Sponsored

No more battery problems.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I futzed with and babied and "accepted" that this truck, with all the tech, was going to need regular charging.

To be clear, it never left me stranded. There were more minor things. Near constant remote features shut downs, deep sleep modes, occasional big screen reboots. All Gremlin-ish in nature. PIA and confidence hurting but not serious.

Then the, Charging System Service Soon, Warning came. Every single start up. Charging the battery didn't affect it at all. I couldn't let it go.

There is more to the story but to get to the point, just try this, because in near a month, I haven't had a single issue since AND I'm getting frequent updates now.

This one time, forget the procedure for charging the battery, incorporating the BMS sensor and fully charge the battery, directly to the posts, then when finished, immediately reset your BMS (Hat Tip @UGADawg96 ).

Thats it. Not a peep since. Perfect.

I did have to do the reset procedure twice (don't ask me?) to get the flicker but it appears that somehow, the real SOC in the batt and the data the BMS was working with got out of synch and now they're back in.

No new battery or gadgetry to buy, no frustrating trips to the dealer. Just try the above and see if it doesn't make a bunch of gremlins disappear.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CSM

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Will this also reset your battery measured lifetime?

OP
OP
Davexxxx

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have no idea.

Not sure I care.

It did solve all the warnings I was having. Simple as that.

Mszczewski

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Where is this information available? Aside from the truck telling me it is time to replace the battery, does this impact any functions or capabilities?

Sponsored

JoeRedFly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Working
Did the same with the same results, she's been happy for months. I think sitting at the plant/shipping/dealer with a dead battery for months screws with the BMS, just needs a good charge and reset.

OP
OP
Davexxxx

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did the same with the same results, she's been happy for months. I think sitting at the plant/shipping/dealer with a dead battery for months screws with the BMS, just needs a good charge and reset.
While that is probably true, it wasn't the case with mine.

I had my truck within a month of it's manufacture.

CSM

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Where is this information available? Aside from the truck telling me it is time to replace the battery, does this impact any functions or capabilities?
I don't know. I just see this process as something people do when they put in a new battery. I don't know if the life of the battery is taken into account in any way by the truck, or by anyone servicing the vehicle.

I am considering trying this out, as well. But I thought I would ask.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I futzed with and babied and "accepted" that this truck, with all the tech, was going to need regular charging.

To be clear, it never left me stranded. There were more minor things. Near constant remote features shut downs, deep sleep modes, occasional big screen reboots. All Gremlin-ish in nature. PIA and confidence hurting but not serious.

Then the, Charging System Service Soon, Warning came. Every single start up. Charging the battery didn't affect it at all. I couldn't let it go.

There is more to the story but to get to the point, just try this, because in near a month, I haven't had a single issue since AND I'm getting frequent updates now.

This one time, forget the procedure for charging the battery, incorporating the BMS sensor and fully charge the battery, directly to the posts, then when finished, immediately reset your BMS (Hat Tip @UGADawg96 ).

Thats it. Not a peep since. Perfect.

I did have to do the reset procedure twice (don't ask me?) to get the flicker but it appears that somehow, the real SOC in the batt and the data the BMS was working with got out of synch and now they're back in.

No new battery or gadgetry to buy, no frustrating trips to the dealer. Just try the above and see if it doesn't make a bunch of gremlins disappear.

I remember seeing a Youtube video from a Ford tech about the BMS on the 14th gen and how it will cause the truck to start doing funky things at/around the 3 year mark. Something to do with the age of the battery and some jackass engineer thinking they know better has programmed it so it starts shutting modules down and entering deep sleep more frequently because a 2.5-3 year old battery has to be weaker and won't be capable of maintianing the system like a new battery.

Mine started recently doing this so I just reset the BMS and what do you know all my weird electical gremlins like you were expierincing mysteriously stopped. almost as if I dropped a brand new battery in it.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I remember seeing a Youtube video from a Ford tech about the BMS on the 14th gen and how it will cause the truck to start doing funky things at/around the 3 year mark. Something to do with the age of the battery and some jackass engineer thinking they know better has programmed it so it starts shutting modules down and entering deep sleep more frequently because a 2.5-3 year old battery has to be weaker and won't be capable of maintianing the system like a new battery.

Mine started recently doing this so I just reset the BMS and what do you know all my weird electical gremlins like you were expierincing mysteriously stopped. almost as if I dropped a brand new battery in it.
I find it amazing that a programmer would do what you describe... But I cannot argue with the results... But then keep in mind that software accumulates random bits. These go into a "Bit bucket" and when that bit bucket gets full, really funny things happen. Your computer is calculating things all the time... So what does it do with those digits beyond its register size? Ya know, maybe its an irrational number. Those excess digits go somewhere and somewhere is the bit bucket. If they haven't programmed the software to periodically empty it... it'll empty itself all over your truck... Or you can do a cold startup. You think I'm kidding?? In the early days of digital computers on nuclear subs we had to learn the hard way that every so often you had to do a shutdown & cold start... Hm-m-m... So, like I said I cannot argue with your results. :)

Ranger621

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
I had the dealer do exactly what you did and it only lasted about two weeks, and now its doing everything again.

Ranger621

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
It's not something that can be accessed, in the vehicle. It can be easily seen using an ODBMX+ with the app. It would look like this.

Screenshot_20240410_084735.jpg
I have the OBDLink app, where do I find all of the battery monitoring displays or PID's? I can't find any of the displays you are showing here except for the battery voltage. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored