Finally got second gear issue fixed

HANCOCK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost
My truck was having issues with shifting into gears (Shifting Rough Felt like it was slipping) .Which I was asking how to clear my transmission tables . On a different thread anyway ford Motor company on this forum He said to send him the Vin number and he would check it on his end. So He signed me a case number. Went to the dealer .. I had no problems whatsoever with the dealer they had a loaner car to !
the outcome was Main control valve body . Just got it back today Can't believe it but the truck is shifting Like a Cadillac Very smooth. I'll see how it goes in a couple days if it stays like this Hopefully. They did it OTA Software update 4.2.4 also . Update all the modules also they said .. have to check that . Thumbs up Ford motor company!!!
Question Since Ford fix the main control body you think the transmission it's going to last as long ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Platinum BAP 4x4 5.3L Iconic Silver
Wow, I have a 23 Platinum and 3rd gear is terrible! Have less than 3k miles. I mentioned to the dealer when I bought it, they said they did a software update and sent me on my way. It has not imroved at all, unfortunately. Most of the gears are smooth. Very often though, especially when slowing down, when it shifts from 4 to 3 or skips 4 even and goes to 3, sounds and feels so rough. It makes me cringe!

OP
OP
HANCOCK

HANCOCK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost
That was one of the big concerns I had 3to4 or 4to3 hard shifting slipping or jerking.
1st and 2nd hard shifting . When they did the valve bodyAnd the software update. At this moment I do not have that problem No longer

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Platinum BAP 4x4 5.3L Iconic Silver
When you say main valve body, can you tell me more about that please? Thanks very much for posting this, hope I can find some closure to my issues like you did.

OP
OP
HANCOCK

HANCOCK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost
Technician drove the truck he Acknowledge the concern no codes came up . performed symptom diagnosis in WSM which led to main control concern . removed main control to disassemble and inspect . found valves sticking causing concern . overhauled valve body as per WSM
parts 7a100 /7g383/7g391/7z369

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
HANCOCK

HANCOCK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost
I'm not sure snake. but i put those numbers in and this is what I got from google. If I'm looking at it right some of the numbers don't match up with the year . Wherever they did replace it's like night and day

Ford F-150 Finally got second gear issue fixed IMG_7649.JPG

Ford F-150 Finally got second gear issue fixed IMG_7647.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
HANCOCK

HANCOCK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost
Update on my transmission .About a month went by Since the Ford dealer fixed it .they Change out the valve body and shift solenoids . It's starting Shifting funny again . When transmission is cold it feels like it's looking for a gear 1st to 3rd to 4th. but when drive for a while and to operating temperature it shifting totally fine .
Drive me crazy !!! What could that be ? Low fluid!! But if so why didn't start in the beginning.
What do you guys think? thank you for any input

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Update on my transmission .About a month went by Since the Ford dealer fixed it .they Change out the valve body and shift solenoids . It's starting Shifting funny again . When transmission is cold it feels like it's looking for a gear 1st to 3rd to 4th. but when drive for a while and to operating temperature it shifting totally fine .
Drive me crazy !!! What could that be ? Low fluid!! But if so why didn't start in the beginning.
What do you guys think? thank you for any input
It was likely smooth following the service visit because they reset the adaptive tables, not because they replaced the part. Now after a month of driving, your transmission is relearning its own bad behaviors and reverting to harsh shifting. Unfortunately, this seems to be a fairly common phenomenon with Ford's 10R80s in these trucks. A lot of the Forscan gurus on here will reset their adaptive tables periodically when shifting gets rough. I wish there was a better answer, but its a hallmark of this transmission.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The one thing that's definitely temperature related is that the internal transmission fluid thermostat is closed until a certain temperature is reached.
I don't know exactly what impact the closed thermostat has on fluid flow, but surely the transmission is designed to operate/shift properly with the thermostat closed, as well as open.

But I assume that the fluid level available to the pump very well could change, perhaps considerably, between an open thermostat and a closed one?

If you drop the pan on a 10r80 transmission that is below the temperature that opens the thermostat, you only lose about 50% of the transmission fluid. If you were to remove the thermostat, which I believe requires removing the valve body to get to, you then can drain considerably more fluid. And to completely flush the transmission of old fluid and replace with new fluid, the 10r80 requires a machine that can heat the fluid up to get the thermostat open, and then extract all ~13-14 quarts and fill with new. At least that's how I understand it.

I would definitely confirm that your transmission has the correct HOT level. According to Ford that is the ONLY way to know the transmission has the correct amount of fluid whether the thermostat is open or closed. Cold or Hot.

The procedure calls for the transmission to be at or above 205F.
Parked on level ground. And checked with engine running. You need a burn protection glove on because the dipstick is adjacent to the hot exhaust shield.
I think you have to rule out fluid level first. Especially since it's been worked on, in my opinion.

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
The one thing that's definitely temperature related is that the internal transmission fluid thermostat is closed until a certain temperature is reached.
I don't know exactly what impact the closed thermostat has on fluid flow, but surely the transmission is designed to operate/shift properly with the thermostat closed, as well as open.

But I assume that the fluid level available to the pump very well could change, perhaps considerably, between an open thermostat and a closed one?

If you drop the pan on a 10r80 transmission that is below the temperature that opens the thermostat, you only lose about 50% of the transmission fluid. If you were to remove the thermostat, which I believe requires removing the valve body to get to, you then can drain considerably more fluid. And to completely flush the transmission of old fluid and replace with new fluid, the 10r80 requires a machine that can heat the fluid up to get the thermostat open, and then extract all ~13-14 quarts and fill with new. At least that's how I understand it.

I would definitely confirm that your transmission has the correct HOT level. According to Ford that is the ONLY way to know the transmission has the correct amount of fluid whether the thermostat is open or closed. Cold or Hot.

Parked on level ground. And checked with engine running. You need a burn protection glove on because the dipstick is adjacent to the hot exhaust shield.
I think you have to rule out fluid level first. Especially since it's been worked on, in my opinion.
Really good info. So does the 10R80 generally run hotter than the 6r80? My Mustang with the 6R80 only hits 180.

Fwiw, my 2022 also has a really sluggish and jerky first shift in cold weather. Usually shifts from 1st to 3rd, exacerbating the issue. I noticed that I accelerate to a little faster than I want to on my street, the shift is much better coordinated. Tbh, doesnt seem that out of the ordinary to me being as the trans is cold and trying to figure out why I'm basically idling out of my neighborhood.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't have the factory service manual for the 6R80, but both the Gen1 3.5 Ecoboost (2011-2016) and the 6R80 were mated, and Ford had that motor running engine coolant temps in the 180-190's.

With the Gen2 3.5 Ecoboost (2017-2020) Ford mated the 10r80 and raised the normal engine coolant temps to 206-216F.

Interestingly the Gen14 got a revised 3.5 Ecoboost, enough so that the motor guys call it Gen3, and Ford backed the engine coolant temps to the Gen1 operating range. (180's-190s). Wasn't expected, with the typical relentless pursuit for reduced hydrocarbons, but they did add an EGR, so perhaps that afforded the move? I certainly welcome it. Adds some headroom for towing. :)

OP
OP
HANCOCK

HANCOCK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost

Bruce I'm following your advice I check the transmission fluid today

My truck is a F150 2022 lariat with max tow the trans Dipstick says 3 do you know if that is right mark
trans was 205F on Level ground with truck running
Use my wife's potholder on the cat so i did not get burn
What do you think about the color of the transmission fluid I figured it should be more red

Ford F-150 Finally got second gear issue fixed IMG_7728.JPG

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On the Powerboost 10r80 MHT, the service manual states:

Ford F-150 Finally got second gear issue fixed Screenshot_20230303_085833_OneDrive

So I think you are good.
Looks normal color to me, but I'm no expert. As long as it doesn't smell burnt and lost its clarity, I would think it's fine?

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Having never seen that trans dipstick before, I find the numbering very counter intuitive that a lower number represents a higher fluid level. Isn't that kind of ass backwards? 🤔
Sponsored