Need help

krony506

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 powerboost
I have a 2023 Lariat poweboost. I don’t drive far to work ( 1 mile)and my truck is always in a deep sleep and everything gets shut off due to the low battery. Is there any way to see the percentage of the batteries? The dashboard and infotainment center sucks for information.
Sponsored

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
I have a 2023 Lariat poweboost. I don’t drive far to work ( 1 mile)and my truck is always in a deep sleep and everything gets shut off due to the low battery. Is there any way to see the percentage of the batteries? The dashboard and infotainment center sucks for information.
Lot’s of options from smart folks.
I drive my last 0.5-1 mile home in tow/haul mode. Truck hybrid battery SOC consistently around 67% (higher than sitting in idle until the battery charges to around 63%).
My biggest problem is remembering to switch drive mode. BTW, mine always starts in normal mode.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
10a smart charger every other day after performing a full charge. I had the same situation and just bought an EV beater.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I work from home and only drive my daughter to school (about 3 miles away) and I don't really drive it anywhere else during the week. I also never have deep sleep issues, even when it hit 18F last week during the freeze.

Here's all you need to do. Go in with Forscan and up the battery state of charge to 95%. (AGM batteries perform much better at a 95-100% charge state than they do at Ford''s default 80%) Take the truck out for a good long drive at least once a week. About 35-45 min should do the trick. Use remote start regularly and leave it run for 10 or so minutes before you drive it. The combination of the regular long drive and letting it "idle" will keep the battery in a much better charge state and you should be able to go at least 7-10 days without starting the truck before it enters deep sleep.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
1 mile drives would be tough on any modern vehicle with connectivity features.
But a Powerboost seems to be especially egregious. And honestly, it's not really much of a "Hybrid" in those circumstances either.

But it's still an awesome truck regardless!

I don't see how you could possibly avoid an external charging routine if you intend to keep the truck fully functional at all times.

As for knowing when it needs to be charged, I personally would put a cheap Bluetooth voltage meter on the battery so you can see remotely, without disturbing the truck, when the static voltage drops below 12.3V.

I think that is just above the threshold where the truck starts getting quirky?

AppRolls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch Powerboost
I don’t think people realize how much power these new trucks - or any modern vehicle - draw off of the 12v battery.

I‘m a big fan of HM’s “fan speed at 5+” while on short trips. Those are the tips that I’m here for!

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'87 F250 460 5 Speed, 2023 302A PB 157"
I don’t think people realize how much power these new trucks - or any modern vehicle - draw off of the 12v battery.

I‘m a big fan of HM’s “fan speed at 5+” while on short trips. Those are the tips that I’m here for!
I've done this since day one with my PB and not one issue. Now I have a tiny amp pushing the rear speakers running off the aux battery and still no problems. This works!

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
One simple thing to keep an eye on is the voltage running into the battery. The higher the voltage the more its discharged.

You can buy cheap devices that not only display voltage but also charge using USBs. Right after a start you can expect to see just under 15vs. Drive a good enough distance and you'll see that number drop as the battery charge increases. What's good enough? Depends on how discharged it is. Every start is a major draw on the pool of power. Going on nice 30 mile drives a few times will quickly cause the voltage display to drop. Do it enough and you'll all of a sudden start seeing 12.xvolts appearing.

Sponsored

Hendog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Are you in Low power mode? The generator "switch" cycles from Generator, off, low power mode. I just went thru this. Dealer had no idea, but read something on this forum and it seems to be working. I couldn't get the app to work either because in low power mode.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I'm not familiar with this one, care to elaborate?

OP
OP

krony506

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 powerboost

This has not worked for me.
Are you in Low power mode? The generator "switch" cycles from Generator, off, low power mode. I just went thru this. Dealer had no idea, but read something on this forum and it seems to be working. I couldn't get the app to work either because in low power mode.
I am not sure I understand what you’re saying. I am really new to the Powerboost and feel so dumb and I am gear head

OP
OP

krony506

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 powerboost
I work from home and only drive my daughter to school (about 3 miles away) and I don't really drive it anywhere else during the week. I also never have deep sleep issues, even when it hit 18F last week during the freeze.

Here's all you need to do. Go in with Forscan and up the battery state of charge to 95%. (AGM batteries perform much better at a 95-100% charge state than they do at Ford''s default 80%) Take the truck out for a good long drive at least once a week. About 35-45 min should do the trick. Use remote start regularly and leave it run for 10 or so minutes before you drive it. The combination of the regular long drive and letting it "idle" will keep the battery in a much better charge state and you should be able to go at least 7-10 days without starting the truck before it enters deep sleep.
What device are you using for FORscan?

AppRolls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch Powerboost
I'm not familiar with this one, care to elaborate?
I can’t remember the specifics, but on short trips where you’re not driving enough to compensate for the drain on the 12v battery, if you set your fan speed to 5 or more, Ford’s battery management system allows for a higher voltage to recharge your battery.

I don’t yet have an OBD2 monitor, so I haven’t tested it myself, but I live in a cold climate with the truck outside and I’ve not had a battery issue in 28 months/50k miles.
Sponsored