Liner and tonneau cover

Paul FP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Need your wisdom. Our ‘23 Lariat, recently bought from a dealer as a demo with 5k miles, came with a drop-in liner. We bought it primarily to tow a Lance trailer. It’s unlikely we’ll be frequently be throwing sharp, heavy items in the back. I’ve read the criticisms that drop-ins can trap moisture. We live in the Northeast. Choices: 1) Leave as is. 2) Add soft or hard tonneau cover to add protection from the elements. 3) Add Line-X spray-in. 4) Add spray-in and cover. Thanks!
Sponsored

Jean Deaux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 5.0
Option 1.
Your bed is aluminum. I don't think moister can cause any damage to it if trapped.

Sponsored

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
I also bought a dealer demo. It had a spray in liner and soft roll up cover. I have always preferred the hard roll up covers (that is what I have on my 18 Sierra). I assumed I would be swapping it out at some point but I have been happy enough and it has kept the water out so it will be staying.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I would go with number 4. Spray in liner - drop ins rub the paint off in spots (yes I know it's aluminum) but if ever removed, looks ugly. Also found stuff slides easier on the drop ins. Tonneau cover to hide and keep things dry and locked away.

tbeneteau

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
I have had 2 plastic drop ins. No issues, I never remove them so don't really care about the scratching. Yes they are more slippery, but sometimes that's good for dragging stuff out of the bed. The spray in liners are a little more abrasive, and admittedly do look a little more polished. As for the tonneau, I prefer the Truxedo soft roll up. They are the least expensive and most versatile in my opinion, and they seal out water really well. I thought the velcro would wear out over time, but it was good for the 7 years I had it, and I just bought the exact same cover for my '21 Limited. Had a soft tri-fold on the work truck, and the fabric cracked at the folds after a few years and didn't sit tight to the rails when secured allowing some moisture in.

DEEPDOWN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402A Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Need your wisdom. Our ‘23 Lariat, recently bought from a dealer as a demo with 5k miles, came with a drop-in liner. We bought it primarily to tow a Lance trailer. It’s unlikely we’ll be frequently be throwing sharp, heavy items in the back. I’ve read the criticisms that drop-ins can trap moisture. We live in the Northeast. Choices: 1) Leave as is. 2) Add soft or hard tonneau cover to add protection from the elements. 3) Add Line-X spray-in. 4) Add spray-in and cover. Thanks!
My issue with the drop in liners are noise & looks old school. I throw a lot of scuba tanks in mine so I had the line spray in liner. The factory is good, but it was a an ordering delay so I had the dealership do it Line-X. On top of that, I added the rubber mat. So for anyone concerned about denting their aluminum box, I feel this gives the best balance.

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
But I would add trifold tonneau cover as well, just for convenience. It's rainproof.
This type of tonneau cover is not rainproof and from my own experience, will leak. I switched to a one-piece clamshell type cover which comes closest to being “rainproof.”

Sponsored

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I think the only option I would not go with is a drop in liner alone or in any combination.

Jean Deaux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 5.0
This type of tonneau cover is not rainproof and from my own experience, will leak.
Mine is Ford OEM tri-fold. I use it for 2.5 years and never had water leak issues.

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
I have a drop-in, rubber mat and Gator tri-fold cover on my 2022. I have the Line-X on my 2014 with rubber mat and Gator tri-fold cover. Both systems work as intended. I don't see one being better than the other. JMO.

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
Mine is Ford OEM tri-fold. I use it for 2.5 years and never had water leak issues.
Consider yourself lucky. My experience with the Bakflip MX4 and ReTraxPro suggests otherwise.

I believe the Ford cover is manufactured by BakFlip. The MX4 started to leak at the panel hinges and then at points along the side gaskets that started to pucker up, all within several months of ownership.

The ReTraxPro is a retractable cover which leaked through the side rails. I spoke with ReTrax customer service, who confirmed that the cover isn’t designed to be waterproof. There is nothing that stops water from making its way over the cover’s side edge into the track and leaking into the bed.

I’ve had zero water leak issues with the Undercover one-piece.

Last edited:

Jean Deaux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 5.0
Consider yourself lucky. My experience with the Bakflip MX4 and ReTraxPro suggests otherwise.
I am not 100% sure but heard that Ford OEM cover is actually a rebadged Bakflip MX4. .
Sponsored