Sponsored

Three Things I Hope The 2021 Ford F-150 Carries Over From The Previous Generation And Three Things I Don’t Want To See

F150Writer

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor
Occupation
Writer
I made this list. Would love to hear yours.

3 Things I Want To See Carried Over from the 13th Generation F-150 to the 2021 F-150

1.) Aluminum Body – When Ford decided to put an aluminum body on the F-150 it was a bold, high-risk move. While the competition beat them up a little with some silly and absurd tests (one involving dumping gravel from the sky, as if that scenario would ever really be practical). But the truth be told, switching to aluminum was the right move for Ford.

General Motors followed suit by adding “mixed materials” (aka aluminum) to “exterior swing panels” (doors and tail gate). In doing so, GM dropped 450 lbs. in weight from the Silverado.
Ford proved to be the leader in this, and while GM’s aluminum use isn’t an apples to apples comparison to the F-150s, it shows that dropping weight can be done, with little to no negative outcome for the customer.

In fact, in doing so, the 13th-generation, aluminum-based F-150 was Ford’s most fuel-efficient pickup truck. Even with low gas prices, that is incredibly important.

As we know, Ford is also set to launch a hybrid version of the F-150 for the 2021 model year, proving that fuel efficiency is a vital part of the truck’s long-term vision. I for one, don’t mind the lighter truck. I think it drives nicer and feels just a little more agile from the older, heavier trucks. I look forward to further weight reductions and more fuel-efficient technology in the next-generation F-150.

2.) Wide range of trims from basic to King Ranch. One of the biggest criticisms I hear is “who can afford today’s trucks”. And to be honest, there’s merit to that. A King Ranch F-150 can exceed $75,000. Even with aggressive financing, that’s almost a house payment for a pickup truck.

So what I hope Ford continues to do is provide a scope of trims that cover basic truck needs for those who seek the F-150 as a work truck, to those weekend warriors who love luxury in a truck.

Ford would be wise to not only continue having multiple trims and multiple options, but to almost turn ordering the 2021 F-150 into an ala carte type of process. Let the consumer pick and choose what they do and don’t want. Ford has made advances in that with the current generation and hopefully they expand upon that with the next generation.

3.) Underseat storage. One of the best trends in the pickup truck segment is multiple storage capabilities. Every truck has their own little niche of storage capabilities. The current F-150 has tremendous underseat storage options.

Ford’s primary competitors (Toyota, GM and Ram) all have their own iterations of interior storage. It’s clearly important to the American truck-buying consumer. Ford would be wise to not only continue this from the current generation but to take it even further for the 14th-generation.

3 Things I Don’t Want To See Carried Over from the 13th Generation F-150 to the 2021 F-150

1.) Sync 3. I admit that Ford made a huge improvement with the third iteration of their infotainment system. And I do like Sync 3. But it does have some limitations.

I briefly experienced Sync 4 in some prototypes and absolutely fell in love with that interface and it’s user-friendly technology. I first reported that Sync 4 is coming to the Mustang Mach-E and many other vehicles. Ford wouldn’t commit fully that Sync 4 was coming to the F-150, but I’d bet good money it will have Sync 4.

And it will likely integrate with over-the-air updates, which we also know will be a big part of the next generation. That plus a 12-15-inch touchscreen means, big exciting technology for the interior, and that makes me very excited, as I love technology.

2.) Gimmicky tailgate. The current-generation F-150 doesn’t really have a gimmicky tailgate like the GMC Sierra does. But there’s been rumors that the next-generation will have some more advanced tailgate technology.

I’m fine with updating the tailgate and making it even better. I love the tailgate in the Ram 1500 where it can drop down or swing out. To me, that’s intuitive and smart, without being gimmicky. It will be interesting to see what Ford has in mind when it comes to the tailgate of the 2021 F-150.

3.) 3.0-liter diesel engine. I first reported that this engine was on life support with very poor sales.

While I have an appreciation for the technology and see the merit (on paper) for this engine, Ford is not that financially stable to continue manufacturing an engine that is just not widely sought by the consumer.

To me, this is an engine that needs to be dropped from the lineup. From what we’ve learned, it will still stick around for the 2021 model year, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it doesn’t last the duration of the 14th-generation.

Okay, there’s my list, now I want to hear yours. What do you want to see carried over and what do you hope Ford doesn’t carry over for the 2021 F-150? Leave me a comment with your ideas.

https://www.torquenews.com/9539/thr...ydpJG-01e4hV-1jPWqnNOYYn4mVZ7wK9ZKOWMSTG6l22M
Sponsored

jrog540

First Name
rog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Explorer, 1962 Impala 409 SS, 1965 Pontiac GTO Conv.
Occupation
Retired
Ford needs to make a true dual exhaust system an option for lower trim levels. Ram has had it on their trucks for years.

SHO4CY

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Screw FX4 3.5EB
Carried over
1. Sport trim
2. Sync touch screen available on lower trims (ie XLT).
3. Halogen headlight and tail light

Not carried over
1. STX trim
2. Base V6 (Use the 2.3 EB from the Ranger)
3. Keyed ignition on the XLT (Just put a push button start in it already)

I'm going to add one here
Wish list
1. 4A standard on 302A option package on XLT
2. Tailgate step standard on XLT and above
3. Adaptive cruise standard on 302A and above

SHO4CY

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Screw FX4 3.5EB
F150 Tremor package would be sweet too (y)

Sponsored

Striker Hawk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
From a strictly performance standpoint...

Dual exhaust typically features an increased flow area when compared to the single pipe configuration it would replace. The increase in flow area results in a reduction of exhaust backpressure which, in turn, results in better HP/Torque numbers out of the engine, all other things being equal. The same gains can be achieved by routing a larger diameter single pipe exhaust however.

From a strictly marketing standpoint...

A percentage of Ford's customer base would be willing to pay for the upgrade as, perhaps, a dealer installed option, either because of the small performance gain or its tie in to the sportier truck trim levels that their not willing to pay for. Dealer's win by their cut of the option purchase price.

Same logic goes for a true, good quality Cold Air Intake, which Ford could also offer as a dealer installed option, and which benefits greatly from being coupled with a reduced backpressure exhaust, as it's all about maximizing airflow.

Respectfully.

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
I made this list. Would love to hear yours.

3 Things I Want To See Carried Over from the 13th Generation F-150 to the 2021 F-150

1.) Aluminum Body – When Ford decided to put an aluminum body on the F-150 it was a bold, high-risk move. While the competition beat them up a little with some silly and absurd tests (one involving dumping gravel from the sky, as if that scenario would ever really be practical). But the truth be told, switching to aluminum was the right move for Ford.

General Motors followed suit by adding “mixed materials” (aka aluminum) to “exterior swing panels” (doors and tail gate). In doing so, GM dropped 450 lbs. in weight from the Silverado.
Ford proved to be the leader in this, and while GM’s aluminum use isn’t an apples to apples comparison to the F-150s, it shows that dropping weight can be done, with little to no negative outcome for the customer.

In fact, in doing so, the 13th-generation, aluminum-based F-150 was Ford’s most fuel-efficient pickup truck. Even with low gas prices, that is incredibly important.

As we know, Ford is also set to launch a hybrid version of the F-150 for the 2021 model year, proving that fuel efficiency is a vital part of the truck’s long-term vision. I for one, don’t mind the lighter truck. I think it drives nicer and feels just a little more agile from the older, heavier trucks. I look forward to further weight reductions and more fuel-efficient technology in the next-generation F-150.

2.) Wide range of trims from basic to King Ranch. One of the biggest criticisms I hear is “who can afford today’s trucks”. And to be honest, there’s merit to that. A King Ranch F-150 can exceed $75,000. Even with aggressive financing, that’s almost a house payment for a pickup truck.

So what I hope Ford continues to do is provide a scope of trims that cover basic truck needs for those who seek the F-150 as a work truck, to those weekend warriors who love luxury in a truck.

Ford would be wise to not only continue having multiple trims and multiple options, but to almost turn ordering the 2021 F-150 into an ala carte type of process. Let the consumer pick and choose what they do and don’t want. Ford has made advances in that with the current generation and hopefully they expand upon that with the next generation.

3.) Underseat storage. One of the best trends in the pickup truck segment is multiple storage capabilities. Every truck has their own little niche of storage capabilities. The current F-150 has tremendous underseat storage options.

Ford’s primary competitors (Toyota, GM and Ram) all have their own iterations of interior storage. It’s clearly important to the American truck-buying consumer. Ford would be wise to not only continue this from the current generation but to take it even further for the 14th-generation.

3 Things I Don’t Want To See Carried Over from the 13th Generation F-150 to the 2021 F-150

1.) Sync 3. I admit that Ford made a huge improvement with the third iteration of their infotainment system. And I do like Sync 3. But it does have some limitations.

I briefly experienced Sync 4 in some prototypes and absolutely fell in love with that interface and it’s user-friendly technology. I first reported that Sync 4 is coming to the Mustang Mach-E and many other vehicles. Ford wouldn’t commit fully that Sync 4 was coming to the F-150, but I’d bet good money it will have Sync 4.

And it will likely integrate with over-the-air updates, which we also know will be a big part of the next generation. That plus a 12-15-inch touchscreen means, big exciting technology for the interior, and that makes me very excited, as I love technology.

2.) Gimmicky tailgate. The current-generation F-150 doesn’t really have a gimmicky tailgate like the GMC Sierra does. But there’s been rumors that the next-generation will have some more advanced tailgate technology.

I’m fine with updating the tailgate and making it even better. I love the tailgate in the Ram 1500 where it can drop down or swing out. To me, that’s intuitive and smart, without being gimmicky. It will be interesting to see what Ford has in mind when it comes to the tailgate of the 2021 F-150.

3.) 3.0-liter diesel engine. I first reported that this engine was on life support with very poor sales.

While I have an appreciation for the technology and see the merit (on paper) for this engine, Ford is not that financially stable to continue manufacturing an engine that is just not widely sought by the consumer.

To me, this is an engine that needs to be dropped from the lineup. From what we’ve learned, it will still stick around for the 2021 model year, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it doesn’t last the duration of the 14th-generation.

Okay, there’s my list, now I want to hear yours. What do you want to see carried over and what do you hope Ford doesn’t carry over for the 2021 F-150? Leave me a comment with your ideas.

https://www.torquenews.com/9539/thr...ydpJG-01e4hV-1jPWqnNOYYn4mVZ7wK9ZKOWMSTG6l22M
Like you writed, giving us a "à la carte" options choice for every trims level should be very interesting for those who don't want to pay for a Lariat to have by exame led light or push button start or AWD like the lariat and over trims.

Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Occupation
Retired
Ford needs to make a true dual exhaust system an option for lower trim levels. Ram has had it on their trucks for years.
I agree with the dual exhaust

Daniel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Santino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, 2018 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Kid
Carried over
1. Sport trim
2. Sync touch screen available on lower trims (ie XLT).
3. Halogen headlight and tail light

Not carried over
1. STX trim
2. Base V6 (Use the 2.3 EB from the Ranger)
3. Keyed ignition on the XLT (Just put a push button start in it already)

I'm going to add one here
Wish list
1. 4A standard on 302A option package on XLT
2. Tailgate step standard on XLT and above
3. Adaptive cruise standard on 302A and above
No more Sport package????!!!!!!!!? OH NOOO!?

Sponsored