First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Not sure if this is related…but I know if I’m not driving aggressively, and the electric motor is doing some frequent work, my “distance to empty” miles will actually increase…the electric driving will give back some miles to the fuel range. That’s pretty neat.
This can happen regardless of the electric engine. In my '17 2.7l eb if I went on a trip out of town I would often end the trip with more DTE than when I left. I don't drive a lot and when I do it's short distances (like 1 mile at the most) so my normal mpg was pretty bad (16mpg) compared to my highway (could get easily up to 30mpg in that thing)

It just has to do with how you drive it. If you drive it aggressively for a period of time it will adjust the DTE down to account for it, and if you then go easy on it the DTE will go back up.

It's doing its best to account for how it thinks you will drive for the rest of the tank based on recent calculations of your mileage per gallon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
⬆ This is your answer. ⬆

I’d be curious how it was driven. Those mpg numbers are low unless it has larger AT tires. I got 22-23 mpg on stock tires. Now getting 19-20 on 295/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
Yup, @Jloyd98 confirmed that it his own truck has rolled over on Trip 1, so that definitely explains the mileage.

The tires/wheels are stock (20" wheels). I'm guessing the owner was a pretty aggressive drive.

‘22Powerboost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher
This can happen regardless of the electric engine. In my '17 2.7l eb if I went on a trip out of town I would often end the trip with more DTE than when I left. I don't drive a lot and when I do it's short distances (like 1 mile at the most) so my normal mpg was pretty bad (16mpg) compared to my highway (could get easily up to 30mpg in that thing)

It just has to do with how you drive it. If you drive it aggressively for a period of time it will adjust the DTE down to account for it, and if you then go easy on it the DTE will go back up.

It's doing its best to account for how it thinks you will drive for the rest of the tank based on recent calculations of your mileage per gallon.
Oh yes, you are correct for sure. And I’ve seen that too on my ‘19 3.5, but only when traveling long distances/highway where it would do what you described; never around town driving would it ever give me miles back to DTE, as this hybrid will.

However, when it’s using the electric engine/driving, it will throw those miles back in to the DTE as I drive around town too, which makes sense because you’re not using any fuel during electric obviously, and you’re traveling miles when the ICE is not being used, so those miles are being added back to your DTE.

BisonDude

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat, PB, FX4, 7.2kW
No one really answered the important question. Move on - why would you want a one yearish old truck with 30k miles??!

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
No one really answered the important question. Move on - why would you want a one yearish old truck with 30k miles??!
It is a fully loaded Lead Foot Lariat with all the options that have been pulled off the 22s and 23s. In short, it is exactly the truck I want and cannot order any more.

Sponsored

‘22Powerboost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher
It is a fully loaded Lead Foot Lariat with all the options that have been pulled off the 22s and 23s. In short, it is exactly the truck I want and cannot order any more.
29,000+ miles for a year old truck is high, but If you like it, and it has everything you want, and you know it’s been taken care of/maintained, and you feel good about it, then go for it and buy it. It has many many more years of life in it for you.

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
29,000+ miles for a year old truck is high, but If you like it, and it has everything you want, and you know it’s been taken care of/maintained, and you feel good about it, then go for it and buy it. It has many many more years of life in it for you.
I have 28,000on my PB in 17 months. Zero issues. Seems like new. Attached is trip 1 which has not been reset for 27867 miles. About 13.5% total electric and 22 mpg. The total time s not correct at 572 hours as it rolls over every 999. The engine hours in the engine info menu are since the oil service reset mine reads 434 hours right now at 69% oil life. That is independent of the trip odometers. Towing side, MPG in a PB depends on your driving. If you race around between stoplights you ain’t getting 22.

Ford F-150 Wild powerboost numbers? 5288FFF7-C989-45FF-BD47-7E6DC7E4D536

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
I have 28,000on my PB in 17 months. Zero issues. Seems like new. Attached is trip 1 which has not been reset for 27867 miles. About 13.5% total electric and 22 mpg. The total time s not correct at 572 hours as it rolls over every 999. The engine hours in the engine info menu are since the oil service reset mine reads 434 hours right now at 69% oil life. That is independent of the trip odometers. Towing side, MPG in a PB depends on your driving. If you race around between stoplights you ain’t getting 22.

5288FFF7-C989-45FF-BD47-7E6DC7E4D536.jpeg
Correction I’m not sure what the engine hours number refers to. Maybe someone already said earlier.

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
For comparison. Loaded ‘21 Lariat. 12 months ownership. I drive a lot.

Ford F-150 Wild powerboost numbers? B8E80EF9-DA35-4A09-BA05-BB66A111B5C7

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
For comparison. Loaded ‘21 Lariat. 12 months ownership. I drive a lot.

B8E80EF9-DA35-4A09-BA05-BB66A111B5C7.jpeg
That’s cool and you are managing to stay electric a lot. I do a fair amount of highway and that’s zero electric at 80 mph. Also not sure now when the hours roll over as I think you have 1234 hours 47 minutes 2 seconds. I need to pay more attention to when it rolls over. Nice comparison thanks!

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
As far as the mileage goes, usually high mileage/short time interval is indicative of highway mileage.
Perhaps the least wear miles that a vehicle can possibly experience.

Far less number of heat cycles per mileage.
Far less cold starts per mileage.
Far less transmission shifting per mileage
Same for many other components like brakes......

It's entirely possible for that truck to have less wear and tear than an identical truck with 8000 miles. And probably is, in fact, true.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Wow, maybe I haven't been keeping up, what has been pulled off the 22s and 23s as far as features??

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I never reset my Trip2 on my PB.

Truck has 15,826
Trip 2: 5183.8 Total / 2763.4 Electric / MPG 16.9 (that is not a typo)
336 Engine Hours / 35 Idle Hours
Total Time: 621:43:44

I would tend to believe that my truck moves under electric power about 18% of the time. I live in a very hilly area and a good chunk of my miles are highway, where the electric hardly ever jumps in.

In regards to engine hours vs. idle, it is my understanding that engine hours is the total amount of time the engine has been on (at any rpm), while idle hours only accounts for the truck sitting at the idle rpm (stop light, parking lot, driveway, wherever you just sit still). Although I only travel 18% of my miles in electric, it shuts the motor down all the time when I stop, so it is not a stretch for me believing that truck has been "on" for 621 hours, but the engine has only been running 336.
I have similar MPG. I regularly get about 30% electric so in regards to OP's original post that the combustion engine is seeing that poor of mpg, yeah it

Truck has 15,826

I would tend to believe that my truck moves under electric power about 18% of the time. I live in a very hilly area and a good chunk of my miles are highway, where the electric hardly ever jumps in.

In regards to engine hours vs. idle, it is my understanding that engine hours is the total amount of time the engine has been on (at any rpm), while idle hours only accounts for the truck sitting at the idle rpm (stop light, parking lot, driveway, wherever you just sit still). Although I only travel 18% of my miles in electric, it shuts the motor down all the time when I stop, so it is not a stretch for me believing that truck has been "on" for 621 hours, but the engine has only been running 336.
I have similar MPG in the 16-17 range. Highway gets bumped to 18ish.
In regards to OPs question on poor mpg performance of the combustion engine, yeah I can agree it's terrible on some trucks.

I regularly get 30% electric and get 18 mpg meaning my combustion engine averages 12-13 mpg. Dealer got the same, wife got 12 mpg combinedand about 10 mpg combustion only.

Only thing your likely to hear here is it's all the way you drove, it's not. I didn't see the year but these issues rear up about 10% in the 21's, alot less in the 22's.

Now the high mileage in a short period could very well be over 80 all the time or a lot of towing.

Truck has 15,826

I have similar MPG in the 16-17 range. Highway gets bumped to 18ish.
In regards to OPs question on poor mpg performance of the combustion engine, yeah I can agree it's terrible on some trucks.

I regularly get 30% electric and get 18 mpg meaning my combustion engine averages 12-13 mpg. Dealer got the same, wife got 12 mpg combinedand about 10 mpg combustion only.

Only thing your likely to hear here is it's all the way you drive, it's not. I didn't see the year but these issues rear up about 10% in the 21's, alot less in the 22's.

Now the high mileage in a short period, it could very well be because they travel over 80 mph all the time or a lot of towing. I would ask the seller.

Full disclosure I am in the middle of trying to get a buyback on mine ( Ford doesn't really care and has been an extreme pain) because of mpg issues and about 2 dozen other hiccups with my truck.

I would caution any 21 Powerboost that doesn't get good mpg.

@Ford Motor Company Since you have yet to respond to a single one of my tags, fair warning that soon I will be posting 1 issue i have had very so often until i post all 2 dozen issues until i get resolution and eventually go to social media posting the same.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Strange multi-post.
Is that a Tapatalk dilemma?
Just curious.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
The first picture shows a full tank and the DTE is 334 miles, that seems way off for a powerboost.

I do a lot of small trips, and my DTE at full sits around 550-575 per tank.
334 is reasonable if towing. Did the original owner do much towing.
Sponsored

Last edited: