• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Invited After Transferring to ZEV State Dealer

maverick92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lightning, Model Y, Maverick
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure if this has been discussed to death, but I wanted to share my order experience in case it's helpful to other folks.

I made a reservation later than most (early morning after the unveiling) and I surprisingly just got invited in Wave 3. I originally selected a NJ dealer, but once I found out they charged ADMs on Bronco orders I switched to a closer dealer in PA in the fall. My PA dealer stated they weren't prioritizing any orders so I stayed with them until they learned they were only allocated 5 lightnings despite having over 200 reservations solely because PA is not a ZEV state. In early January I moved my reservation back to a NJ dealer, but to one without an ADM. Low and behold I got a coveted Wave 3 invite last week.

Like most folks on here I planned to order the Pro model, but I ended up ordering a Lariat ER as I didn't have much confidence in getting a Pro in 2023 either and the XLT pricing is garbage. Worst-case if I drive it and it doesn't fit my needs I'll trade it in or sell it as NJ doesn't charge sales tax on EVs.
Sponsored

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I'm not sure if this has been discussed to death, but I wanted to share my order experience in case it's helpful to other folks.

I made a reservation later than most (early morning after the unveiling) and I surprisingly just got invited in Wave 3. I originally selected a NJ dealer, but once I found out they charged ADMs on Bronco orders I switched to a closer dealer in PA in the fall. My PA dealer stated they weren't prioritizing any orders so I stayed with them until they learned they were only allocated 5 lightnings despite having over 200 reservations solely because PA is not a ZEV state. In early January I moved my reservation back to a NJ dealer, but to one without an ADM. Low and behold I got a coveted Wave 3 invite last week.

Like most folks on here I planned to order the Pro model, but I ended up ordering a Lariat ER as I didn't have much confidence in getting a Pro in 2023 either and the XLT pricing is garbage. Worst-case if I drive it and it doesn't fit my needs I'll trade it in or sell it as NJ doesn't charge sales tax on EVs.
where did you move to? my nj dealer haa been non responsive

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Tried that locally here. Transferring from dealer who had my first day reservation as 35 out of 25 he had allocated. The other dealer said they'd get back to me but nothing yet.

The Ford reservation system has to be considered a failure in the sense it really made no difference when you reserved, only which dealer you reserved with.

Ford should have prioritized by reservation date and if a customer picked a dealer, that dealer got that allocation for that customer.

While not completely disconnected, that a first day reservation means you are two years out and well after others who reserved months later, does render it meaningless.

Disappointing.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
No offense to those who are trying to elevate their status in line by trying to jump to another dealer, but I have developed a relationship with my dealer over the last 20 years.
If some one and done time stamp shopper cut in line at my dealer, I would be irritated.

Seems like Ford gave the dealers a way to protect their customer base by giving them the ability to prioritize the first few orders to have the ability to prevent time stamp jumping. I would hope Ford gave the dealers the ability to prioritize to protect loyal customers.

With that said, there were a lot of , what I view as, unscrupulous dealers who try to take advantage of people by charging ADM for a priority order, or dealer owners/ employees who prioritized their own order. (That YouTube dealer comes to mind)

I am happy with way things turned out, not because I got to order, but the fact that my dealer did not play games.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No offense to those who are trying to elevate their status in line by trying to jump to another dealer, but I have developed a relationship with my dealer over the last 20 years.
If some one and done time stamp shopper cut in line at my dealer, I would be irritated.

Seems like Ford gave the dealers a way to protect their customer base by giving them the ability to prioritize the first few orders to have the ability to prevent time stamp jumping. I would hope Ford gave the dealers the ability to prioritize to protect loyal customers.

With that said, there were a lot of , what I view as, unscrupulous dealers who try to take advantage of people by charging ADM for a priority order, or dealer owners/ employees who prioritized their own order. (That YouTube dealer comes to mind)

I am happy with way things turned out, not because I got to order, but the fact that my dealer did not play games.
Ford really missed the boat for bringing in new customers that have not owned Fords before by the various adaptations made in the process for being able to place an order after the initial opening of the reservation system. Add to this the dealerships that also took advantage of the priority adjustments for their employees or a buyer willing to pay a steep premium on a vehicle that is already selling at a substantial premium over an equally optioned ICE vehicle.

I also have been fortunate in that the dealer that I chose by luck of the draw with them being the closest to my home is not playing any of the games many have been reporting on the forum. They have been helpful, responsive and open in the entire process. Real glad I have not had the issues a few have encountered within the forum.

Sponsored

me!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
lightning

Well, I am in New York and 5th in line at my dealer who only prioritized one. I reserved early am on 5/20 and have not been invited to order. Explain that!

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier

All valid points, but if Ford had done the right thing from the get go and invited to order and allocated vehicles very simply by time stamp, nobody would be trying to cut in line now. The amount of bad will they’re building here will likely deter enough potential new customers to more than negate their short term $ gains from playing ZEV state games, prioritization games, and trim level allocation games. To each their own, I’m sure they’ll look back at this as a learning experience in the future.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
All valid points, but if Ford had done the right thing from the get go and invited to order and allocated vehicles very simply by time stamp, nobody would be trying to cut in line now. The amount of bad will they’re building here will likely deter enough potential new customers to more than negate their short term $ gains from playing ZEV state games, prioritization games, and trim level allocation games. To each their own, I’m sure they’ll look back at this as a learning experience in the future.
99% of customers have no clue this is even happening. I doubt that any significant number of customers cancelling their reservation purely based on that they have not yet gotten an invite to order. In fact Ford has plenty of potential customers to fulfill over a full calendar year of production. Possibly even two. So they probably aren't concerned that much of the conversion rate drops a few percent. And once these things are out in the world, boy is the demand going to spike. Once Bob sees that his neighbor's Lightning is faster, has a giant front trunk, power outlets everywhere, and is packed with technology, Bob is going to want one. Especially when he realizes that his $250 a month fuel bill is going to disappear. Ford is going to be able to sell as many of these trucks as they can build for many years to come.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Same PA dealer who I wish I could have done business with.

Did the same thing with Maryland. 5/20 reservation ~ 3rd wave invite.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Seems like Ford gave the dealers a way to protect their customer base by giving them the ability to prioritize the first few orders to have the ability to prevent time stamp jumping.
They allowed "time stamp jumping" by ongoing customers but supposed to be only five per dealer. But that was not mentioned when making the reservation nor the fact that if you picked the wrong dealer, you'll never see the vehicle.

It appears that the allocation is based on which dealers got allocation.

Why bother with a reservation if it is meaningless. I'm in first 20,000 but now I'm really No. 178,000.

At this point, I'll likely get something else this year and just flip the F150 when I get it in '23-'24

Tesla at least kept the line straight.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
99% of customers have no clue this is even happening. I doubt that any significant number of customers cancelling their reservation purely based on that they have not yet gotten an invite to order. In fact Ford has plenty of potential customers to fulfill over a full calendar year of production. Possibly even two. So they probably aren't concerned that much of the conversion rate drops a few percent. And once these things are out in the world, boy is the demand going to spike. Once Bob sees that his neighbor's Lightning is faster, has a giant front trunk, power outlets everywhere, and is packed with technology, Bob is going to want one. Especially when he realizes that his $250 a month fuel bill is going to disappear. Ford is going to be able to sell as many of these trucks as they can build for many years to come.
Bad news travels fast though. Farley’s musings re ADM were widely reported, and even though he, correctly, called out the dealers, those same 99% of customers now think “Ford=upcharge”. Probably not a good time for more bad publicity. However, Ford’s definitely learning new lessons here, and that is always a good thing.

OP
OP

maverick92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lightning, Model Y, Maverick
Occupation
Engineer
They allowed "time stamp jumping" by ongoing customers but supposed to be only five per dealer. But that was not mentioned when making the reservation nor the fact that if you picked the wrong dealer, you'll never see the vehicle.

It appears that the allocation is based on which dealers got allocation.

Why bother with a reservation if it is meaningless. I'm in first 20,000 but now I'm really No. 178,000.

At this point, I'll likely get something else this year and just flip the F150 when I get it in '23-'24

Tesla at least kept the line straight.
I completely agree with you. What’s the point of selecting a dealer during the reservation process when there is so much variation in pricing? Time stamps should have been the only thing that matters and the buyer should have been able to shop that reservation around to whichever dealer offers the best price and/or is conveniently located. Dealerships only exist now because they lobby politicians for protection.

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
To be fair, who are they really "bad-willing" here?

It's a bunch of people who reserved the truck on day 1. That group of reservation holders is going to be a "mixed bag". There are lifelong ford people who want the latest & greatest. There are people that have never bought a Ford before and this could be a great "entry point" for them; and there's a bunch of people who saw the demand with the Bronco, and other new-release vehicle, and look at it as only a flip-opportunity.

The only way to avoid "bad-willing" would be to have produced ~100,000 of these trucks in secret -- announce the truck and the next week they're availalbe on the lot for sale. Then again, Ford could save themselves a ton "bad-will" if they could just produce any vehicle at this pace.

I'm not saying that the approach they took was right; in giving dealers seemingly full control over who got first year vehicles if they chose to exercise it. However, one of the reasons Ford typically sells around 2.5m cars per year in the US, and Tesla about 1/4 of that worldwide, is because of the strength of their dealer network.

The guy who has a 20-year relationship with a dealer, who currently drives an f150, gt500 on the weekends, wife an explorer, and kid an ecosport shouldn't be "put in line" because he had something better to do on the day of the announcement.

Reactions: TTT

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
Customers.
Nobody that's successfully ordered a vehicle is PO'ed... other than I guess the people who wanted the pro-model.

Yes, there are potential customers that are likely PO'ed, but short of doing the theoretical impossible, they were bound to piss off somebody.
Sponsored