Hybrid option with a 4x2

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost (ETA Mar-2021)
Living in Dunedin FL. Don’t have an application for a 4x4 truck but interested in the hybrid motor

4x2 option is about $3k less in the hybrid model. Are there any major disadvantages to specifying the 4x2? I’m at Ferman Ford and they are looking at me like I’m the first person to ever specify this.

As a second option I’m considering just going with the eco boost.
Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Living in Dunedin FL. Don’t have an application for a 4x4 truck but interested in the hybrid motor

4x2 option is about $3k less in the hybrid model. Are there any major disadvantages to specifying the 4x2? I’m at Ferman Ford and they are looking at me like I’m the first person to ever specify this.

Unless you go off roading very often, you really don’t need a 4x4 in Florida.

Just make sure you get the ELD.

I live in GA so similar to FL and on my 2016 2WD with ELD, I’ve never had to use it.

OP
OP

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Which selection do I need to make in the 2021 configuratior to ensure I have the electronic locking differential?

would this be of help on a slippery boat ramp? That’s about the only time I can see us using 4wd or locked diff.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Which selection do I need to make in the 2021 configuratior to ensure I have the electronic locking differential?

would this be of help on a slippery boat ramp? That’s about the only time I can see us using 4wd or locked diff.
You can choose e-lock option on the build and price Ford site. I live in NC and I’ve always had to order a 2WD truck and yes they look at you kind of weird When you want a 2WD. I have driven in deep sand and occasional snow and I have always gotten along with e-lock or limited slip differential.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150

Go to the Ford.com website and take a look at the B&P feature.

As you’re building your vehicle, scroll down to the options which will be on the left hand side.......there you’ll see the ELD option as a well as rear gearing options.

Once you click ELD, the configurator will let you know what else or if anything else is required to get the ELD or certain other options that you might be interested in.

In closing, I’m not sure if this matters to you but, in order to get “LED headlights” on the 2021 F150, at the very minimum, you’ll have to step up to a XLT with the 302A package.

I hope this info helps you out and congrats on your new F150.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. Looking at ordering the platinum 701a.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150

I’m a novice, and I can even give you a few talking points as to why. Not sure why your dealer is so perplexed.

Like others mentioned, for off-roading purposes.

Also depending on how you spec your truck, some 4x4s will come with a 4A (auto) mode which is not AWD, but can give you some extra traction when needed without as much worry of doing harm to your transfer case.

You also get additional drive modes. I’m not certain if the 4x2 gets the drive mode selector.

OP
OP

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Advantages of the 4x2 appear to be higher payload capacity + towing capacity.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Advantages of the 4x2 appear to be higher payload capacity + towing capacity.
Correct. The transfer case and other 4x4 components add at least a few hundred pound to the curb weight.

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired

I live in Ohio and II am requesting 4X2 with hybrid, just so I can visit florida.

Reactions: RDH

Sponsored

OP
OP

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m surprised to see that there are not fuel economy numbers for the 4X2 PowerBoost yet. Will they be coming out later? Only the 4X4 numbers are posted at 24/24. I suspect (hope) the 4X2 PowerBoost might jump to 25/25 or better without the added weight.
Ford F-150 Hybrid option with a 4x2 0353DEBD-7982-4B92-9B14-24B4F5049EF2

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I’m surprised to see that there are not fuel economy numbers for the 4X2 PowerBoost yet. Will they be coming out later? Only the 4X4 numbers are posted at 24/24. I suspect (hope) the 4X2 PowerBoost might jump to 25/25 or better without the added weight.
0353DEBD-7982-4B92-9B14-24B4F5049EF2.png
The 3.55 rear end in the 4x2 should be good for a couple MPG on the highway I bet. I really wish they would have allowed us to choose the 3.55 for the 4x4 for that reason alone.

Reactions: RDH
OP
OP

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
+$2,430 (Msrp) to go from a 4X2 to a 4X4 in the platinum powerboost is a tough decision. Not that much IMO. :unsure:

If it was a $5k+ upgrade it would be an easy no. For the money it might be a wise investment however.

Knowing the fuel efficiency numbers on the 4X2 would be helpful in the decision process. If it’s only +1mpg I’ll probably opt for the 4X4.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’d say a 1-3 mile per gallon increase with a 4x2 similarly spec’ed is a safe bet.

OP
OP

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’d say a 1-3 mile per gallon increase with a 4x2 similarly spec’ed is a safe bet.
For my use pattern in FL, If it’s 1mpg I would do the 4x4, if it’s 3mpg I would do the 4x2. 2mpg is a coin flip. :D
Sponsored