F-150 MPG mileage average between the three engines

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I've been reading these mileage reports for all the engines except the 3.5 and the diesel and I'm pretty much convinced if you drive 68-72 MPH on the highway it doesn't matter if you have a 3.3, a 5.0 or a 2.7 you are going get 24 MPG. Do you guys think that's about right?
Sponsored

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Seems about right based on what I have seen. My 5.0 is averaging right in that ballpark for cruising at 65 to 70 mph.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
OK...gotta make the leap, they are motors not engines.

jkash99

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 5.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I drove about 640 miles on the highway with my 5.0L for a road trip and got about 24mpg averaging this speeds. Hoping to do the same on my way back today

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I’m still learning about these different engines and from what I’ve gathered, if I were to go back in time I would’ve chose the 5.0 because the MPG is not that far from the 2.7 and the minimal loss compared to the 3.3 is made up for with being a bigger and better sounding option.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
OK...gotta make the leap, they are motors not engines.
Well, not really. An engine is something that creates power within. Example: Exploding gasoline.
A motor is a device that uses power from somewhere else. Example: Motor on your fan, motor on your furnace, or motor on your water pump at home. If you don't have city water.:)

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
The differentiator seems to be that engines contain their own fuel source to create motion, while a motor draws on an external source. Many would say an engine uses fuel, whereas a motor uses electrical or mechanical energy to create motion. But the words engine and motor have become interchangeable in large part.Apr 21, 2016

Quote from Google...

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
really wish some people would give me their two cents on best guess average MPG of the three engines/motors,
EV's are measured in MPG4e, the equivalent of energy in a gallon of gasoline.

Typically EV's run in the 100+ MPGe range.

You get good explanation on FuelEconomy.gov and each tested EV will have an MPGe rating.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
At highway speeds I believe air resistance of the truck requires "x" horsepower to maintain a given speed regardless of the engine. There's not much difference between the engines to produce "x" horsepower.y understanding is displacement, turbos (or lack thereof), and weight make a much bigger difference in city driving.
My 4x4 5.0 crew cab gets a measured 23 mpg at 60-70 mph and 18 in mixed driving, with 93 octane.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
You're not going to get a definitive answer because there are too many variables that go into fuel economy. Altitude, road, traffic, acceleration, using cruise control, elevation change, wind, tires, fuel grade, vehicle trim/weight, modifications, outside temperature, HVAC settings, etc. all play a part in fuel economy. Not to mention, to get the actual info you want, one would have to fill up, get on the highway immediately, start driving ~70 mph, and keep going until you needed fuel again to calculate it, which is very difficult to do. Your best bet is to look at Fuelly to see what the various engines return on fuel economy. As more and more people add their trucks and fuel up, the variables even out and you get a better idea of the actual fuel economy for a given engine/drivetrain.

OP
OP

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
At highway speeds I believe air resistance of the truck requires "x" horsepower to maintain a given speed regardless of the engine. There's not much difference between the engines to produce "x" horsepower.y understanding is displacement, turbos (or lack thereof), and weight make a much bigger difference in city driving.
My 4x4 5.0 crew cab gets a measured 23 mpg at 60-70 mph and 18 in mixed driving, with 93 octane.
What happens if you run 87 octane?
Sponsored