Sponsored

HDPP Lift Advice

dirty.hal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL Supercrew
Howdy,

I have a 2023 XL Supercrew with the 6.5' bed on order. I got the HDPP as I want to put a sled deck on and carry two snowmobiles as I am recently getting back into that hobby. The F150 was the only truck on the market with this kind of payload in a half-ton sized truck. I didn't want a bigger truck as my daily driver so this seemed like a great option.

My only issue is my driveway is incredibly steep and I am concerned with the approach/Departure angle so I would like to do a modest lift/level of 2-3" with some bigger tires to give myself a little more clearance so I don't have to worry about dragging my front/rear bumper. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of kits on the market and I wanted to ask around if anyone had any advice. I'm looking for function over looks.

Here's the options I'm looking at:

1. Spacer Kit - Seems cheap and effective
  2. Spacer kit with new UCA's - This only seems necessary if you go with 3" of lift?
  3. Bilstein 5100's - If I understand this kit correctly I can just install these shocks and I'll get 2" lift front and 1" rear with stock springs? Are the 5100's softer than the HDPP shocks?
Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored

Cgarvey73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2WD, HDPP
Occupation
Cabinetmaker
To bad you didn't get any replies. I've been searching threads looking for lift/level options for an hdpp (2022 2wd) as well. Don't have the funds at the moment but the best option I've found so far is through Halo lifts. I've been trying to figure out spring rates-i think the hdpp is 6??-2.0 vs 2.5 shocks, etc. The Halo coilovers come with 700lb springs but I'm not sure how the shock bodies compare to the stock hdpp shocks or how being 2wd affects the equation. Did you find a solution that works for you?

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Howdy,

I have a 2023 XL Supercrew with the 6.5' bed on order. I got the HDPP as I want to put a sled deck on and carry two snowmobiles as I am recently getting back into that hobby. The F150 was the only truck on the market with this kind of payload in a half-ton sized truck. I didn't want a bigger truck as my daily driver so this seemed like a great option.

My only issue is my driveway is incredibly steep and I am concerned with the approach/Departure angle so I would like to do a modest lift/level of 2-3" with some bigger tires to give myself a little more clearance so I don't have to worry about dragging my front/rear bumper. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of kits on the market and I wanted to ask around if anyone had any advice. I'm looking for function over looks.

Here's the options I'm looking at:

1. Spacer Kit - Seems cheap and effective
  2. Spacer kit with new UCA's - This only seems necessary if you go with 3" of lift?
  3. Bilstein 5100's - If I understand this kit correctly I can just install these shocks and I'll get 2" lift front and 1" rear with stock springs? Are the 5100's softer than the HDPP shocks?
Thanks in Advance!
Unless the rear shocks come with coilovers, the shock itself won't give ANY lift. Their sole purpose is to stabilize ride firmness for handling. I have installed several Halo type spacers without any problems and adequate clearance. I have also used a couple of Leveling Struts from 2 well known Manufactures that lifted but had a harsher ride. It really up to you and how much you want to spend.Btw I like the HDPP 18" wheels.

zimmer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
i would consider the 4" maxtrac spindle if 2wd. Adding an OEM 4wd block would get you damn close to leveled 4wd stance. Not to mention saving your front end components from excessive wear from a spacer/coilover kit.

Cgarvey73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2WD, HDPP
Occupation
Cabinetmaker
Spacers are definitely a no go. The plan was a coilover and uca for the front to level it out some while maintaining some rake for towing and hauling. It is an hdpp after all. I agree and figured as much that a 4wd shock would add to the improvement in stance. The hdpp shocks are more stout than standard though and I don't want to possibly downgrade by going with a stock 4wd unit. Not sure if that would be the case. That's just my understanding/impression.

Sponsored

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
My truck is HDPP with Max tow on a 6.5ft bed, but it's 4WD. I took the 220# hit to payload yo get added flexibility for a loft and better capability for off pavement stuff.

Bilstein are definitely higher spring rate in the front springs, and the shocks, 6112 front and 5160 rear are much better rebound and compression rates for truck.

I did Roadmaster Active Suspension in the rear, and it got me about 3\4 inch of lift. Also did a slightly taller block in the rear, for an additional 1 inch.

After 35in tires, gave me another 1 in or so more of ground cleance.

For anything more than this, and I'll need a more dedicated off road truck, and it starts to eat away at payload\towing capacity.

My front bumper was the biggest improvement in getting over\onto stuff without scraping.

Ford F-150 HDPP Lift Advice PXL_20221230_192037574

Reactions: 780

Cgarvey73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2WD, HDPP
Occupation
Cabinetmaker
I understand. It wasn't so much the payload hit, my truck is xlt with a lot of options and 2780 lb payload, but rather the $4k hit for 4wd. My previous truck is a '99 2wd xlt I bought new and in the 15 years I've lived in TN there has really only been 2 times I could have used 4wd. Don't do a lot of off roading. The better choice of leveling kits would be nice though. Not looking for lift in the back really, just two functional inches or so in the front to clear 275/70r18 cooper discoverers. Not going to big on tires for mpg reasons.

OP
OP

dirty.hal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL Supercrew
I ended up putting the Rough Country 2" spacers and 1" rear block on. Made the ride just a touch Harsher but gave me some much needed clearance.

In the future I'd like to get some upgraded shocks such as the bilsteins to get back to the factory or better ride quality but It's not high on the list of things to do at the moment.

CarsWalk

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
My truck is HDPP with Max tow on a 6.5ft bed, but it's 4WD. I took the 220# hit to payload yo get added flexibility for a loft and better capability for off pavement stuff.

Bilstein are definitely higher spring rate in the front springs, and the shocks, 6112 front and 5160 rear are much better rebound and compression rates for truck.

I did Roadmaster Active Suspension in the rear, and it got me about 3\4 inch of lift. Also did a slightly taller block in the rear, for an additional 1 inch.

After 35in tires, gave me another 1 in or so more of ground cleance.

For anything more than this, and I'll need a more dedicated off road truck, and it starts to eat away at payload\towing capacity.

My front bumper was the biggest improvement in getting over\onto stuff without scraping.

PXL_20221230_192037574.jpg
So you had a 2.5” lift in the front and 3/4” in the back right? Did you get the standard road active suspension or the HD version? Which setting did you set it to so you would only get 3/4” lift? I have a 2021 FX4, I am debating doing the same exact set up that you did. I just worry that after installing the ras, the truck won’t be level.

Cgarvey73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2WD, HDPP
Occupation
Cabinetmaker
I ended up putting the Rough Country 2" spacers and 1" rear block on. Made the ride just a touch Harsher but gave me some much needed clearance.

In the future I'd like to get some upgraded shocks such as the bilsteins to get back to the factory or better ride quality but It's not high on the list of things to do at the moment.
How are the spacers working after a few months? Any issues? I'm thinking about splitting the difference and getting spacers and upper control arms to give me the lift at less cost. Pretty happy with the ride quality of the HDPP coilovers and it's a lot to upgrade those.

Sponsored

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
General Contractor
So you had a 2.5” lift in the front and 3/4” in the back right? Did you get the standard road active suspension or the HD version? Which setting did you set it to so you would only get 3/4” lift? I have a 2021 FX4, I am debating doing the same exact set up that you did. I just worry that after installing the ras, the truck won’t be level.
I bought the HD road active suspension, I had it on the highest setting, because I also added fair amount of weight on the back with the decked drawers and my tools and the RSI SmartCap.

My truck started with almost 4 inches of rake, so 2.5 in the front still left about 1.5 nose down after the highest setting on the Bilsteins.

I carry heavy loads and tow 6-8k every few days, and up to 13k about every other week, so I didn't want a fully level truck, because then, any amount of weight in the back with throw you into a stupid Carolina Squat stance.

That's why I was fine with the extra 3/4 to 1 inch of extra lift in the rear, it allowed for more payload without getting into a nose up position.

I actually ended up removing the RAS as of about a month ago, and did On-Board Air compressor and tank, plus Load Lifter Airbags. It allowed for better controll of the payload and trailer.

As a bonus, the airbags can be set to completely level when I'm running around town empty, and pump up to 45psi with a 12-13k trailer, and it takes all the sag out of the rear.

RAS HD was amazing as far as handling goes, and laterally, around corners it felt better, I was sad to lose the ride quality it added, but the airbags are better for towing and hauling, and that's a small price to pay for peace of mind when on the heavy side own the MaxTow range.

Ford F-150 HDPP Lift Advice PXL_20230516_190922036

Ford F-150 HDPP Lift Advice IMG_20230527_062122

Truck and trailer are 12.5k lbs together, and the trailer and dump bin are 5800lbs empty.

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
General Contractor
Are the HDPP coilovers different than standard?

Mine were swapped out for the bilstein's, before I hit 250 mi.

I also have the RAS HD that has maybe 10,000 mi on it

Cgarvey73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2WD, HDPP
Occupation
Cabinetmaker
How are the spacers working after a few months? Any issues? I'm thinking about splitting the difference and getting spacers and upper control arms to give me the lift at less cost. Pretty happy with the ride quality of the HDPP coilovers and it's a lot to upgrade those.
P
Are the HDPP coilovers different than standard?

Mine were swapped out for the bilstein's, before I hit 250 mi.

I also have the RAS HD that has maybe 10,000 mi on it
My understanding is that the spring rate on the HDPP is 614 and that the shocks are heavier duty. That info is from message board searching that I've done. I don't know with complete certainty.
Sponsored