Can you lift a HDPP truck?

pawlyb

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I understand that a lift reduces some of the advantages given by the HDPP. However, the two competing goals here are increased payload capacity and increased ground clearance, the latter of which necessitates a lift beyond roughly 34" tires. My question is less about should one do this (although advice is welcome) and more about can it be done, in the following sense: Does the suspension lift directly conflict with components installed with the HDPP, namely in the rear suspension/shocks?

Any advice is very appreciated.
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Other than the 3/4 float axle shared with Max Tow, I think that the main difference in HDPP is the frame in some configurations and the rear spring rates on the leaf packs, Ford claims that the shocks are different but I don't know just haw different.

What is the end purpose of your build, because for an overlanding application, increased GVWR and clearance need not be mutually exclusive? Many people are out driving around overweight after adding up all accessories and gear. If you work with an expert off-roading shop, they should be able to help select the correct length shocks and better advise on what will and won't work.

Usually though, it's more popular to lift the Superduty trucks because of their solid front axle.

OP
OP
pawlyb

pawlyb

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Other than the 3/4 float axle shared with Max Tow, I think that the main difference in HDPP is the frame in some configurations and the rear spring rates on the leaf packs, Ford claims that the shocks are different but I don't know just haw different.

What is the end purpose of your build, because for an overlanding application, increased GVWR and clearance need not be mutually exclusive? Many people are out driving around overweight after adding up all accessories and gear. If you work with an expert off-roading shop, they should be able to help select the correct length shocks and better advise on what will and won't work.

Usually though, it's more popular to lift the Superduty trucks because of their solid front axle.
Well that's just it - I know how easy it could be to overload when one considers towing anything near the f150's quoted maximum tow capabilities and then adding people, gas, supplies. So the HDPP makes sense from that perspective. What I'm trying to build is a rig that will be capable for big game hunting. Possibly tow a cargo trailer 1000km, dump it off and then be able to go up old washed up decrepit roads (grnd clearance).

I don't see myself using max payload and added ground clearance at the exact same time. I was thinking something modest like a 4 inch lift so I could run 35's with a lot of travel. But hopefully still be north of 2000lbs payload with this configuration on flatland.

Thanks for the help, and for pointing me in the direction of the superduty. I'll be considering that, also.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Unless the roads you plan on going to are really crazy, I think that a stock 4X4 F-150 is pretty capable. I've been watching videos on YouTube review channels where they have been taking stock Tremor models on some pretty challenging trails. Ones that I wouldn't take a Jeep Wrangler on if I were by myself. Somewhere here, there's also a thread on adding the FX4 software features with Forscan. That along with some skid plates and rock sliders will go a long way.

I was just at the dealership the other day, I wish I took a picture, I parked right next to their fully loaded Bronco and while it's spec'd above a Rubicon Wrangler and sits on 35" tires, my stock 4X4 F-150 wasn't dwarfed by it. I think leveled on 34"s or even 33"s like the Tremor would be just fine.

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Unless the roads you plan on going to are really crazy, I think that a stock 4X4 F-150 is pretty capable. I've been watching videos on YouTube review channels where they have been taking stock Tremor models on some pretty challenging trails. Ones that I wouldn't take a Jeep Wrangler on if I were by myself. Somewhere here, there's also a thread on adding the FX4 software features with Forscan. That along with some skid plates and rock sliders will go a long way.

I was just at the dealership the other day, I wish I took a picture, I parked right next to their fully loaded Bronco and while it's spec'd above a Rubicon Wrangler and sits on 35" tires, my stock 4X4 F-150 wasn't dwarfed by it. I think leveled on 34"s or even 33"s like the Tremor would be just fine.
+1 on this. I drive mine on a lot of old 4x4 mining/forest service roads in Colorado and have never had an issue. Nothing super crazy but definitely some large rocks/small boulders and have never had an issue with FX4 even with the air dam. It’s tucked pretty tight to the wheel and you don’t lose a ton of clearance. Unless you are driving over downed trees or something it’s probably fine on most mining/forest service type unmaintained roads.

I had a Wrangler before this and the sacrifices with the truck have generally been about size, not ground clearance. A truck isn’t nearly as maneuverable as a Jeep because it’s so much bigger; and more ground clearance isn’t going to help that.

Unless you have deep water crossing stock is probably fine for most places a truck will go anyway. Just make sure to slap some good tires on it and you will probably be fine. The only thing that might be a bit limiting is the air dam, though as mentioned I have never had any real issues because it sits pretty close to the tire. Putting a tremor type bumper on would probably help this but at the cost of some MPG. Definitely less of a mileage hit than a lift and bigger tires though.

OP
OP
pawlyb

pawlyb

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
+1 on this. I drive mine on a lot of old 4x4 mining/forest service roads in Colorado and have never had an issue. Nothing super crazy but definitely some large rocks/small boulders and have never had an issue with FX4 even with the air dam. It’s tucked pretty tight to the wheel and you don’t lose a ton of clearance. Unless you are driving over downed trees or something it’s probably fine on most mining/forest service type unmaintained roads.

I had a Wrangler before this and the sacrifices with the truck have generally been about size, not ground clearance. A truck isn’t nearly as maneuverable as a Jeep because it’s so much bigger; and more ground clearance isn’t going to help that.

Unless you have deep water crossing stock is probably fine for most places a truck will go anyway. Just make sure to slap some good tires on it and you will probably be fine. The only thing that might be a bit limiting is the air dam, though as mentioned I have never had any real issues because it sits pretty close to the tire. Putting a tremor type bumper on would probably help this but at the cost of some MPG. Definitely less of a mileage hit than a lift and bigger tires though.

Huge help both of you, thanks. Good to know this will probably provide ample clearance and I don't have to sacrifice on the added stability going with the heavier duty packages. And at the end of the day, if the road is too gnarly, it's quadding or walking. Thanks again

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Huge help both of you, thanks. Good to know this will probably provide ample clearance and I don't have to sacrifice on the added stability going with the heavier duty packages. And at the end of the day, if the road is too gnarly, it's quadding or walking. Thanks again
Yeah I think if the road gets beyond what the truck would handle a quad would be faster and way more pleasant anyway.
Sponsored