A la carte hybrid opinions?

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I was thinking, the electric motor used on the PowerBoost really is only specific to the 10R80 transmission unit if you look at the design. Ford realistically could make the hybrid an add on option for every powertrain. So essentially Ford could offer all the engines in their standard form and then the hybrid version of the 10R80 to attach to each powertrain if the customer desires a hybrid.

Just a thought, if you’ve been reading up GM is rolling out a new 6th generation of the small block V8 next year, and it’s looking like their new powertrain options will have a hybrid available. I don’t think it’s a half bad idea, and then if you don’t want the hybrid you can just opt for the regular powertrain instead. Not sure which I’d go for, but I think it would be plausible to make the option a la carte for all trims/engines.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The concept you describe is valid.
But what Ford did with the Powerboost is far more than just the electric drive motor that is attached to the Torque Converter in the 10r80 MHT.

There's a ton of packaging concerns throughout the truck as a result of Ford's approach with the Powerboost. Even the name "Powerboost" reveals what Ford was intending. You do realize that there's not one sticker or emblem anywhere on this truck that mentions "Hybrid" Surely that's intentional.

Still, I get what you are saying. Ford certainly COULD simplify what they have put in the Powerboost and do just a down & dirty Hybrid package using the 10r80 MHT and the necessary battery/components, making it available with multiple ICE motors.

Heck, they may already be working on it. But I personally don't think that they are following GM. Or anyone else for that matter. As big of a mess as they (Ford) are capable of making at times, it IS Ford that has been the innovator in the truck world, especially for the last decade.
(yes, I'm accused of being a fan. I suppose I am)

Whatever they are up to, I'm curious as heck.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I was reading on another forum where it came up Ford has filed a patent for the 5.0 with a hybrid generator attached at the transmission. It’s more likely this is for the Mustang but it got the gears turning lol

I just thought the 2.7 and 5.0 could both see some benefits with the addition of an option for hybrid.

You are correct, there are a lot of components to the PowerBoost and special considerations.
Sponsored

Last edited: