New Member: 2015 truck totalled, looking to order new truck, frustrated

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
Hey new member here. My 2015 F150 SCREW 5.0 XLT with 6.5' bed was totalled Wednesday when a Semi Truck plowed into me. Truck saved my life, died valiantly.

I'm looking to replace it with a virtually identical truck, but am frustrated with the ordering process and build website. I went through pains in 2015 trying to find a truck with a 6.5' bed, which is an absolute requirement for me, I had to wait till July until one showed up on lots and I made some compromises to just get into one because my 2005 was on it's last legs...

Long story short, i'm looking to build an Atlas Blew XLT Super CREW with a few specific options.
5.0 engine
6.5' bed
4x4
3.73 locker
XLT Chrome Package
Power Sliding Window
Extended Range Fuel Tank
400W outlet
LED Box Lighting (makes you add "bed utility package", why have this as a separate item if you have to add it as a package?)
Running Boards:
Here's were it's getting frustrating. I want to add the 6" extended polished chrome running board or the 6" extended dark grey running board, and it's not letting me, without changing the color from Atlas Blue to Agate Black... WHY? I want the wider running board. Period. I've seen both types on the lots and I want the wider ones. There seems to be no rhyme or reason about what type of running board is on the truck, and it does not show up on the window sticker. This is one example of a reason why the truck's paint should not influence this option...

40/20/40 seat (not console)
40/20/40 cup tray (I took the one out of my 2015 before they took it, is this the same part? Will it work? It's a $60 option I won't get if I don't have to...
Floor Liners - There are 2 options here, one says "less carpeted matching floor mats", what is the difference here?
Interior Work Surface

After all this I was close to the price of a base Lariat, so I tried to build a Lariat 501A and it wouldn't let me choose Atlas Blue with the Chrome package... and several other oddities.

Long story short, will I have better luck having the dealer input all these options or will they run into the same thing.

Also, holy cow, $20,000-$25,000 more for an almost identically configured truck 8 years later. My 2015 was a 300A, this one is a 302A, but powertrain is identical.
Sponsored

cpw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Supercrew 157" V8
There are a lot of "you can't have this if you get that" kind of things. The trucks are built in different plants that don't have all the paint colors/options. If you get a Lariat, I think you lose the 40/20/40 front bench seat option and have to go with buckets. As far as I could tell, they also don't have a payload package on anything but an XL this year (last year you could get it on an XLT).

I special ordered my truck because I wanted to replace my 2014, and 6.5' beds don't seem to be stocked around here anywhere just the short beds.

OP
OP

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
Yeah, I did my research and knew you couldn't get the 40/20/40 without console in a Lariat.

But for the life of me, I cannot fathom how something as simple as a wider running board would be dependent on what color the vehicle is painted. The 6" running boards are what I want and if it comes down to it, i'm gonna make them swap with another truck on the lot.

empty wallet

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford edge titanium awd, 2010 f-150 4x4,
Occupation
retired aircraft mech.
order running boards from the parts dept. Use your 42000 pass points you get buying new truck towards the purchase :unsure:

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Yeah, I did my research and knew you couldn't get the 40/20/40 without console in a Lariat.

But for the life of me, I cannot fathom how something as simple as a wider running board would be dependent on what color the vehicle is painted. The 6" running boards are what I want and if it comes down to it, I'm gonna make them swap with another truck on the lot.
You can't now. You could a couple years ago. That was one of my requirements when I ordered my Lariat. So now technically I have a limited run, lol. I would be going with a XLT if I had to order today.

Sponsored

F150 hopefull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hey new member here. My 2015 F150 SCREW 5.0 XLT with 6.5' bed was totalled Wednesday when a Semi Truck plowed into me. Truck saved my life, died valiantly.

I'm looking to replace it with a virtually identical truck, but am frustrated with the ordering process and build website. I went through pains in 2015 trying to find a truck with a 6.5' bed, which is an absolute requirement for me, I had to wait till July until one showed up on lots and I made some compromises to just get into one because my 2005 was on it's last legs...

Long story short, i'm looking to build an Atlas Blew XLT Super CREW with a few specific options.
5.0 engine
6.5' bed
4x4
3.73 locker
XLT Chrome Package
Power Sliding Window
Extended Range Fuel Tank
400W outlet
LED Box Lighting (makes you add "bed utility package", why have this as a separate item if you have to add it as a package?)
Running Boards:
Here's were it's getting frustrating. I want to add the 6" extended polished chrome running board or the 6" extended dark grey running board, and it's not letting me, without changing the color from Atlas Blue to Agate Black... WHY? I want the wider running board. Period. I've seen both types on the lots and I want the wider ones. There seems to be no rhyme or reason about what type of running board is on the truck, and it does not show up on the window sticker. This is one example of a reason why the truck's paint should not influence this option...

40/20/40 seat (not console)
40/20/40 cup tray (I took the one out of my 2015 before they took it, is this the same part? Will it work? It's a $60 option I won't get if I don't have to...
Floor Liners - There are 2 options here, one says "less carpeted matching floor mats", what is the difference here?
Interior Work Surface

After all this I was close to the price of a base Lariat, so I tried to build a Lariat 501A and it wouldn't let me choose Atlas Blue with the Chrome package... and several other oddities.

Long story short, will I have better luck having the dealer input all these options or will they run into the same thing.

Also, holy cow, $20,000-$25,000 more for an almost identically configured truck 8 years later. My 2015 was a 300A, this one is a 302A, but powertrain is identical.
You should reach out to Granger for a price check on your build. They charge Invoice -3%. I used them and Saved a little over 10k by the end of the process.
I am sure you will see littered throughout this board others with the same experience.

Good luck on your build.

Also I got the MY23 Fully loaded lariat, with the sunroof, and my Payload is 1530. With the short bed.

OP
OP

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
You should reach out to Granger for a price check on your build. They charge Invoice -3%. I used them and Saved a little over 10k by the end of the process.
I am sure you will see littered throughout this board others with the same experience.

Good luck on your build.

Also I got the MY23 Fully loaded lariat, with the sunroof, and my Payload is 1530. With the short bed.
Well, I just might do that, even though it will be incredibly inconvenient for me, when delivery actually happens. I guess if I can save several grand, it will be worth it.

Something else I just considered, is, if, by going through Grainger, I could end up with a Lariat for the same price as an optioned out XLT 302A locally that might be worth it too...

F150 hopefull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Well, I just might do that, even though it will be incredibly inconvenient for me, when delivery actually happens. I guess if I can save several grand, it will be worth it.

Something else I just considered, is, if, by going through Grainger, I could end up with a Lariat for the same price as an optioned out XLT 302A locally that might be worth it too...
Yep. The only thing to consider with going through Granger is the Sales tax of your state, if you have one.

My process was easy as pie. Oregon has no sales tax. So I just showed up to DMV, paid some other taxes, and got my license plate same day.

You could arrange for a private company to transport it from Granger to your location as well. I personally had a hard time with that option as I would be paying for a truck sight unseen.

Just something else to ponder though.

Good luck. My experience with Granger was ROCK solid.

OP
OP

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
I really don't know what the tax situation would be like. I need to look into that. We do have a state sales tax. I will be transferring the tag from the wrecked vehicle, so I wouldn't pay an impact fee, just "taxes and title".

OP
OP

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
So here's a dumb question. Can you still order a 2022? Reason I ask is 2022 still has the 500A package and you can get a Lariat with the 40/20/40 without console. And it's cheaper. I can build a 500A 2022 cheaper than I can a 302A 2023 and get cooled seats.

Sponsored

F150 hopefull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So here's a dumb question. Can you still order a 2022? Reason I ask is 2022 still has the 500A package and you can get a Lariat with the 40/20/40 without console. And it's cheaper. I can build a 500A 2022 cheaper than I can a 302A 2023 and get cooled seats.
Nope. The 2022 orders were closed as of 5/15 ish last year. My 2022 order was canceled on 9/30 as I never received a VIN. Had to re-order a 2023.

As for the cost, Try building the Lariat you want and send the build sheet to Granger Ford. The MSRP on my 2023 Lariat fully loaded was about 79k. They gave me a a price of 70k which is invoice -3%. By the time I picked up my truck on 2/23 I walked out of the doors at 66k. But that is with a 4k model year conversion discount or some such.

Long story short, Send Granger your build and ask for a price. You will be surprised how much you can save.

Granger is in Iowa so you have to fly and drive it home. Or rent a car or some such.

Good luck

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
There are still a few left over 22’s on dealer lots. I live in Louisville, KY and ordered from a dealer in Richmond, VA. They delivered it to me for a small charge. I think more and more dealers deliver now. They drove it, but I didn’t care that they put 500 miles on it. That seems to be when most issues occur in a PB anyways and I’d rather it happen to them than me.

My point is I wouldn’t limit my search if I were you, you may be able to get it delivered, and I even bought it with X plan

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Sorry to hear about your truck.

You can tell Ford that their prices are ridiculous and order a stripped XL and add as many options as you can yourself later; or wait until 2024 to see if better choices return.

2023 is the worst year yet for picking out the options that you want.

Good luck with your search!

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
I would add that you should go to the dealer to check what configurations you can get.

Online Build and Price is super buggy and overparticular.

The cup tray is the same part as I had in my 2021 lariat with bench.