Sponsored

F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I understand your feelings, but the PB is not alone. My wife has a Hyundai Tucson Hybid and it also has a heat changer. The heat changer might help warm the cabin, but the real reason is for emissions, IMHO.
IMG_0830.jpeg

Note the heat exchanger is all metal.
I’m trying to notice the heat exchanger but I can’t get passed how clean and tidy everything is! Well done sir for showing me the mark. 🫡
Sponsored

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
Based on the number of 2023 PowerBoost specific defects already reported to NHTSA, I won't be surprised if the PowerBoost shows up next year on the least reliable list for a third time in a row.

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/consumer-reports-names-10-least-reliable-cars-for-2024/

Hmmph. Been lucky with my 2022 pb…so far. The Livernois tune is great too, what can go wrong?!:oops:

IMG_9789.jpeg

Interesting compared to this:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...uy-award-for-2024-best-full-size-truck.20872/
It’s funny, I’m coming up on 50,000 miles in 2 years on my 21 King Ranch PB with essentially zero issues. Today I drove 600 miles in about 7.5 hours averaging 23 mpg. I started with the truck totally cold soaked at 15 degF windshield completely iced over. Within 10 miles the seat and steering wheel plus cabin were warm, windshield clean. Used the seat massage a few times, ended the trip with seat cooling and A/C on. Been back to dealer once, change my own oil every 3-5000 miles with Mobil 1. No engine tunes, completely Stock, it’s not a race car. I never start the car with my phone, just the fob, and I do an overnight charge with my CTEK every now and then.
Now maybe I’ll have issues down the road, I do not know. But my trucks never have serious issues. I believe that Ford GM Dodge Toyota they are all extremely reliable. As for CR, I’ve never considered them a serious automotive source for anything.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
LOL all the PB naysayers, eager to shoot themselves in the foot should probably do a little more research. The majority of CR complaints about the PowerBoost are not even PB related.

Here I have highlighted what Edmunds reports CRs biggest complaints were and most of them are general for the F150, in general... not the PB specifically. Even the term "Drive System" is used, but does not state, engine, tranny, rearend, turbos, etc. Very very vague.

Even Edmunds main complaint about their test and research PowerBoost was it didnt live up to 24mpg and an APIM replacement needed... Still not PB related at all...

Is the Ford F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid the Least Reliable Vehicle You Can Buy? | Edmunds

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702257795353

I also looked at some of the actual ratings on the CR website for the 2022 Powerboost. Its false reporting like this that hurts the overall score...
5 out of 10 on Smog and Greenhouse??? Really?

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702255165663

And then all of the other BS that has literally NOTHING to do with Powerboost... Here are just a few examples of many, many....

Each of the following were given 1 out of 5 or 2 out of 5 ratings and MOST were 1 out of 5. Dudes Appleplay wont work so "PowerBoost" takes the hit?

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702255752338

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702255723174

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702255854192

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702255914217

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702255993551

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702256102179

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702256302369

Last edited:

elaudermilk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost Hybrid Lariat
I love my PB, but it's been at the dealership for 3 weeks now waiting on the transmission fluid aux pump motor to get repaired... Very annoying. Here's hoping it is the only issue I'll have with it.

Sponsored

DANJENS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford e350, Ford Fusion
LOL all the PB naysayers, eager to shoot themselves in the foot should probably do a little more research. The majority of CR complaints about the PowerBoost are not even PB related.

Here I have highlighted what Edmunds reports CRs biggest complaints were and most of them are general for the F150, in general... not the PB specifically. Even the term "Drive System" is used, but does not state, engine, tranny, rearend, turbos, etc. Very very vague.

Even Edmunds main complaint about their test and research PowerBoost was it didnt live up to 24mpg and an APIM replacement needed... Still not PB related at all...

Is the Ford F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid the Least Reliable Vehicle You Can Buy? | Edmunds

1702257795353.png

I also looked at some of the actual ratings on the CR website for the 2022 Powerboost. Its false reporting like this that hurts the overall score...
5 of 10 on Smog and Greenhouse??? Really?
1702255165663.png

And then all of the other BS that has literally NOTHING to do with Powerboost... Here are just a few examples of many, many....

Each of the following were given 1/5 or 2.5 ratings and MOST were 1/5. Dudes Appleplay wont work so "PowerBoost" takes the hit?

1702255752338.png

1702255723174.png

1702255854192.png

1702255914217.png

1702255993551.png

1702256102179.png

1702256302369.png
Thanks for the detailed report. I don't have access to consumer reports cause I stopped paying them years ago after a series of sub par appliance purchases based on their top recommendations. I don't trust them at all. Is my experience with them anecdotal? yes!

That said Edmunds reporting their own experience with one truck is simply anecdotal (which they admit). Just like my personal experience with the transmission becoming "clunky" when transitioning to and from electric is anecdotal. But if Consumer reports asked me I would give the transmission a 2 of 5 because it matters to me and it is mated to the hybrid and only occurs when the engine comes on as part of the hybrid system.

A hybrid specific exhaust coolant valve problem which I also had would matter to me, even though it was drivable. I still had to get it repaired (and be without my truck).

I also would have told them (CR) about the replacement throttle body I had to wait for and power loss problems with that. You could say that it is not a power boost issue but does it function and cycle exactly the same way in a powerboost as an ecoboost with the engine cycling on and off? The coolant system is different as are many of the pumps and heaters and while the transmission may be identical it cycle very differently with the porweboost apparatus attached.

I think while many of the complaints listed above in your report weren't powerboost specific when you add the powerboost problems to the normal ecoboost problems is that enough to tip the scales?

I admit I don't have the data, but adding general f150 system problems with powerboost specific problems will always make the powerboost have a higher percent of problems.

Am I disappointed in the number of service trips I have had to make on a vehicle that cost me 70,000 dollars. YESSS! Bought several new vehicles over the years all for much less than that and I never had to take them in for repairs 4 time in the first 25,000 miles. Once again I know that is anecdotal and maybe I drew a bad lot. Would I trade my poweboost in for something else. No. after all the usual problems I keep relying on my waranty. As it gets close to ending I will get rid of it and probably for another of the same. Powerboost tech is going to get better. Still the best truck I have ever owned.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for the detailed report. I don't have access to consumer reports cause I stopped paying them years ago after a series of sub par appliance purchases based on their top recommendations. I don't trust them at all. Is my experience with them anecdotal? yes!

That said Edmunds reporting their own experience with one truck is simply anecdotal (which they admit). Just like my personal experience with the transmission becoming "clunky" when transitioning to and from electric is anecdotal. But if Consumer reports asked me I would give the transmission a 2 of 5 because it matters to me and it is mated to the hybrid and only occurs when the engine comes on as part of the hybrid system.

A hybrid specific exhaust coolant valve problem which I also had would matter to me, even though it was drivable. I still had to get it repaired (and be without my truck).

I also would have told them (CR) about the replacement throttle body I had to wait for and power loss problems with that. You could say that it is not a power boost issue but does it function and cycle exactly the same way in a powerboost as an ecoboost with the engine cycling on and off? The coolant system is different as are many of the pumps and heaters and while the transmission may be identical it cycle very differently with the porweboost apparatus attached.

I think while many of the complaints listed above in your report weren't powerboost specific when you add the powerboost problems to the normal ecoboost problems is that enough to tip the scales?

I admit I don't have the data, but adding general f150 system problems with powerboost specific problems will always make the powerboost have a higher percent of problems.

Am I disappointed in the number of service trips I have had to make on a vehicle that cost me 70,000 dollars. YESSS! Bought several new vehicles over the years all for much less than that and I never had to take them in for repairs 4 time in the first 25,000 miles. Once again I know that is anecdotal and maybe I drew a bad lot. Would I trade my poweboost in for something else. No. after all the usual problems I keep relying on my waranty. As it gets close to ending I will get rid of it and probably for another of the same. Powerboost tech is going to get better. Still the best truck I have ever owned.
I cant specify, which repair is associated to what with your history. The Tranny problem seems to be a pretty common thing among many. (Cant recall if its only PB related or not.) But they are definitely problematic, based on multiple posts Ive seen.
And I totally agree that you, me, Edmunds etc are only experiencing our ONE PB truck. So are you the one-off, with problems? Or am I the one-off with NO problems? I can only speak to my experience.
All I was trying to state was CR has the PB rated as third worst, when, multiple, multiple complaints have nothing to do with the actual PowerBoost\Battery mechanics. Which coincides with your statement of CR having false reports on products.
I also upgraded my entire kitchen from white to stainless steel a few years ago and went with CR (and other publications) of a Whirlpool stove\dual oven. Thing died on us within 6 months. The replacement had a dead upper element in BOTH upper and lower ovens. We are now on our third oven and it takes about 40 mins to heat the lower to 400*. The kicker is that all my white appliances still worked perfect after owning them for 18yrs. Wife just wanted Stainless...
Only reason I subscribe to them is I own a business and we have reading material in the lunchrooms and I need as many tax writeoffs as possible. I will see if I can print the page out on PDF and send to you.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
2021 PB XLT 302A 4x4 Sport. Couple Minor issues: Front air dam replaced due to getting caught while retracting in cold weather (rubber & plastic slightly mis-shaped).
Drivers seat shifting & clunking going over slow bumps (E.g. driveway curb). Dealer applied a TSB from a previous model year using a cut rubber tubing and clamps on the ends of the rail to limit the seat shift. Seemed chintzy but its fixed.

The rest were all recalls. The only outstanding are 22S12/22V142 wiper motor, but was informed by dealer that Ford is now inspecting and no action necessary if PN/SN fall out of a specific range. Basically, if it fails they will replace with updated part - IF they have one on hand. Otherwise, they will install an 'old' part and replace that when a 'new' part arrives.
And 23S35/23V509 wire harness chafe to rear axle. This posted just after having the truck in the shop to take care of the aforementioned warranty & recall issues.

I am still very pleased with the truck, especially now that my OTA updates are flowing regularly. They were pretty much silent for almost 2 years.

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Only reason I subscribe to them is I own a business and we have reading material in the lunchrooms and I need as many tax writeoffs as possible. I will see if I can print the page out on PDF and send to you.
Dang! Look at you dropping the grown man card on us! 😊

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dang! Look at you dropping the grown man card on us! 😊
LOL, can I go back to being a kid? Please? One in college already and our daughter grads high school in June and I am NO WHERE close to ready... :(

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Look at the Owner Satisfaction Reviews. Out of 4 areas, look what got knocked the worst....

Ford F-150 F-150 hybrid (powerboost) gets named 3rd lowest in reliability score for 2024 in kbb article 1702317798383

Morg92123

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Tire Industry Consultant
My 2021 KR PB has been trouble free after the transmission fluid aux pump was replaced. Granted I only have 11k miles on the truck, but so far so good. The four week stay at the dealer was a bigger factor to me.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My 2021 KR PB has been trouble free after the transmission fluid aux pump was replaced. Granted I only have 11k miles on the truck, but so far so good. The four week stay at the dealer was a bigger factor to me.
'21 with 11k miles???? Wanna trade? :)

Spudnutz

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Powerboost XLT, 99 Ford F250 Powerstroke
Occupation
Self-Employed
2021 Powerboost, 41K - NO issues other than some electronic glitches that always seem to fix themselves. Knock on wood but its a great truck.
Sponsored

Last edited: