Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
What properties in Torque are you looking at? I'm using Forscan, but I have to assume it's the same properties between the two.
SoC % charge is the most useful one. To get others I had to add them manually in Torque but they are all there in Forscan under the BCM. I just don't want a laptop screen while I'm driving.
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
SoC % charge is the most useful one. To get others I had to add them manually in Torque but they are all there in Forscan under the BCM. I just don't want a laptop screen while I'm driving.
Yeah, I was using the forscan app for Android :)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Oh that reminds me. I bet there is variability in all our sensors so I'm curious what floor yours locks into on the freeway. Mine locks in at 42.75% and won't deplete the battery further when I'm on the freeway in cruise control. In non-cruise my foot isn't perfect so it hovers around 42.75% but in cruise it is very skilled. What is your trucks favorite %?
Interstate cruising isn't part of my driving right now but the next time it is, I'll be sure to update.

I'm fixing to trade this truck in for another Powerboost. I'm REALLY interested to compare the many many parameters that I have intimate experience with at this point. I too get the feeling that if you had 10 of these trucks you'd be surprised at the variables between the one or two outliers. Or put another way, I think they get past QC with a range outside the range that I'd feel is acceptable.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, I was using the forscan app for Android :)
WHAT?? OMG I never even thought to look for one haha. If it has all the PIDs that the desktop one does then that will be cool.

Is it USB only or can it pick up ODB bluetooth bridges?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Interstate cruising isn't part of my driving right now but the next time it is, I'll be sure to update.

I'm fixing to trade this truck in for another Powerboost. I'm REALLY interested to compare the many many parameters that I have intimate experience with at this point. I too get the feeling that if you had 10 of these trucks you'd be surprised at the variables between the one or two outliers. Or put another way, I think they get past QC with a range outside the range that I'd feel is acceptable.
Yep! I'm in the game myself and I know all about efficiency specs. When we do it in semiconductors you have to put tons of asterisks to indicate it is typical (cherry picked median) parts, typical (specified) temperatures, nominal voltages, etc. I also am curious on the 2022 rating being 23/23/23 rather than the '21 being 24/24/24. They didn't even change anything (public) that would cause a change. So did they cherry pick a group of '21s when they did the testing and did not have such luck with the '22s?

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
WHAT?? OMG I never even thought to look for one haha. If it has all the PIDs that the desktop one does then that will be cool.

Is it USB only or can it pick up ODB bluetooth bridges?
I connect to my BT odb dongle (can't recall the name, but the BT version of the one everyone uses)

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Went for my first real "drive" (that was not to the grocery store or back to the dealer)... It was only 10 miles, but it was nice to just drive the truck. Had it for almost a month and haven't really had a lot of good opportunities to drive it.

I don't expect this type of mileage consistently. It was mostly 45mph roads with a couple of roundabouts and only 1 light.

1650035118396.png

One thing I noticed and I was unable to get a good video of it, was at times the real time MPG screen, the mileage would bounce.. a lot. It would go between the low 20s and as high as the low 30s. It would change about 1-2 times a second. Up and down, repeat.

Just seemed odd as most cars I've been in, the changes are more gradual. I can try and get a video later of it if I got for another drive.
That would be the truck trying to balance charging load and driving load. Pretty neat to watch! Basically as you give up some driving load (or wind shifts, road changes, etc) it counters with additional charge load. This can lead to bouncing occasionally as it tries to find the groove.

The instant mpg in this truck will behave very differently than an all gas truck

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Out of curiosity how many are seeing the "real time" mpg above 25 with any throttle (even slight) as soon as I touch the gas pedal it drops below that number. No matter the speed or terrain, city or highway (even going downhill I've tried it).

The rule of averages should have times where it should be above that

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Out of curiosity how many are seeing the "real time" mpg above 25 with any throttle (even slight) as soon as I touch the gas pedal it drops below that number. No matter the speed or terrain, city or highway (even going downhill I've tried it).

The rule of averages should have times where it should be above that
I usually see 25, my truck seems to target that. If it could go above (light on throttle), it charges harder. If you are going to drop below it and it has juice, it’ll add power from the electric motor. If you can cruise at 50-55 flat for a while, you’ll see it charge high enough that it’ll release the 25mpg “hold” it has and let you go above.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
^ cool post. Makes sense and reveals how much more complex the algorithm can be than what someone like myself assumes.

However, for whatever reason I am seeing 40%-60%, not 40%-70%
I would love to coax an EV event that lasted for the entire 70% down to 45% drain time.
That would definitely increase my EV mileage percentage considerably!
It'll stop engine charging around 55%, you need to have regen breaking to get higher. You need a long hill for braking or a perfectly timed shorter hill that comes up right as the battery would be fully charged. It'll stop regen charging just over 70%, like 71-72%

I can get 25+ mpg on the instantaneous with throttle input, though it needs to be level or downhill to do so anytime I'm at a speed I watch the instantaneous screen.

Sponsored

PFD664

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Crew 502a Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Just completed my first long distance 600+ mile trip to Jacksonville, FL and back on one tank of fuel round trip w 69 miles to empty arriving at the Shell station by the house. Truck shows 22.7 mpg, hand calculated shows 23.7 mpg.
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? AC21AA2E-400E-48E2-8ADE-579D6A41AC6E
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 491790AE-0275-4A5C-85F2-98D9B54AD011

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I have FDRS license if you want me to look it up. Private if preferred. I can send you a screenshot of updates your truck has queued up in the broken OTA system.
Thanks, I am taking it in next week and will see what they say this time. If they aren't helpful again may take you up on it

Also now when first started, if I park facing downhill or stop and get out it has now developed a metallic rubbing sound from either the transmission or electric motor. Not the pump sound, that's there as well but something else.

Last edited:

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Figured I'd update on my truck. The day before it went in to the dealer I started getting 21.9 MPG and now I am getting 18.5 on a bad day. For no apparent reason on a brisk 30 degree day the truck jumped 4-6 mpg and has basically been staying in the 18.5-22 mpg range for the last week.

No more clunking has occurred either.

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
I have just under 300 miles, always in normal Mode and Have no idea what gas is in it. Its been hanging between 16.4 and 17.4. Just added a bed cover 50 miles ago and i do have about 50 miles with a wire mesh landscape trailer to pickup a lawn mower.

Per trip, I've seen as high as 21.2, and as low as 14.1
Sponsored