Locked Out of Recovery

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I would like to take you up on your offer if it still stands. My VIN is 1FTFW1ED1MFB59560.

It will be a good test of the "20-day rule" although it may take a while.
Ok, Ill send you a link here in a few.
Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
USB recognized and indexed. Off to the races.

Hopefully next post is reporting success.
Ok, could take a bit but it will happen.

OP
OP

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I tried the USB method that Jesse-Infotainment recommended. But I’m not a patient person, especially with electronics and waiting for paint to dry. The dealer installed a new APIM and now updates can be scheduled. Sync 4 software version is 21146, Revision 145. Hopefully OTA update 1.7.1 will get done and eventually Blue Cruise.

There seems to be two general concerns about the OTA process.

First, Ford requires Wi-Fi for some updates. The only time Wi-Fi is active is in my driveway with the truck running and the Mbps tend to be weak. Yet I have read that others have Wi-Fi connected all night. Does this mean they are letting their trucks run all night? Is there a way to have Wi-Fi active without the truck running?

Secondly, the battery needs to be at least 12.5 volts; otherwise, the data intensive updates are likely to fail. Should I invest in a battery charger/maintainer?

Other than using FDRS it seems that to assure a smooth OTA process, I should attach a battery minder following instructions at the beginning of the “ECU module programming guide using FDRS” after charging the battery to full strength, park in my driveway, and let my Powerboost “idle” when I receive notice of an update? To my inexperienced eyes, this may be the only way to get the 4 updates listed in the Wikipedia that requires the truck to be stopped.

I’m ok with getting a battery minder. Thinking out loud, could the battery minder be plugged into my Powerboost (7.2 kW) instead of the house. Just curious. Not something I need to do.

Any suggestions on how to assure successful OTA updates is sincerely appreciated.

I am thankful for all the help from this forum and would never have gotten this far without your help and advice.

Sponsored

Cmfrasher

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I would like to share the same problem regarding the APIM being locked by local Ford dealers in attempting to update software on 2021 F150’s.

I had my truck back to Ronnie Thompson Ford due to messages on the Ford App of failed updates.

The third time the tech locked the Apim on April 8, 2022. Ford‘ s decision was to order a new APIM. I just checked Ronnie Thompson service and the new Apim was not in. Again Ronnie Thompson has already issued two COPUS and was going to issue another today.

I ordered my Limited Powerboost on November 11, 2020, and took delivery on March 7, 2021. If Ford engineers are still following this forum my VIN: 1FTFW1ED6MFA85035. I love this truck and just want the OTA to work. My dealer has fixed several recalls satisfactory

The list of F150 owners with the same problem is really growing. At some point Ford has to take a more agressive approach in getting existing trucks fixed before owners start migrating to other brands. OTA updates is a great feature and I look forward to receiving updates without having to take it to a dealer.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I tried the USB method that Jesse-Infotainment recommended. But I’m not a patient person, especially with electronics and waiting for paint to dry. The dealer installed a new APIM and now updates can be scheduled. Sync 4 software version is 21146, Revision 145. Hopefully OTA update 1.7.1 will get done and eventually Blue Cruise.

There seems to be two general concerns about the OTA process.

First, Ford requires Wi-Fi for some updates. The only time Wi-Fi is active is in my driveway with the truck running and the Mbps tend to be weak. Yet I have read that others have Wi-Fi connected all night. Does this mean they are letting their trucks run all night? Is there a way to have Wi-Fi active without the truck running?

Secondly, the battery needs to be at least 12.5 volts; otherwise, the data intensive updates are likely to fail. Should I invest in a battery charger/maintainer?

Other than using FDRS it seems that to assure a smooth OTA process, I should attach a battery minder following instructions at the beginning of the “ECU module programming guide using FDRS” after charging the battery to full strength, park in my driveway, and let my Powerboost “idle” when I receive notice of an update? To my inexperienced eyes, this may be the only way to get the 4 updates listed in the Wikipedia that requires the truck to be stopped.

I’m ok with getting a battery minder. Thinking out loud, could the battery minder be plugged into my Powerboost (7.2 kW) instead of the house. Just curious. Not something I need to do.

Any suggestions on how to assure successful OTA updates is sincerely appreciated.

I am thankful for all the help from this forum and would never have gotten this far without your help and advice.
Im glad you are sorted. The issue with replacing the APIM or any part is if the PMI process isnt completed youll never get any update. The update process only completes for modules associated with the truck. I think its thinking too highly of the techs from what I have seen to assume the PMI was completed.

So I do really hope you are on your path forward. The reason I push to not replace modules unless absolutely needed is the issues that come along with.

OP
OP

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Received OTA update 2.1.0 today. Guess I owe a least one Ford tech an apology. Although it took months to get to this point, hopefully I'm on the road (pun intended) to Blue Cruise.

As I asked in my last post, any suggestion on actions I can take to proactively prevent future update failures?

Thanks

mj1angier

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Power Boost
Received OTA update 2.1.0 today. Guess I owe a least one Ford tech an apology. Although it took months to get to this point, hopefully I'm on the road (pun intended) to Blue Cruise.

As I asked in my last post, any suggestion on actions I can take to proactively prevent future update failures?

Thanks
I know that after I upgraded out internet (DSL to Starlink) updates started happening faster- don't know if it was the download speed or Ford got their act together...

But I did not need to put charger on truck, just set it to update a 1am, m-f.

OP
OP

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I know that after I upgraded out internet (DSL to Starlink) updates started happening faster- don't know if it was the download speed or Ford got their act together...

But I did not need to put charger on truck, just set it to update a 1am, m-f.
OTA 2.6.0 just failed. I turned off auto updates. Don’t want another 1.7.1 fiasco. Can anyone tell if this is just a low battery issue or something more insidious?

If just a low battery would charging the battery to 100% be enough so I can let the OTA run when Ford tries the update again.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Sponsored

tbone-CO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Scab XLT Leadfoot
Occupation
button pusher
I've never gotten an update on my job 1 2021. I've tried multiple dealers to get 22B08 done and none have even tried. Claim they don't have the right cable. Tried one a month and a half later since they said they had the cable on order the first time. Now they say they need the truck for a week because they have to pull the entire dash off to accomplish it. I declined to make that appt.

@Jesse-Infotainment if you think it might help me I'd be very thankful for the USB data for my truck 1FTFX1E80MKD99822 to try.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I've never gotten an update on my job 1 2021. I've tried multiple dealers to get 22B08 done and none have even tried. Claim they don't have the right cable. Tried one a month and a half later since they said they had the cable on order the first time. Now they say they need the truck for a week because they have to pull the entire dash off to accomplish it. I declined to make that appt.

@Jesse-Infotainment if you think it might help me I'd be very thankful for the USB data for my truck 1FTFX1E80MKD99822 to try.

Yes I can.. I will get the files ready. So you are aware this update can take up to a month to kick off for some reason. Just drive and leave the usb in and eventually it will kick off.

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I am also waiting on a new APIM. Landmark Ford in Tigard, Oregon has worked on this OTA issue for several months now. It's been to the dealer 7 or 8 separate times to fix this issue. Mine is also a Job 1 truck. Manufactured in December 2020. The new APIM is on back order.

Boneguy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021
Wow... I'm new to this experience but my story sounds similar.
The dealership had the truck for 8-9 days for update. Came back without Blue Cruise working, but now Sirius XM was gone and GPS stopped working (not sure if other features were down). Took it back, and now 3 1/2 weeks later, they tell me the APIM has failed and they need to order a new one.

Any options at this point?
Does this make sense with a "locked APIM" ? or a bigger failure?
Would a possible USB update be a longshot here?

I have no idea what to think now.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
OTA 2.6.0 just failed. I turned off auto updates. Don’t want another 1.7.1 fiasco. Can anyone tell if this is just a low battery issue or something more insidious?

If just a low battery would charging the battery to 100% be enough so I can let the OTA run when Ford tries the update again.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Just as a data point, 2.6.0 has failed 4 times on my truck per the Android Widget by @kennelh on the other forum.. January 2021 build, 5.0 302A. Trying to decide whether to go to dealer. This thread is very helpful, thanks all.
Sponsored

Last edited: