First Name
Law
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 5.0 FX4 Screw
Occupation
Bullshit Detector
I am hoping the 2021 LED lamps will earn a better safety rating from the insurance and highway safety testing. When I last checked only the Honda Ridgeline had a “good” rating.

My eyes at 55 not like they were at 44?...Anyone heard any good things to share ?
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I am hoping the 2021 LED lamps will earn a better safety rating from the insurance and highway safety testing. When I last checked only the Honda Ridgeline had a “good” rating.

My eyes at 55 not like they were at 44?...Anyone heard any good things to share ?
From what I’ve head on this forum, the LED headlights on the F-150s have a reputation of being pretty good. But I agreed, a lot of vehicles leave much to be desired. A lot of it is due to bureaucracy and outdated DHSMV regulations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...381/why-is-america-stuck-with-bad-headlights/

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Never cared for LED lighting or actually being on the receiving end of those bright retina burning things.
Ive always had issues with night blindness after a car passes me and those bright lights are just a nuisance to me.

At the same time, I seldom use bright lights at all, and I'm pretty rural.
only use the brights on desolate Hiways wwith little to no traffic.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Never cared for LED lighting or actually being on the receiving end of those bright retina burning things.
Ive always had issues with night blindness after a car passes me and those bright lights are just a nuisance to me.

At the same time, I seldom use bright lights at all, and I'm pretty rural.
only use the brights on desolate Hiways wwith little to no traffic.

I know. Now it’s my turn!!

But seriously, something to think about that a lot of people neglect. If you level or lift a truck, the headlights are no longer pointed in the correct direction for the majority beam to pointed down at the road. With the lifts, it’s pointed up and right into other driver’s windows.

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
I have always had a pair of these Lightforce Striker HID spotlights mounted on my truck with the Blue filters on them aimed DOWN for winter driving. Never found any other light does the job of properly illuminating the highway in bad weather on Snow and Ice.

Ford F-150 Headlight Ratings striker-170-driving-light-pair_1[1]

Ford F-150 Headlight Ratings genesis-led-blue-flood-filter[1]

Unless the lights on the new truck are just amazing, I would expect to put another set of these on it as well.

Sponsored

TheGoodLife

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
I have always had a pair of these Lightforce Striker HID spotlights mounted on my truck with the Blue filters on them aimed DOWN for winter driving. Never found any other light does the job of properly illuminating the highway in bad weather on Snow and Ice.

striker-170-driving-light-pair_1[1].jpg

genesis-led-blue-flood-filter[1].jpg

Unless the lights on the new truck are just amazing, I would expect to put another set of these on it as well.
Curious - where do you mount these? On the grill? And do you have them professionally installed or is it pretty straightforward to diy? Improving visibility in snowy conditions while not blinding others would be fantastic.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

I loved the LEDs on my 2018!

Kyle makes a good point with the adjustments some do to their vehicles and not adjusting the lights properly.

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

striker-170-driving-light-pair_1[1].jpg

genesis-led-blue-flood-filter[1].jpg

You should try a yellow or amber filter, it will perform better in bad conditions.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I know. Now it’s my turn!!

But seriously, something to think about that a lot of people neglect. If you level or lift a truck, the headlights are no longer pointed in the correct direction for the majority beam to pointed down at the road. With the lifts, it’s pointed up and right into other driver’s windows.
Also, people who don't have their trailer set up properly cause the rear of the vehicle to dip, and the front end to point up - same effect: blind the oncoming driver.

Are the new lights self-leveling?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, people who don't have their trailer set up properly cause the rear of the vehicle to dip, and the front end to point up - same effect: blind the oncoming driver.

Are the new lights self-leveling?
From what I’ve been told on this forum, yes they are. As long as your truck is equipped with the headlights that are the LED Projector with Dynamic Bending (Lariat 502A and up). They will apparently adjust up and down while going over hills and grades.

Ford F-150 Headlight Ratings EFBD5F15-323D-45FA-86D6-83852D1EA801

Sponsored

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
You should try a yellow or amber filter, it will perform better in bad conditions.
I have found their BLUE filter to work REALLY WELL in SNOW/ICE and RAIN.

Ford F-150 Headlight Ratings 2020-11-24_12-47-23

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
Curious - where do you mount these? On the grill? And do you have them professionally installed or is it pretty straightforward to diy? Improving visibility in snowy conditions while not blinding others would be fantastic.
I had a very minimalist Pre-Runner bar mounted to my bumper for these lights.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
From what I’ve been told on this forum, yes they are. As long as your truck is equipped with the headlights that are the LED Projector with Dynamic Bending (Lariat 502A and up). They will apparently adjust up and down while going over hills and grades.
I think those move with the steering wheel, left or right slightly. Helps in the turns. Not to sure about the leveling.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think those move with the steering wheel, left or right slightly. Helps in the turns.

Yes, I was aware of that too.

I can’t recall who, but I remember someone stating the lights can adjust up and down. I’ll try to find some confirmation.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
While researching, I found a good demonstration video of the adaptive headlights.

Maybe I misinterpreted it, one Ford website I found states the lights do actually adjust up and down, but it’s for length and intensity of the beam.

Ford F-150 Headlight Ratings 6F174A13-FC3D-474B-AED3-CFA43AE3F879
Sponsored