HVAC Blower All But Quit!!

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SCREW Lariat 501A
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
I have a 22’ lariat and tonight my family and I were headed to a town about an hour away for dinner and what not. I noticed that the auto setting was not keeping up and it was getting hot in the truck. I tried adjusting temperature and setting to max a/c and the blower was hardly putting out any air. I can hear it running and adjusting speed but there isn’t much air flow coming from the vents no matter what position it’s in. I’ve read some post about a TSB and some people having to have their whole ac system replaced. I hope ford will help out because I’m 1100 miles out of the 36,000 mile warranty. Just freaking great luck for me!! Can anyone shed some light on the TSB pertaining to this so I can be informed when I call the dealer Monday?
Sponsored

OP
OP

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
So just an update I guess I freaked out a little quick. After the truck sat for about an hour while we ate dinner I came out and noticed a pretty good size puddle and run off stream from under the truck. It appears that the condenser must have froze up and the system went into some kind of protect mode. Everything appeared to be working like normal after it sat. I’m still a little concerned as to why it froze up on a low humidity 80 degree day here in west Kentucky. I about due for a service so I may have them check everything and and see if it needs to be charged or not.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
That sucks, did you try the regular AC with recirculate not engaged?

The location of the fresh air vent is right under the cowl and at speed; even if it’s on the lowest setting, it blasts air right in. Which is something that those who hate the auto recirculate kill feature on normal/automatic AC.

Often times, when the AC refrigerant is low, it will freeze up the evaporator coil which is the one that produces the water condensation when your AC is functioning properly.

There might be a small leak in your system that needs to be repaired before it lets all the refrigerant out. It could be a leak from one of the o-rings, or a pinhole in the condenser coil; which is the one that is right in front of the radiator and especially vulnerable to road debris and sometimes vibration and loose parts on your own truck because they pack everything so tightly nowadays.

I hate saying this but if you are out of warranty; a good dedicated AC repair shop is the best way to go if it’s a problem with the actual AC system and not the truck’s software unless your dealership has an excellent service department. The 21+ F150s use a new refrigerant called 1234YF but it’s being moved to as the new standard, so if anyone says that they don’t work with that; they don’t do much AC work.

Hopefully someone chimes in that has experience with this.

Good luck!

Meterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I’ve had a similar problem on hot days where the blower isn’t blowing much air and it starts getting warm in the cabin. I’ve taken it to the dealer and they replaced the whole unit under the dash. It doesn’t appear to have fixed my issue since it happened yesterday. When this happens I need to pull over and shut off the truck and when I start it back up everything works correctly.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The TSB that matches the symptoms, if I recall correctly, is a temp sensor near the evaporator in the dash.

And yes, it causes it to freeze up and block the airflow, and returns to normal after the ice melts.

OP
OP

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
Thank you for the replies and info. I’m going to call on Monday and schedule and appointment with my dealer. Luckily their service manager and department have been excellent to work with so hopefully we can get this resolved! I’m pretty sure i wont be able to get it in next week and I have a golf trip planned next weekend that is about a 3 1/2 hour drive so that will be a good test for it if the temperatures are warm enough. I remember early on I had a day where it felt like the automatic temp control got stuck and wouldn’t adjust the fan speed but it corrected itself once a made a larger temperature adjustment so I didn’t think anything about it. Hadn’t had a lick of troubles out of it until today. I just need about 6-8 more months out it and it will be time to trade so may e I can get that out of it. I would really like to know it’s fixed though so someone else doesn’t have issues once I do trade it in.
Sponsored