First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 4WD
Occupation
CEO
I educating myself on the TT towing to make sure I'm within a safety zone I'm okay with.

I'm 63 years old, I've pulled lumber, playboy magazines, steel, toilet paper, giant rolls of paper, machinery, vehicles, motorcycles and a bunch of other shit all over this country.

I've built out and pushed the largest tow every pushed up the Miss River. 72 barges, 15 acres. I've flipped around 35 x 205 foot 200 ton barges on a 3/4 inch nylon rope, while floating down the river on a 9000 HP 5 story towing vessel, 35 feet wide by 205 feet long., at 8 miles a hour to drop them at a location without having to stop the towing vessel. All while standing on 35 other barges attached to the boat. I've hauled Bull Dozers, TT, enclosed trailers up to 53 feet long and hauled splashing water and fuel tanks since 1975.

I've driven a 8 wheel 4WD tractor. with a 20 foot wide disc down a 2 lane State road. I've run some of the biggest tractors and combines in the country., Not to mention hauling 800 bushels of grain in a Ford 880 while shifting a 4 x 5 transmission and steering with my elbow all while going 60 mph. I think I was 14 at the time!!

I've done my best to raise 10 kids, I have 13 grandkids and 5 great grand kids.
And I'm just learning about all this weight distribution crap. LOL

I've dealt with some sway!

I've learned and I'm better than I was yesterday.
And hope to be better than that tomorrow.
You guys be safe.
D Falcon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
I educating myself on the TT towing to make sure I'm within a safety zone I'm okay with.

I'm 63 years old, I've pulled lumber, playboy magazines, steel, toilet paper, giant rolls of paper, machinery, vehicles, motorcycles and a bunch of other shit all over this country.

I've built out and pushed the largest tow every pushed up the Miss River. 72 barges, 15 acres. I've flipped around 35 x 205 foot 200 ton barges on a 3/4 inch nylon rope, while floating down the river on a 9000 HP 5 story towing vessel, 35 feet wide by 205 feet long., at 8 miles a hour to drop them at a location without having to stop the towing vessel. I've hauled Bull Dozers, TT, enclosed trailers up to 53 feet long and hauled splashing water and fuel tanks since 1975.

I've driven a 8 wheel 4WD tractor. with a 20 foot wide disc down a 2 lane State road. I've run some of the biggest tractors and combines in the country., Not to mention hauling 800 bushels of grain in a Ford 880 while shifting a 4 x 5 transmission and steering with my elbow all while going 60 mph. I think I was 14 at the time!!

You guys be safe.
D Falcon.
Kudos to you! We’re always learning and you asking the question to begin with is the first step. With your varied experiences, you know that every vehicle/method of tow has its rules and tolerances. The F-150 is no different. Carry on with your new found knowledge!

Paul FP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
I sincerely hope my non-answer will be taken as 'kind' .....

I'm loath to give the requested opinion on this; I realize that many if not most RV's exceed the Ford guidance. In my case my narrow 7'-4"W x 10'H (73SF) 5th-wheel RV is within their recommended (and likely conservative) 75SF limit for my truck.

We all obviously see F150's pulling RV's exceeding that "frontal Area Consideration" recommendation. The consequence of frontal area is aerodynamic drag which increases exponentially with speed (velocity is squared in the aerodynamic drag equation) and, in combination with gross trailer weight, bears on engine, transmission, and drivetrain stress. Maybe worth noting that the separate 'shape factor' in the drag equation, within the practical limits of RV trailer packaging, has fractional effect on drag (you simply can't affect drag much at all within a shape that accommodates RV living requirements, hype to the contrary notwithstanding).

How much frontal area is too much frontal area? I honestly don't know, nor do I know how quickly that may manifest as a 'problem' in any given driving situation (it may only manifest as a reduction in long-term vehicle / component health).

All I will opine is that the OP's situation, significantly exceeding the aero-factor while also pushing the limits of the GTW factor, combine to create a situation I would avoid. Your proposed ~115% frontal area and 7k (max) GTWR are much less than his 'loads' and likely will impose much lower stress on your vehicle, especially if you temper your speed.

Sounds like a 'politicians non-answer', eh? Well, it is what it is, I'm not gonna stick my neck out on this one with some WAG hard number, you're just gonna have to be guided by your own best judgment, good sir. :)
Thought I had responded earlier, but it seems not to have posted. Anyway, many thanks for the in-depth and thoughtful response. Good to know about the drag. As a result of reading your post, I just watched a video on it. I guess the good news is that I have no intention of surpassi

Paul FP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Thought I had responded earlier, but it seems not to have posted. Anyway, many thanks for the in-depth and thoughtful response. Good to know about the drag. As a result of reading your post, I just watched a video on it. I guess the good news is that I have no intention of surpassing 55 with tbehe trailer. We're in no hurry (to jackknife). Also, we intend not to go beyond 6600 pounds in the trailer. Again, thanks!

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
So, back for more egg on the face. So I'm thinking to delete the 4 inch lift, go to leveled truck 2.5 inch in front. Add fox shocks and add super stopper brakes. Add the super spring. and 35/11-50's. E tire.
Add a weight distribution system and find another travel trailer that is lighter.
I really don't want to spend a 100,000 on another truck, this one has 22000 miles, coated and a lot of extras for a XLT.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for the time. Gentlemen.

Seeking knowledge, What is the best weight to pull with this setup?
Buy another 250/350 XLT. You won't spend $100,000, or Trade it on on a lightly used 250/350. The only thing I miss on my loaded up 23 XLT is the automatic walk away door locking.

Sponsored

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT

I've built out and pushed the largest tow every pushed up the Miss River. 72 barges, 15 acres. I've flipped around 35 x 205 foot 200 ton barges on a 3/4 inch nylon rope, while floating down the river on a 9000 HP 5 story towing vessel, 35 feet wide by 205 feet long., at 8 miles a hour to drop them at a location without having to stop the towing vessel. All while standing on 35 other barges attached to the boat. I've hauled Bull Dozers, TT, enclosed trailers up to 53 feet long and hauled splashing water and fuel tanks since 1975.

You guys be safe.
D Falcon.
Well I learned from you today. You've done more pushing and hauling than most and certainly more than this guy writing this reply yet you were humble enough to ask about the tiny f150 to ensure you were safe. All your posts were very respectful no matter what was posted which says a lot about you in my books. Don't think I am qualified to provide you much in the way of advice. I have appreciated the dialogue though. Thank you.

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
All of this conversation reminded me of the time I was pulling a 6,000 lb bay boat down to Rockport with a 2002 F150 XLT 4.? V8. No problem whatsoever.

On the way back I could only go 40 to 50 mph against a 30 mph wind. Gas mileage was awful, not just bad, but really awful. It used more fuel than John Kerry's jet. He would have me in jail based on my gas mileage today. I was even recognized as a Saudi supporter by the Sultan of Swat.

Me and the truck both were glad to be home. Went out and bought a 2014 F150 XLT 5.0 and have towed nothing since.

OP
OP

1911falcon

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 4WD
Occupation
CEO
All of this conversation reminded me of the time I was pulling a 6,000 lb bay boat down to Rockport with a 2002 F150 XLT 4.? V8. No problem whatsoever.

On the way back I could only go 40 to 50 mph against a 30 mph wind. Gas mileage was awful, not just bad, but really awful. It used more fuel than John Kerry's jet. He would have me in jail based on my gas mileage today. I was even recognized as a Saudi supporter by the Sultan of Swat.

Me and the truck both were glad to be home. Went out and bought a 2014 F150 XLT 5.0 and have towed nothing since.
So my gas milage is going to be 10 or 11 with a 250 fuel plus blue def you'll get 9.3. I'm good thanks

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
So my gas milage is going to be 10 or 11 with a 250 fuel plus blue def you'll get 9.3. I'm good thanks
Unless you are hauling very frequently, IMHO, the diesel is a no-go for me. The CP4 is an $8-10,000 time bomb using the US low sulfur diesel and I decided against keeping my 6.7L F250. IMHO, I'd try to estimate fuel economy with the 7.3L Godzilla motor.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Unless you are hauling very frequently, IMHO, the diesel is a no-go for me. The CP4 is an $8-10,000 time bomb using the US low sulfur diesel and I decided against keeping my 6.7L F250. IMHO, I'd try to estimate fuel economy with the 7.3L Godzilla motor.
Agreed. Hauling frequently and up/down steep grades.

Otherwise, for sub 12,000lbs, I would seriously consider a 1 ton SRW gas HD.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Now if I could just figure how to get Godzilla into my F150..............
Nothing stopping you from doing it but $$. What motor do you have? You can tune the 3.5 or blow the 5.0 and it'd be a better use of $. Trans clutches are still the weak point though.

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Pulling it isn't the issue. You will be pulled and blown all over the road cause the F150 is so small and your stopping is going to suck.

OP
OP

1911falcon

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 4WD
Occupation
CEO
Theirs's your sign folks!!

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
Just go with the 350. They aren't that much more although new/used inventory is harder to find. If/when I get another SD (I had a 21 F250 Lariat - only 2100 lbs payload!), I will go with a 350.
Sponsored