Sponsored

Is it safe and prudent to drive 1400 miles with a new truck.

Tnker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 f-150
I bought my truck in Texas and immediately drove it to Kansas then Philly. You’ll be fine
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
This will actually be good for the break in. The fewer starts/stops the better to get the engine setup for the long haul of 100,000 miles. In my case when I took delivery it had just 6.7 miles on it and the drive home was a couple hundred miles. That gave engine some real good runtime to let stuff get seated.

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired
The key would be to vary your speed during break-in. Constant highway speed is not the ideal way to break in a new vehicle. Try a blue line route to Florida, US1 rather than I95.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The key would be to vary your speed during break-in. Constant highway speed is not the ideal way to break in a new vehicle. Try a blue line route to Florida, US1 rather than I95.
Agreed. Speed varying ensures no top end ridging in the cylinder. In my case above the roads were state hiway 2 lane roads and the varying of speed was natural. Good point.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
My vote: plan your first pee break so that it's at a dealer to get the oil changed and you've got an optimal plan to break in your truck. My only other advice is to make it a fun road trip, not just a slog. Travel is often confined to a radius around major airports/cities, and road trips allow you to break that habit. You may be surprised at how long it is before you do this again, so my advice is add a few days and enjoy them. Finally, the cheat code for long drives: LKA/ACC, audiobooks and podcasts.

Have fun and post pics!

Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Ranger; 24 F-150 XL 4x4 RCSB ordered
Occupation
Retired USAF
Another way to vary your speed is taking easy off/on ramps. I have a 2 hr drive back home from Granger but I'll be hitting every or every-other exit where I can just exit and drive straight across to get back on the interstate. And switching gears while driving to vary engine RPM's.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
I ordered my new 2024 XLT in Nov. in NY. I winter in Florida and expect my new truck to be delivered sometime in March. Would it be safe to fly home and pick it up and drive it back to Florida the day after delivery? I do know that many guys buy from Grainger and drive new trucks to their home destination. Just curious as to any cautions regarding this. Thanks
I'm in the Roc also

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Another way to vary your speed is taking easy off/on ramps. I have a 2 hr drive back home from Granger but I'll be hitting every or every-other exit where I can just exit and drive straight across to get back on the interstate. And switching gears while driving to vary engine RPM's.
Good idea! (y)

Sponsored

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CC Platinum FX4 5.0 4X4 3.73 LB
Get the rear off the ground. Start it. Let it get up to temp. Put it into gear. Hammer down several times with short bursts of wide open throttle. Let it idle down. Shut it off until it cools completely. Repeat two additional times.

Err... Better yet, save this procedure for the two strokes. Braap! :)

Aim64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited Ordered 2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Scrap Metal Industry
I ordered my new 2024 XLT in Nov. in NY. I winter in Florida and expect my new truck to be delivered sometime in March. Would it be safe to fly home and pick it up and drive it back to Florida the day after delivery? I do know that many guys buy from Grainger and drive new trucks to their home destination. Just curious as to any cautions regarding this. Thanks
I got my 2021 Platty in August 2021 and took it in a 1000 Mike trip. I took it easy for the first 250 miles. My truck is still running extremely well.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
You can download the manual for the truck at any time. The Ford recommendation is to not drive at high speed or use cruise control for the first 500 miles. It also cautions against hard braking during that period to give the pads time to seat properly.

OP
OP

obiwankabaldi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for all the great replies and advice. As it turns out I will probably fly home and stay for a week or so and then fly back to Florida. From what I have read here and other places I could have driven it to Florida with some reservations. Speed, hard braking and long run time between stops.
Sponsored