Having issues with electricals

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You can't put an H8 in the Powerboost. Part of the real estate of the tray is allocated to be battery isolator hardware.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Went out and read the system voltage: 12.29VDC. Been sitting and off since mid-day yesterday. Ambient temp is about 35ºF with overnight being about 27ºF. Have never had a fail start or any of the other symptoms described above. Will continue to watch. As I've mentioned before, had some funny things happen right before Thanksgiving two years ago. Stopped in and got a NAPA #9894R Battery (their catalog drop in for the 21 Powerboost). Have had zero peeps out of the electrical system since. Will continue to monitor and record.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
Stopped in and got a NAPA #9894R Battery (their catalog drop in for the 21 Powerboost).
Mine is getting soft. 11.84V this morning before power-up in 30F temps. I'm assuming that my OEM battery is probably not covered by warranty at 20 months. Thanks for the reference, this might be my xmas present.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It might very well still be covered under warranty.
But there's 2 issues with that:

1. The hassle of getting the dealership to declare it bad.
2. It'll be another Motorcraft battery. Which I highly regarded historically, but no longer.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Went out and read the system voltage: 12.29VDC. Been sitting and off since mid-day yesterday. Ambient temp is about 35ºF with overnight being about 27ºF. Have never had a fail start or any of the other symptoms described above. Will continue to watch. As I've mentioned before, had some funny things happen right before Thanksgiving two years ago. Stopped in and got a NAPA #9894R Battery (their catalog drop in for the 21 Powerboost). Have had zero peeps out of the electrical system since. Will continue to monitor and record.
Went out this morning, 10ºF overnight and 19ºF now. Measured system voltage: 12.74VDC. Left the hood ajar so didn't have to open the door to unlatch hood since opening the door starts up some things. The higher voltage appears to be from not stimulating the truck with all of the stuff that kicks in when you open a door. Such a drain would lower voltage by its current draw.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Mine is getting soft. 11.84V this morning before power-up in 30F temps. I'm assuming that my OEM battery is probably not covered by warranty at 20 months. Thanks for the reference, this might be my xmas present.
Hi there, Craig. This battery concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP
OnceAnEagle

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
So here are the results of the electrical issue. My updates were not downloading because the battery was low and living rural I do not have fast enough or even reliable Internet. So it took 10 hours to download 19 updates at the dealership. The issues are fixed, for now. I am not the only customer who cannot download updates around here and lucky for me the truck is under warranty. They also fixed 2 recalls, the wiper arm and chafing wire issues. I now have to get a trickle charger/maintainer and am looking at a NOCO Genius 5 or Battery Tender Plus. Not sure if I should direct mount or not. My wife and I will have to remember to unplug it before driving off until we get used to it. The wife's 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid also goes into system shutoff warning and I was going to put her battery on a trickle charger but the battery is in the trunk under the spare tire and not sure how to solve that one regarding mounting and access to plug it in. We just do not drive enough anymore. Thanks for all suggestions and advice and welcome any others.

OP
OP
OnceAnEagle

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Per Ford technician's suggestion to use a trickle charger, put the truck on a Schumacher 1.5 Amp charger/maintainer/float. Charged and maintained the battery overnight, no problem. Then the next day at some point the Schumacher gave a red light to indicate it stopped, as either the battery is bad (it tested fine) or there is a drain on the battery that needs to be corrected. Well, dealer and I know there is a drain or drains because of the issues I had, which for now are corrected, and I am not driving enough so the charger/maintainer was supposed to take care of that. Apparently, that is not the case. Now what?

Raptorbert

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Raptor
Occupation
Janitor
Per Ford technician's suggestion to use a trickle charger, put the truck on a Schumacher 1.5 Amp charger/maintainer/float. Charged and maintained the battery overnight, no problem. Then the next day at some point the Schumacher gave a red light to indicate it stopped, as either the battery is bad (it tested fine) or there is a drain on the battery that needs to be corrected. Well, dealer and I know there is a drain or drains because of the issues I had, which for now are corrected, and I am not driving enough so the charger/maintainer was supposed to take care of that. Apparently, that is not the case. Now what?
Any updates to your situation?

Sponsored

GrandpaD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Platinum PB 4x4 6.5 Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired
While I can't add much to resolving the issues, I will add I had a Schumacher (although 10amp) and it "red-lighted" on me twice trying to charge my PB. I returned it and the smart charger I have now runs without issues. No idea why the red light, I just find it curious I had the same experience as you with that brand.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I haven't had any of the bad issues. Never failed to start, no warnings while driving etc. but I regularly don't drive anywhere, for a week at a time and have had the remote features warning and once, the next step (shut down of something or other).

I've found that keeping the fob in the house, is very helpful. If I'm puttering in the garage and unnecessarily waking the thing up, just a few times in a day, I'll get the remote features warning that night, or the next day.

Several swear by the fan speed on 5 but I haven't noticed it helping and when I measured the voltage at the bat, could tell nothing material.

I do have eco idle enabled and try to remember to let it cycle to electric, before shutting it off.

The truck was built in May of this yr. and delivered the next month. It came with the H7 800 CCA bat. I haven't found the date of it's manufacture.

Sometimes, the screen will get a little glitchy. Slow to load, or even have to reboot itself. Takes between a few seconds and a couple minutes. Thats the most material problem so far and I use it as a clue to put it on the charger. The next day, all the gremlins will be gone.

FWIW

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the only thing anyone can swear on, regarding the fan speed on 5, is the DC-DC Converter absolutely increases the voltage to 14V+.

Whether that makes a difference in regard to charging the AGM adequately, it would still require ample time/opportunity to do so.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the only thing anyone can swear on, regarding the fan speed on 5, is the DC-DC Converter absolutely increases the voltage to 14V+.

Whether that makes a difference in regard to charging the AGM adequately, it would still require ample time/opportunity to do so.
I logged it in another post back there somewhere.

I checked V, at the bat, at each fan speed. I found nothing magic about fan speed 5, measuring it that way.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I logged it in another post back there somewhere.

I checked V, at the bat, at each fan speed. I found nothing magic about fan speed 5, measuring it that way.
Here it is. Post #11 of this thread.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/powerboost-12v-battery-charging-tip.18427/#post-361391

"I can't explain why but my results have a more normal result re charging and blower but only measuring volts at this time.

Truck was undisturbed for ~18 hrs. Last driven, several days ago.

6:15 a.m. Popped the hood.
Engine batt = 12.12V per digital multimeter.
Key on, fob in truck, AC off, ICE off, lights off.
14.45V
AC on, fan speed 1, ICE came on with AC.
14.46V
Fan speed 2 = 14.46
Fan speed 3 = 14.44
FS 4 = 14.43
FS 5 = 14.43
FS 6 = 14.42
FS 7 = 14.41
FS 7 plus both seats max cool = 14.41
ICE off, AC auto, FS 3, seats off = 14.44
Key off, fob out of truck = 12.64
6:34 a.m."
Sponsored