First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 701a F150 | 20 Escape hybrid | 13 Escape
Occupation
Dude Named Ben
So this has happened to me a couple times and I thought I must have bumped something while grabbing something from my truck.

Today, I reached in the truck to hit the garage opener(homelink button) and close the truck door and go on with my business.
Anywhere from an hour to a half hour I look outside and see the truck lights are on. I open the truck door and the truck is dinging as they would if you manually set the lights and turned off the truck. I watched the footage of the outdoor camera and no one walked up to truck when the lights turned on. I have all the welcome crap turned off and the keys were in the house.

Anyone else experiencing their lights turning on randomly while parked?
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I have seen the phantom headlights once before. It's been mentioned somewhere and supposedly they waited for an entirely new headlight button assembly that did.... absolutely nothing to solve their problem.

If it occurs just turn the lights off via the switch. My guess is it's software related like a lot of issues of this nature is, and ford's software team by both observation and their own admissions is lacking on multiple fronts. The new lightning in 25 or 26 will be the start of a paradigm shift where they begin to in-house most of their electronics vs relying on vendors. At the current pace of things, that's either going to be more of the same or much worse. They really need better management in place though.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Yes, there is a tsb regarding this problem. There is,a logic error in one of the chips in the headlight switch. Updates and software will not correct the issue. Ford has said an updated replacement switch will be available to correct the issue in January of 2023. But at this point I'm not sure if it's available at dealers yet. I'm waiting for this as well. And the error will throw a dtc in the body control module. You can check with an enhanced scan tool. Do not clear it. This will get you a new switch under warranty.

Ford F-150 Lights Turning on While Parked NOT Running Screenshot_20230211_124236

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here ya go.
😊 😃

SSM 51244 2021-2022 F-150 - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533 Some 2021-2022 F-150 vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533 stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. Switch and/or module replacement will not resolve this condition. Headlamp operation is not affected while the vehicle is ON. A new headlamp switch is currently under development to correct this condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment in January 2023, when parts are expected to become available. Follow up with the customer to confirm the appointment once OASIS is updated with the repair information.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Beercity

Beercity

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 701a F150 | 20 Escape hybrid | 13 Escape
Occupation
Dude Named Ben
Thanks! I have seen that dtc with my OBDlink mx+ in the past.
I even had my truck in mentioning multiple dtcs that they didn't even clear when doing an oil change... not using that dealer anymore. I am due for an oil change in the next 1000 miles(so pretty soon) I will use my selling dealer rather than the crappy local dealer.
Thanks again this forum is the best!

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks! I have seen that dtc with my OBDlink mx+ in the past.
I even had my truck in mentioning multiple dtcs that they didn't even clear when doing an oil change... not using that dealer anymore. I am due for an oil change in the next 1000 miles(so pretty soon) I will use my selling dealer rather than the crappy local dealer.
Thanks again this forum is the best!
If you're dealer does install the updated switch in your truck, please post the part number from your service invoice.

Thanks
Sponsored