First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Hi all - I suspect my transmission may be on its way out. 2018 3.5 eco 66,000 miles.
For the past year I've been paying attention to hard shifts and jerking when in 7th and 4th gear. A week ago, passing through 2nd gear I lost power for 4ish seconds - behaved like I was in neutral.
From what I've been reading, this sounds like what so many others have been experiencing and reporting. I did have the trany in the shop to be looked at for hard shifting at around 15,000 miles. Nothing was found but they reset the trans learning module.
I now I have a 2024 on order and plan to sell this one in June.
Would you take this to be looked at by Ford service? Anyone having luck getting Ford to pay for or split the cost of repairs for these? If so, what did you say or do that resulted in it being fixed by ford out of warranty. I can't afford to put money into this 18 if I'm turning around and selling in June. Seems like so many are failing at around 65,000 miles.
Welcome your thoughts on how to approach this. How long do you think I can drive it like it is?
Sponsored

Boen

First Name
andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Platinum
The 10R80 had a problem with a drum inside that the sleeve would move and damage a sealing ring, Only way to fix is to remove trans and replace the drum with a updated one. Not saying this is the problem but see it a lot at my shop.

OP
OP

cessna18860

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Thank you. Any chance that at least part of this cost is covered by Ford? After all, I did have it looked at around 15,000 miles but all they did was refer the module. I don't want to put $4,000 into this repair just to turn around and sell it in three months which is my plan since I have a 24 on order.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
If you're planning on trading at the dealer anyway on a 24, I wouldn't bother with it.

OP
OP

cessna18860

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Probably not trading at the dealer. Despite sales tax savings by trading it in, the dealer is offering $5,000 less than I can get for private party.

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
If you absolutely dont want fix it limit your use. One of my Dad's favorite reasons/sayings for buying new was "I don't want to buy someones problem"..So you can sleep at night mention it briefly to potential buyers. It's a known problem.
Sponsored