Sponsored

Is the heated steering wheel removal a free dealer retrofit?

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
Looking at ordering a 23 raptor to replace my 21 Lariat. I see they all have the heated steering wheel removal on the window stickers. I’ve researched many posts that talk about people adding that feature back in themselves. My question is will ford just add in the missing chip later for free? This is what Chevy does with their “heated steering wheel retrofit” where the vehicle has all the parts just no chip then the dealers add it in for free when the chip becomes available. With ford and their heated steering wheel removal is that not the same? If so, I’d rather keep my lariat
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
It’s not only a chip it’s an SCCM, programming, HVAC module, wiring, and the physical wheel

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Wait and see if they stop deleting things on the 2024 or 2025 models. Or pay plenty of money on your own to add features that you want.

I bought a used 2021 Lariat this year because it has everything 22-23 does not.

Sponsored

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
you can ADD the wheel (some have even added the raptor heated wheel w/ paddle shifters)....the wiring is there and it can be turned on pretty easily.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
I've got an XLT 302A and just picked up a heated wheel from another forum member. I've been looking for info on how to set up a 'soft button' with Forscan but am not figuring out which modules I need to change. I also can't see which screen it would end up living?? I'm not really wanting to buy an HVAC dash module just for the switch so if anyone has links or knowledge, I'd love the help.
FYI - I'm just fine with Forscan, just not sure which changes I need to do.

TurboF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SCREW
I bought my new 502a Lariat on 11-14-23 and it is missing the heated steering wheel. I am looking for any info on how to add it, I think it has the heated steering wheel already as it is the larger padded wheel and different than the one in my previous 501a?

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I bought my new 502a Lariat on 11-14-23 and it is missing the heated steering wheel. I am looking for any info on how to add it, I think it has the heated steering wheel already as it is the larger padded wheel and different than the one in my previous 501a?
The easiest way to tell is pull the horn/airbag off and check if there's a wire with a four pin connector going to the SCCM (clock spring). I've usually seen the connector be dark orange.
Ford F-150 Is the heated steering wheel removal a free dealer retrofit? HSW wire

The Clock Spring (SCCM) will need to have connector pins in the lower Plug. You can see in this picture of my stock XLT, it had no pins. So I had to get a clock spring for the HSW.
Ford F-150 Is the heated steering wheel removal a free dealer retrofit? SCCM non-heated

This is a clock spring with the pins installed. Needed for HSW.
Ford F-150 Is the heated steering wheel removal a free dealer retrofit? SCCM HSW Pins.JPG

My guess is, if you received a "credit" for the HSW you may find the clock spring and the wire going to BCM pin 15 already installed. That seems to be what most 'deleted' HSW owners found. But I doubt you have the HSW. It only takes a couple minutes to pop the horn cover off and have a look. There are several videos on how to do it on YouTube.
Here's a good one:

Sponsored

TurboF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SCREW
The easiest way to tell is pull the horn/airbag off and check if there's a wire with a four pin connector going to the SCCM (clock spring). I've usually seen the connector be dark orange.
HSW wire.jpg

The Clock Spring (SCCM) will need to have connector pins in the lower Plug. You can see in this picture of my stock XLT, it had no pins. So I had to get a clock spring for the HSW.
SCCM non-heated.jpg

This is a clock spring with the pins installed. Needed for HSW.
SCCM HSW Pins.JPG

My guess is, if you received a "credit" for the HSW you may find the clock spring and the wire going to BCM pin 15 already installed. That seems to be what most 'deleted' HSW owners found. But I doubt you have the HSW. It only takes a couple minutes to pop the horn cover off and have a look. There are several videos on how to do it on YouTube.
Here's a good one:
Thank you for that very well put together response. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I did find that video last night and I am going to pull it apart to see if I at least have the correct wheel and what parts I will need. That is good news about having to run that wire to BCM 15 hopefully it is already pinned. Right now I have only have 194 miles on the truck and making my mod list.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thank you for that very well put together response. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I did find that video last night and I am going to pull it apart to see if I at least have the correct wheel and what parts I will need. That is good news about having to run that wire to BCM 15 hopefully it is already pinned. Right now I have only have 194 miles on the truck and making my mod list.
The wire run is about as simple as it gets. Get a pre-assembled one. Plug in to the back of the clock spring, connect the ground terminal to any solid piece of metal under the dash, and fish the single wire back behind the center entertainment stack across and beneath the glove box to the BCM on the passenger's foot well. You should find Pin 15 open. Just shove the prepinned wire in and that's it.

wang_dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum; 2020 Lincoln Navigator Reserve
Wait and see if they stop deleting things on the 2024 or 2025 models. Or pay plenty of money on your own to add features that you want.

I bought a used 2021 Lariat this year because it has everything 22-23 does not.
Pretty much this. I just picked up a ‘21 Platinum coyote because it still maintained all the deleted features from the 22-23MY (heated steering wheel, massage seats, CHMSL camera, etc).
Sponsored