Locking Pet in Truck with AC

StoneGrayKR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
What's the best way to do this? I'm going to toy around with it tomorrow. I dislike the two loud honks that the truck does when walking away from it while the engine is running, with key in pocket.
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
That’s probably about the only way. You’ll need to use FORSCAN to reconfigure it from what I’ve read.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Maybe try leaving one key in the vehicle and carrying the spare FOB. Unless the vehicle won't allow itself to be locked with key in it and no passengers (?). Damn truck is too smart!

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Use remote start?
15 minute max runtime on remote start, which may very well work for @StoneGrayKR . I think that there is also an optional setting that turns engine off if idling for more than 30 minutes.

Sponsored

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Remote start or forscan to remove the double honk. Turning off the double honk was the first thing I did when I got my 16 and will be one of the first things when my 21 gets delivered.

dman17

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
What's the best way to do this? I'm going to toy around with it tomorrow. I dislike the two loud honks that the truck does when walking away from it while the engine is running, with key in pocket.
Got to be careful in Florida as people will smash your windshield to protect your dogs even with the engine running.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
To my knowledge, you only have two options:

1. Hide your fob inside the cab and use the keypad to lock the truck (I do this often when diving, and when I got the '21 with the double-honk I just left my spare in the truck permanently, which apparently is not advised).

2. Use FORscan to disable the double-honk feature (just did this a few days ago - works like a charm!).

The perils of locking a fob in the cab seem to be disputed depending on who you ask... I still intend to do this while diving, kayaking, etc. but no longer need to keep one hidden in the truck full-time.

Sponsored

mnsunset

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150/1965 Mustang
Occupation
Self Employed
Remember when you leave to change the security to perimeter only. Otherwise the dog will set off the alarm when it sets itself shortly after you walk away. I can only speak of the last generation truck. But when you shut it off, it asks you what you want for alarm. Toggle your choice and enter.

I leave my dog in often. I have kept an extra fob in the truck for 5 years with no issues. (I pay my insurance. If someone steals it so be it....)

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Remember when you leave to change the security to perimeter only. Otherwise the dog will set off the alarm when it sets itself shortly after you walk away. I can only speak of the last generation truck. But when you shut it off, it asks you what you want for alarm. Toggle your choice and enter.

I leave my dog in often. I have kept an extra fob in the truck for 5 years with no issues. (I pay my insurance. If someone steals it so be it....)
Make sure to get the dog back.

Teach it to jump out of someone breaks the window.

Could be a costly endeavor with having to repeat the situation for training. You know, rebreaking the window ?

dman17

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
To my knowledge, you only have two options:

1. Hide your fob inside the cab and use the keypad to lock the truck (I do this often when diving, and when I got the '21 with the double-honk I just left my spare in the truck permanently, which apparently is not advised).

2. Use FORscan to disable the double-honk feature (just did this a few days ago - works like a charm!).

The perils of locking a fob in the cab seem to be disputed depending on who you ask... I still intend to do this while diving, kayaking, etc. but no longer need to keep one hidden in the truck full-time.
I used to keep both fobs in the truck on my 18 F-150 but on a trip to Arizona from New Hampshire the truck started acting up when starting and when stopping at tolls the truck would shut off. I put the fob in the fob well and everything was fine for the rest of the trip. Replaced both fob batteries and from then out I do not keep fobs in the truck for any length of time. But make sure you know where your fob well is. On my 18 it was under the cup holder mat