Sponsored

Improving the Off-Road Experience In My 2021 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5L Hybrid Powerboost)

MaximusW

First Name
Maximus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 3.5L Hybrid Powerboost
Occupation
Creative Director
I love seeing the adventures that F-150 owners are having in their trucks! I live in So. Utah and so I'm blessed to have a tremendous amount of off-road trails and public lands to explore.
I understand that my 2021 Ford F-150 Platinum is far from the ideal build for off-roading, but I'm hoping to get feedback on a mod that was suggested to me to make my truck more comfortable/capable on "easy" to some "moderate" rated trails.
I'm nearing the end of life for my OEM tires (I drive a lot of miles) and would replace them with a set of BFG KO2's or Nitto Ridge Grappler (or the like). I also plan on purchase a portable air compressor that would allow me to air down/up my tires.

Would appreciate hearing thoughts on investing in the Falcon 2.25" Shock Leveling System. Also, if there are other mods that would improve the off-road experience that I haven't mentioned. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You definitely are addressing the two lowest hanging pieces of fruit.

Ditch the oem dampers. Heck, they are underdamped for the street!

And some shoes worthy of the off road surface materials.

That front air dam on that sweet Platinum is at risk of getting busted if you get into anything slightly gnarly. And I would disable the footboards so that they STAY up out of the way. At least as much as they are capable.

Sounds like fun actually. You only live once. :)

OP
OP
MaximusW

MaximusW

First Name
Maximus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 3.5L Hybrid Powerboost
Occupation
Creative Director
You definitely are addressing the two lowest hanging pieces of fruit.

Ditch the oem dampers. Heck, they are underdamped for the street!

And some shoes worthy of the off road surface materials.

That front air dam on that sweet Platinum is at risk of getting busted if you get into anything slightly gnarly. And I would disable the footboards so that they STAY up out of the way. At least as much as they are capable.

Sounds like fun actually. You only live once. :)
I'll take that as a "yes" vote for the adjustable shock system ;) Good thoughts regarding the air dam and footboards. Thanks!

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I nuked the Air dam and steps completely. It was easier for me because I have an aftermarket front bumper, but also because the XLT has fixed steps that are bolted to the BODY. I realized that the fixed step is a giant lever jerking on studs affixed to the cab body panel, which seems like a recipe for "yank a chunk out of your truck's floorboards".

Folding steps are likely better by their very nature.
Sponsored