First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired
Show me their documentation. I have seen other stuff, I'll go look for it... In the meantime showme.
This is just one of the sources. The Ford sales literature also explains the process:
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2009/0...f-the-year-award-for-engine-block-coating-sy/

I am not concerned about the process. Mercedes has used a similar process since at least the mid 1980’s. It was used in their M119 and M113 aluminum V8’s and I am sure many others.

My point is that you won’t find cast iron in your oil analysis to tell you about your cylinder wear. There is no telling what is in the cylinder coating, so it will be difficult to figure out what is the cylinder wear component.
The exception is the 2.7, it has a cast iron block and cylinders.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
While you're looking, I'm not impressed by a fancy technique description. But it sounds like a fancy way of depositing, in this case steel spray, onto a cylinder wall. The Navy tried that on some lobe compressors on a submarine component, didn't work well. Here are three articles of interest (PS they all sleak of steel cylnders):
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=144
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/0910phr-ford-ecoboost-six-cylinder/
https://dustrunnersauto.com/ford-3-5-ecoboost/

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Your article describes a process. It does not specify that the 3.5L EcoBoost or PowerBoost engines use it. Nor does it say what the sprayed on material is. Could be steel or iron... which would be just another way of sleeving. I have the Ford Maual, many pages. Believe I've seen sleeving mentioned, will take me some time to find it. In the meantime you need to find a reference to use of this specifically in the 3.5L EcoBoost/PowerBoost engine.

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Went back and looked at Fe levels in the three other engines I've done analysis on and the values are consistent across all four engines. The Fe (iron) values are virtually the same.

Sponsored

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired
Went back and looked at Fe levels in the three other engines I've done analysis on and the values are consistent across all four engines. The Fe (iron) values are virtually the same.
Nowhere in the Ford literature does it say that the engines since 2015 have cast iron sleeves and only refer to the process of a spray plasma coating on the aluminum cylinders. I found previous threads on the forum on the subject and the ones that I found came to the conclusion that the process was proprietary and no details were available.. The aluminum blocks do not have cast iron sleeves..
There is information on machining the aluminum blocks to insert wet sleeves to increase the cylinder bore to increase displacement. The process does not require any extra steps that would be needed to remove existing sleeves.

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Sorry, you have not passed the credibility test yet. Everything you put up is anecdotal, none of it mentions silicon, and the plasma spray can be used to spray on iron or steel... effectively a liner after machining. So keep on with the homework. Also not that the three articles I showed all speak directly to sleeves. And like I said, the Fe content in my current oil analysis is consistent with my three previous monitored engines.