've had it shift into Electric Only at speeds >45 MPH at least 3 times without needing to touch the brake, and while still applying some throttle, not just coasting.

For anyone experiencing rough shifting, go in and have the dealer apply the latest PCM update for you and also have them clear/reset the adaptive shift tables when they do. In my opinion, it seems like that should be done any time the software is updated. You can get your current PCM software revision by looking through your stock AsBuilt data from the Motorcraft Service Site (download the file and module info is at the bottom/end). I believe you can also get it in FORScan. FDRS is also an option, but that is cost prohibitive if all you want is the current software version. If you do go get the software updated, I'd recommend finding out what the version is before going to the dealer, and checking again after they are done. Maybe even ask for a printout of the software version from them before/after to verify they do the update. From the members that have done the updates themselves with FDRS, everyone has said it has made an improvement for them.
Are you a job 1 truck? What is the PCM hardware p/n? I ask because the software is specific to the hardware, so these software versions will not apply to everyone. For instance the lastest version of my PCM software, for my Job 2 truck, is ML3A-14C204-TPD. My truck is a Powerboost as well.

Last edited:

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Interesting. I have to assume I’m on Update #1 unless this could’ve been a background OTA thing. I’ve never had shifting issues, my 1-3 is great and it never goes 5-7. Only skips 2nd sometimes, but usually goes through every gear. September 2021 build. But with your comment in the most recent update, I’ve seen mine drop itself into EV mode at up to 53 before while under throttle. Seems to be only when it’s very charged and there’s no headwind. Normally anything over like 45 requires a brake tap but every so often it drops itself into EV at 50

OP
OP
imnuts

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I don't know if '21 Job 2 and later trucks got it, but another PCM update came out sometime in July. I finally got around to updating my truck yesterday, and drove it today. I don't have the software versions, but if anyone wants them, I'll grab them and post here or update this later.

From a hybrid standpoint, I haven't really noticed any change in operation from previous. Given how subtle things can be for electric vs hybrid operation, it could take some time to see any changes.

I did notice a change in the shift strategy with the transmission in my limited use today though. Shifting is more refined, even moreso than the first update. I also noticed today that in Normal drive mode, the truck is occasionally using 2nd gear. I don't know what variables make the truck decide to shift 1-2-3 vs 1-3, but it seems to be in higher load situations. The 1-3 shift is much smoother than I've experienced in the past as well.

Mike_D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Hi imnuts,
I wanted to try and check out my PowerBoost truck PCM software versions so I plugged my VIN into the Motorcraft Service Site and downloaded my AsBuilt data file, opened it up in Notepad, and searched on "ML3A-14C". My file says:

ML3A-14C367-XB
ML3A-14C366-XB

Mine's a 2022 F-150 PowerBoost purchased in July 2022. Do my PCM software versions make any sense to you? Thanks.
Sponsored