dvdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Hi all, I just got my 2022 lariat with the 6.5 bed for hauling motorcycles
trailers would've been the simpler option but i don't have the space to store

i purchased S curved ramps from amazon and i have retractable ratchet straps

any tips on how to secure the bike to the truck? should I use the boxlinks or the corner tiedowns

i wanted to use a pitbull system to mount my bikes,, but that requires drilling in the bed which I don't want to do yet!
Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I would definitely use the corner tiedowns over the boxlinks. What type of bikes?

OP
OP

dvdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
if I have two bikes, how can I tie them down ?

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
I splurged on the Ford factory loading ramp, which slides into a keyway in a replacement tailgate panel and love it... it can't slip off the tailgate! Also bought an extra set of L-track "pucks" for my Bike Binderz, which I use in my toyhauler and love them too. I had a 36" scrap piece of 1" square steel bar that I used as a backer plate (pictured). Not sure if you're hauling dirt bikes and I know you don't want to drill holes in your truck bed (yet), but this is the easiest/fastest way to secure dirt bikes I've found...

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed PXL_20220408_013940481

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed PXL_20220408_020357891

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed PXL_20220408_020859589

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed PXL_20220408_014053517

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed PXL_20220408_020336135

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed PXL_20220408_014430296

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed PXL_20220408_021053018

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed PXL_20220408_013953558

Sponsored

OP
OP

dvdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
I splurged on the Ford factory loading ramp, which slides into a keyway in a replacement tailgate panel and love it... it can't slip off the tailgate! Also bought an extra set of L-track "pucks" for my Bike Binderz, which I use in my toyhauler and love them too. I had a 36" scrap piece of 1" square steel bar that I used as a backer plate (pictured). Not sure if you're hauling dirt bikes and I know you don't want to drill holes in your truck bed (yet), but this is the easiest/fastest way to secure dirt bikes I've found...
hey man thanks for all the pics!! that setup looks great! is that the OEM stowable loading ramps? they're like $1400!! they look really convenient but i was worried about ground clearance

is that two ramps joined or is that one ramp side that extends? do you know the length

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
hey man thanks for all the pics!! that setup looks great! is that the OEM stowable loading ramps? they're like $1400!! they look really convenient but i was worried about ground clearance

is that two ramps joined or is that one ramp side that extends? do you know the length
Yes, it's the Ford OEM/factory loading ramp setup. I think the price for a single ramp kit is more like $600, but I happened to find it all lightly used off Craigslist in town for $200. The Gen 14 tailgate panel is the same as the Gen 13 tailgate panel, so if you find a used one off a 2010-2020 truck it should work fine for your 21+. The kit comes with 2 ramp storage brackets that hook into the BoxLink cleats on one side, so the ramp doesn't slide around in the bed like an aftermarket ramp. Yes, the pic shows the ramp extended to full length, but it has a nice quality pin that you pull to adjust to multiple lengths. If I remember right it says "Max Weight 800 lbs" so a sport bike would be fine too. I'll try to measure the length tonight, but dimensions should be available somewhere with a Google search...

The Bike Binderz only attach to the pegs (no straps to handlebars!) and they are REALLY well made and kind of expensive but they'll last a lifetime. Bike has never moved, whether in the back of the truck or in the toy hauler. I purposely mounted the Bike Binderz farther back in the bed so the front tire clears the rolled up BAK X4s bed cover so I don't have to remove it to haul a bike (y) The tailgate won't close like I'd prefer, but the tool/water/storage platform I built keeps gear bags and coolers from sliding out out the back... so far.

If I have to haul a second bike in the bed, I'd use straps and the lower box tie downs likes @ryanc111 said. I wouldn't trust the 4 little BoxLink cleat screws if you happen to hit a sweet jump with some bikes in the back :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

BIGSTUF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XLT Powerboost
-Dual wheel chocks at the bulkhead.
-Tie downs to the front lower corners from handlebar down to hold in place when you hit bumps (don’t go CRAZY cranking down on it or you could rupture a fork tube…but a little squat is perfectly fine).

Bob’s your uncle. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve taken my bike places and never had any issues

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed B4A3961A-C4DD-4D98-928E-FAB905074715

https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle/wheel-chock/p/BW-PRO-CHOCK-2/

Billy231

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerstroke
Occupation
Retired
Coming from an 8’ bed on an F250, which was ideal to transport bikes, I always found myself alone when I wanted to get the bike up there. I bought this hitch mounted bike carrier and when I sold my former truck and settled for the silly 5.5’ bed, which is pretty useless this carrier comes in pretty handy for the bike and other items needing transport. My KTM is a little over 300# and I can get it up there pretty easily. Never into the bed, that would be painful. This works for me.

Ford F-150 hauling motorcycles in bed CB18F4F7-DA6B-42A3-935B-89089119CA27

OP
OP

dvdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
whats the tongue weight on the f150?? these always seemed sketchy to me but looks like its working well for you!

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Depending on which hitch you get, it’s up to 500lbs. Though mine says that’s with weight distribution hitches, I have no clue what that means for one of those cargo/motorcycle/mobility scooter racks.

As long as you are within your GAWRs, you might actually have better stopping distance with it hanging off the back of the truck like that!

Billy231

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerstroke
Occupation
Retired
I have no idea what the tongue weight rating is. I wouldnt believe it anyway, most numbers are skewed anyways, then try to figure out that number when its stretched out 18" from the pin you will have some other number. This carrier has been on my wifes Tahoe, and several other vehicles with no issue. As long as I dont have to push a bike up into the bed again, this will be my go to.
The carrier itself is rated for 600#. I have seen them bolted onto the rear of motorhome bumpers with heavier bikes then mine and still going. Nothing sketchy, just ease of use. Theres no way I would use ramps again, especially short ramps of any kind, unless I can easily walk it up, with the ground level helping me. Just asking for trouble unless you have 3 people who are all 6'+ tall each.

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
If it's a streetbike, I second the "wheel chock" recommendations. Something like this so you can take in and out, then tie down to the corners.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...amp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B01B3JZWDQ

If a dirtbike, stuff the wheel in the corner of the bed and tie down.
That's what I use. I just use tiedowns to secure the chock to the corners (instead of drilling into the bed) and then use tiedowns on the bike. The chock pictured keeps it VERY secure and requires quite a bit of force to roll it off of the chock.

doocatracer08

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 FORD F150 TREMOR, BLACK, 402A
Occupation
designer
definetly a wheel chock for a sport bike, if you dont have a wheel chock yet use a tie down and wrap it around front tire and secure it on both sides, this makes it so tire wont try to turn on you
Sponsored