First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 F150 Limited
Occupation
IT Management
What is the maximum amount of boost a 3.5L will safely handle? Asking for a friendšŸ˜‰
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
What is the maximum amount of boost a 3.5L will safely handle? Asking for a friendšŸ˜‰
I canā€™t say for sure what that value is, but I used to run a 5-star tune on my former ā€˜18 with the 3.5 that maxed at 19 psi. I think good tuners are aware safe boost limits and program accordingly.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Remind your friend that the 'max boost' the engine can 'handle', even short-term, will vary a lot depending on timing of fuel injection, ignition spark, and valves, as well as fuel octane. Tuners designed to push max-boost beyond OE spec make a appropriate dynamic adjustments to those timing factors as well as having stated minimum octane requirements.

OP
OP
Shyrax

Shyrax

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 F150 Limited
Occupation
IT Management
The question is more for reference than anything. I read different threads on different boards with people stating they are running such and such tune with such and such different mods boost readings in the mid and upper 20s. I thought the engines in OE spec were only built to handle psi in the low 20s. Was just curious if anyone knew the true number.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
IMO 'can handle' and 'built to handle' are really nebulous notions in this context. Any exceedance of OE spec, even with other adjustments intended to keep things in one-piece short / mid-term, is likely to have a negative impact on the ultimate longevity that is part of the goal and basis of the OE design and limits (engine longevity being one of the metrics for defining 'built to handle').

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shyrax

Shyrax

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 F150 Limited
Occupation
IT Management
Ok, we all know that modding could possibly shorten the life span. That is not the question.

The question is still, without any internal modifications, how much boost can the 3.5 eco safely handle?

Iā€™m curious as to the truthfullness of what I have read in other places.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I donā€™t think anyone can answer that question? The real answer is likely whatever max torque (these ECUā€™s target a torque spec) the ECU is programmed to hit. If ford could reasonably get more power with more boost out of this thing, they likely would.

max boost I see depending on weather and octane is between 15 and 18-19 psi

OP
OP
Shyrax

Shyrax

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 F150 Limited
Occupation
IT Management
Thanks

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Sounds like someone wants to test the head bolt stretchyness...

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yea, us long-term 3.5 Ecoboost fans (from 2011 on) have coveted the quality of rods & pistons (skirts) that the power strokes get. Heck, even the 2.7, when it showed up on the scene, got a fancy showroom display from Ford the manufacturer, that proudly had the piston and rod mounted for us to touch. If I remember correctly, the display discussed the similarities with diesel components.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Yea, us long-term 3.5 Ecoboost fans (from 2011 on) have coveted the quality of rods & pistons (skirts) that the power strokes get. Heck, even the 2.7, when it showed up on the scene, got a fancy showroom display from Ford the manufacturer, that proudly had the piston and rod mounted for us to touch. If I remember correctly, the display discussed the similarities with diesel components.
From my understanding the 2.7 was designed to be a turbocharged engine from the beginning hence the stout internals and CGI block.

If I understand correctly the 3.5EB was derived from the Duratec 3.5L. The Duratec was naturally aspirated and designed as such. What I donā€™t know is what changes, if any, were made to the rotating assembly when turbocharging was added. Youā€™d think they would have beefed it up.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA

This video doesnā€™t necessarily talk about max boost but does go into great detail about the history of the eco boost engine and the torture testing itā€™s gone through.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
On a side note, my little 3.0 Powerstroke diesel engine has a 16:1 compression ratio and crams 27 psi of boost into that boom chamber.
But that's a diesel which uses the compression/boost for ignition. Very different build, red line is 4500.
Sponsored