Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Just found out that the '23 Platinum I have on order will also have the deleted steering wheel heat so following this thread with interest. I just don't know how we can _know_ whether a new wheel is needed without removing the airbag and looking for the heating element connector, which means waiting for the truck to show up. I have to assume, for now, that this will mean another $1.1-$1.2k for the right wheel, and figuring out which one to buy... ugh!
Prices could go up I suppose, but right now you can get a black leather heated wheel for about $160. I have about $300 in parts invested in getting my heated steering wheel. $650 if you include me buying a new HVAC module which isn’t necessarily required to make the wheel work
Sponsored

jpsmitty16

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Prices could go up I suppose, but right now you can get a black leather heated wheel for about $160. I have about $300 in parts invested in getting my heated steering wheel. $650 if you include me buying a new HVAC module which isn’t necessarily required to make the wheel work
Do you have a link for the heated wheel? I have links for the other parts.
And I guess the question is, is the stock wheel on lariat and platinum with the heated wheel deleted, a steering wheel that has heat element still?

jpsmitty16

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Do you have a link for the heated wheel? I have links for the other parts.
And I guess the question is, is the stock wheel on lariat and platinum with the heated wheel deleted, a steering wheel that has heat element still?
https://www.varsityfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-steering-wheel-ml3z3600ra

This the wheel?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Make sure if you have a platinum you get a wheel that has the electric assist in the wheel. Platinums had Electric assist standard. I dont know if that changes in 23. You also have a different SCCM due to that. So if you have a Platinum 21-22 the lariat parts will not work in your application and possibly the same for 23.

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Make sure if you have a platinum you get a wheel that has the electric assist in the wheel. Platinums had Electric assist standard. I dont know if that changes in 23. You also have a different SCCM due to that. So if you have a Platinum 21-22 the lariat parts will not work in your application and possibly the same for 23.
Good catch

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Is adaptive steering strictly a function of the steering wheel/SCCM, or are there other components required for adaptive steering?

jpsmitty16

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Jesse what is SCCM? For my lariat from what I understand, below is what I’ll need to order:

- steering wheel with heat element
- the thing that goes behind the steering wheel that has the prongs to connect power to heated steering wheel. Specifically with the telescoping steering wheel option.
- wiring to run power from fuse box to steering wheel
- optional - HVAC module if I want to control it via the buttons in the dashboard

anything else?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Jesse what is SCCM? For my lariat from what I understand, below is what I’ll need to order:

- steering wheel with heat element
- the thing that goes behind the steering wheel that has the prongs to connect power to heated steering wheel. Specifically with the telescoping steering wheel option.
- wiring to run power from fuse box to steering wheel
- optional - HVAC module if I want to control it via the buttons in the dashboard

anything else?
SCCM is the thingy behind the steering wheel.

Sponsored

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
Here is a quick video on the hardware side of this swap and I'm no Youtuber by any means. All the other details, part numbers, schematics, Forscan changes required can easily be found by reading through this thread top to bottom.

Question for you, on your original SCCM was the wires populated on the back side for the power to heat the wheel? I know it wasnt on the airbag contact side (clockspring).
Thanks!

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Question for you, on your original SCCM was the wires populated on the back side for the power to heat the wheel? I know it wasnt on the airbag contact side (clockspring).
Thanks!
No, there are no pins populated on either side if it doesn't have heat.

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
No, there are no pins populated on either side if it doesn't have heat.
That would put to rest the idea of just changing the clockspring alone, one would need the entire sccm then to make it function.

I am reluctant on purchasing parts as I will have a column shift not a consol. so not sure how it will all piece together with the sccm and clockspring.
Sponsored

Last edited: