Sponsored

Do 4x4 trucks really have a better resale value than 4x2 trucks?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I agree, I have had limited slip or e-lock on all my trucks. That is a must have.
Can you explain the rationale? I am considering ordering a 4x2 with non-limited slip but the electronic diff is just $400 extra. But if I only drive on-road in NC where it never snows, so I need the upgrade? Apologies I don’t know anything about it.
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Around me it never snows but people drive to Lake Tahoe in the winter, where it dumps. So one buyer in the future may require 4x4 and another may just want to stay local, where 4x2 would be fine. I suspect that around me there just wouldn’t be that many buyers for 4x2s for that reason.

XenScott

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Homebuilder
4 wheel drive is like a pistol. A gentleman seldom needs it, but when he does, he needs it badly.

stolen from Churchill I think.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Can you explain the rationale? I am considering ordering a 4x2 with non-limited slip but the electronic diff is just $400 extra. But if I only drive on-road in NC where it never snows, so I need the upgrade? Apologies I don’t know anything about it.
It has to do with re-sell.

The demand is much higher for 4X4s new and used, so if you don't keep your vehicles long you need to have your selling vehicle equipped for what has the highest demand.

If you keep them till they die, it's not an issue.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
If you never drove where it snows or you never drove off a hard top road you would probably never need a locking rear differential. I occasionally drove my 2018 2WD through sand and loose dirt fields using e-lock with no problems. Without it I would have gotten stuck.

Sponsored

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Here in central Alberta, a two wheel drive truck is as rare as a regular cab truck. With our winters, and for towing and hunting/fishing, two wheel drive would be useless to me. And if you decide to sell one, they don't get much attention, or bring much money.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Absolutely, at least in Texas. There is a much larger market for 4X4 pickups than there is for 4X2 trucks. You can play with market value #s all you want but it's the market that drives sales.

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
Yes, generally speaking, a 4x4 truck has a better resale value than a 4x2 truck.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
If you never drove where it snows or you never drove off a hard top road you would probably never need a locking rear differential. I occasionally drove my 2018 2WD through sand and loose dirt fields using e-lock with no problems. Without it I would have gotten stuck.
Pretty much described my use to the T… 99.9% flat top paved road. 0.01% snow and 0.09% some dirt/gravel roads. 0% off road.

Got 4x2 w/ eLock because the added weight of the 4x4 does reduce capacity and the weight/height does make about a 1-2 mpg fuel economy difference over the lifetime of the vehicle…. The eLock should be plenty to keep me out of trouble on the rare dirt road.

Resale not a factor for me as I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off.
Sponsored