Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4
First truck, still waiting for its build, and I've been shopping for tonneau covers while I eagerly wait but I'm finding there to be a lot of options. I'd like to get a take from some who have experience. There's 3 covers on my short list but I'd really like to get thoughts from anyone who's had these styles or products on their truck. Anything to keep in mind before settling on one? Are there other cover styles or manufacturers to consider for a shortlist? Also, I have some questions regarding each, are there viewpoints on them anyone would like to share?

Leaning towards:
  • Retractable - Retraxpro Electric Or Manual. Do these jam up with dirt/debris/ice/snow? Problems with the electric motor? Does hooking up the electric version potentially void warranty given they run off the battery? See any issues with the combo of an electric cover with a Powerboost HEV/electrical system?
  • Hard Trifold - BAKFlip MX4. Security seems like it would be questionable given you could easily shim a hooked wire between the tailgate and cover to release the latch mechanism. Same goes for the Revolver X4, is that that true?
  • Hard Rolling - BAKFlip Revolver X4. From pictures I feel like this doesn't look as finished/high quality as hard trifold or retractable. Agree/disagree
Btw, I've recently joined the forum and really enjoying and appreciating everyone's inputs so far. Thanks!
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I’m looking at Peragon retractable
I guess none of them are completely water tight,
The Peragon is supposed to be available in colors, but not currently at this time.
They told me March
It is easily removable to use the whole bed. (Supposedly)
I plan on getting one as soon as colors are available

Might look into these

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
I’ve had the Retrax Pro manual retractable cover on my truck since 2013. Never jammed, never broke. Very happy with it!

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve had the Retrax Pro manual retractable cover on my truck since 2013. Never jammed, never broke. Very happy with it!
How water tight are these? For the money they ask for them they should be perfect, but nothing ever is. Thanks for your help.

G_Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost
Interested in a cover that will allow for Thule or Rhino Rack bars....was leaning towards RetraxPro XR but wondering if that Paragon leaves room for T-slot rails (would likely have to drill them in). Like that it can be removed, but looks like you still have the mount rails coming into the bed along the sides.

Sponsored

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Hullguy Any problems putting it together or fairly straight forward install? I've read a few guys who had trouble lining up both rails exactly parallel to get the thing to slide smoothly.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
First truck, still waiting for its build, and I've been shopping for tonneau covers while I eagerly wait but I'm finding there to be a lot of options. I'd like to get a take from some who have experience. There's 3 covers on my short list but I'd really like to get thoughts from anyone who's had these styles or products on their truck. Anything to keep in mind before settling on one? Are there other cover styles or manufacturers to consider for a shortlist? Also, I have some questions regarding each, are there viewpoints on them anyone would like to share?

Leaning towards:
  • Retractable - Retraxpro Electric Or Manual. Do these jam up with dirt/debris/ice/snow? Problems with the electric motor? Does hooking up the electric version potentially void warranty given they run off the battery? See any issues with the combo of an electric cover with a Powerboost HEV/electrical system?
  • Hard Trifold - BAKFlip MX4. Security seems like it would be questionable given you could easily shim a hooked wire between the tailgate and cover to release the latch mechanism. Same goes for the Revolver X4, is that that true?
  • Hard Rolling - BAKFlip Revolver X4. From pictures I feel like this doesn't look as finished/high quality as hard trifold or retractable. Agree/disagree
Btw, I've recently joined the forum and really enjoying and appreciating everyone's inputs so far. Thanks!
Ryan, most likly you will get all kinds of traffic on individual preferences. I decided to say away from anything electrical driven. This is my last truck for many, many years to come. I'm all about reliabilty and don't need to add more electrical devices to a truck fulll of other electrical items. Personally, as of now I'm going with the Hard Triflod BAKFLIP MX4. I had a cover almost identical on my 2016 Platinum. I never left anything of great value in the bed - during my travels, staying in hotels etc... and never had issues. It worked great for me.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
How water tight are these? For the money they ask for them they should be perfect, but nothing ever is. Thanks for your help.
Water gets in on the sides. Retrax tells you up front it’s not water proof. the Amount of water that gets in never bothered me. It’s more a case of wet over flooded like you get with an open bed

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
@Hullguy Any problems putting it together or fairly straight forward install? I've read a few guys who had trouble lining up both rails exactly parallel to get the thing to slide smoothly.
No issues when I installed it. I thought it was pretty straightforward if you follow their instructions

Steve5472

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Expedition Stealth Performance
I've had both the hard tri-fold and soft tri-fold and both have been good. The hard version sits much cleaner and flush and certainly is beefier. The soft version is good if you want to take it on and off as it is much easier to install. Both systems kept the bed dry. I found with the hard system in heavy snow/ice it would sometimes lock up and I would not be able to even access my bed (the tailgate would not open as it ceased up with ice). I have not had that issue with the soft system as there is a bit more play in it and it doesn't seat quite as tight to the bed frame as the hard system.

Sponsored

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I had the retrax pro electric. Never had any problems with until after about 3 years. Then the battery in the remote ran down and had to be replaced. If it starts moving and keeps stopping, it is probably the remote battery. The batteries are around $2.

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
I have the Retrax pro MX manual which I have transfer between a couple trucks now (2017, 2019)and have had no issue with alignment.

In addition even though I didn't install the drain hose I haven't noticed any water and I have a bed rug as well.

However, my truck does get parked inside the majority of the time.

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had the retrax pro electric. Never had any problems with until after about 3 years. Then the battery in the remote ran down and had to be replaced. If it starts moving and keeps stopping, it is probably the remote battery. The batteries are around $2.
Good to know. It looks like you have to hold the remote button down to move the cover. This seems like a battery suck. I feel like a better design would allow for one click to start/stop.

Curious, is there a way to manually operate the cover if the motor/battery dies?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I really like this cover but I can't understand how do you open it if stuff slides under it?
I’ve given some thought to this, and it would not be all that difficult to create a wall of some sort if needed that could easily be removed with the cover open.
I’m also going to pick up a slide in type box just for her when she takes it shopping.
With the cover and the box nothing should get that far out of reach.
The slide out box just lays in the bed and keeps groceries, plants and what not in the back wher you can reach them
Sponsored