First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Hybrid, Dbl cab, short bed
Occupation
Retired educator
I have a Lariat Dbl Cab. I can fold down the passenger side rear seat back by pulling a tab. The back folds down and makes a flat surfaceI. can not find a tab, or any way, to release the larger 2/3 section of seat back. Is there a way to do that?
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Yes you can, but it's something that is hard to do manually. I bought the following and added it to my '17. When I got my '22 I moved it over and it works just as well.

https://builtrightind.com/products/builtright-industries-ford-f-series-rear-seat-release-kit
HA! I bookmarked this link. I cannot tell from the pictures how this works exactly but this might save me some internet searching when I finally get my truck.

I can see myself saying OMG there has to be a better way to drop this seat and then spending days trying to find an answer to some little obscure issue that bugs me. :) Hollow and Frank you may have just saved me that trouble!

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
It really is a pain in the ass to get It down the first time but once you add the bracket (just 2 torx screws) it's easy.

Closing isn't always as easy as the passenger side but I rarely open it.

I will warn you. If you have the b&o in your truck (esp the unleashed), you likely won't have much to back there. I had a lot more room behind my '17 than I do in my '22. Here is a pic of behind my '22 with the normal b&o sound system.

Ford F-150 Fold Down Rear Seat Backs? PXL_20220528_211034980

And here is the bracket installed behind the seat (I guess I should have taken the pic further away so you could see where it is. It's raining now so if you want a pic of it I can get one later)
Ford F-150 Fold Down Rear Seat Backs? PXL_20220528_211040623

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Thanks for the pics that does show me what it does. I will find out where it is eventually, but this lets me know what a solution looks like and how it functions.

I too will have the regular B&O sound (not unleased) so mine should look like yours. In looking at it I think I will probably leave the seat up and deal with the seats headrest if it blocks any view. There doesn't look like there is any space back there.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
There's not really. They could have organized it better and left some room. K out so much stuff back there in my '17 that I no longer have room for (ratchet straps, 30' jumper cables, etc.).

I liked it. Because I could store all that stuff back there and still lift up both seats for when I had to transport my 140# great Pyrenees. Also kept it out of the bed.

Still looking for a good solution to all that.

OP
OP
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Hybrid, Dbl cab, short bed
Occupation
Retired educator
Gee, that doesn't look like fun, nor worth it.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Gee, that doesn't look like fun, nor worth it.
You only have to do that once to install the bracket (I didn't watch the video, so assume it only showed the manual way). I agree though if you have the B&O sound system it's not worth it. I installed the bracket because I owned it already and if I need to get back there for some reason it's now easy to do so.

Kliza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I will warn you. If you have the b&o in your truck (esp the unleashed), you likely won't have much to back there. I had a lot more room behind my '17 than I do in my '22. Here is a pic of behind my '22 with the normal b&o sound system.
I have the same installed and you're right there is not much room at all. But since I already bought it I decided to leave it in place. I was having a hard time getting my seat to latch the last time I opened it. I can't remember how I did it but I was eventually able to get it to lock.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I have the same installed and you're right there is not much room at all. But since I already bought it I decided to leave it in place. I was having a hard time getting my seat to latch the last time I opened it. I can't remember how I did it but I was eventually able to get it to lock.
Closing it is not all that great. It was the same on my '17. Instead of using the same type of latch as on the passenger side they have some weird (likely cheaper?) one. If the little bar it latches on moves it won't close, but even then, you have to SLAM it to get it closed.

I see some say to lift the bottom up and then unlatch the back (even with the strap installed), but I have never done that. I just pull the strap with the seat in it's normal position and closing it normally takes 3-4 good tries.

Again I don't go back there that much (and it will be even less on the '22) so it's no big deal.

OleCuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
I put in the same strap/release on my 2021 with B&O. Once I got back in there I figured I might as well install the thing although there's little to no benefit from doing that.

You have to align the rod on the bracket properly (there are small tabs on the bracket mounted behind the seat which seem to mark the right level) and then slam the sucker.

It's just never going to be a friendly system and effectively no benefit to me from having made that modification.
Sponsored