How Secure is Under-Seat Storage?

Steve5472

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Expedition Stealth Performance
For those who have the lockable under-seat storage option, I'm wondering if you can advise how secure it feels? Would you be confident locking your valuables in there without fear of someone being able to "muscle" their way into it?
Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
For those who have the lockable under-seat storage option, I'm wondering if you can advise how secure it feels? Would you be confident locking your valuables in there without fear of someone being able to "muscle" their way into it?
While I do not have it I did look at one to see if I wanted to add it to my order and it appeared fairly secure. Having said that not sure it matters, I mean is someone really going to break into a truck hoping it has under seat storage and that valuable are looked in it? Or more likely are they going to break into the truck that has said valuables siting on the seat just my thoughts

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I would say it's probably no less secure than any other under seat storage options I've seen. If someone really wants in there though, I don't think anything will keep them out.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
If all the doors on the truck are locked and someone breaks in, the alarm goes off. So, for a locked truck and people that do not have your key I do not believe there is a problem.

Here's the problem for an unlocked truck and solution in my opinion. The under seat storage uses the key in the key fob. If I let anyone have access to my key fob and it has the key in it then they have access to the under seat storage. A better solution in my opinion would be to use a software combination lock that could be locked/unlocked and programmed from the 12" display unit. That way it would work similar to the pushbutton lock on the driver door and be tied more easily into the alarm system. Changing the lock design to a programmed code might also be a good idea for the storage area between the front seat and glove box too. I'm sure I'm probably missing something that will throw a wrench into my recommended design change.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I have it. It's secure enough for anyone who tries to lift the seat to realize it's locked. It does go up about an inch (or so; didn't measure) when it's locked.
However, I got my truck last week and the storage lock on the driver's side is defective, so it could very well be that the seat does not go up at all when locked and perhaps it lifts a bit in mine also as a result of poor workmanship like other items that I found.
If the 1" lift is by design and the thief is equipped with a pry bar or something similar, there is no doubt in my mind that it can be broken into in less than 2 seconds.
Sponsored