• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EV Charging Network Will Target Interstates Before Expanding Into Remote Rural and Crowded Urban Areas

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Unless there isn't a plug available now, but there will be in 20 minutes when another EV is finished charging. The valet driver can move cars around as needed, so you won't necessarily get to charge right away. RFID card fixes that potential problem.
That’s correct.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Your persistence is adorable. But, at least whenever I use public Charge Point locations, I open the app and use it to initiate the charger—and I do this several minutes, aka a few traffic lights, before arriving there. When I get there all I do is open the vehicle’s charge flap and plug in, there’s nothing else I have to do on either the EVSE or my phone. Same thing would apply for the valet setup, I guess I’d have to communicate to the valet exactly which EVSE is booked when I hand them the car keys. Doable.
That's awesome. And I guess it works most of the times. Except for 3 situations.
  1. 2 headed ChargePoint and 2 of you pull in around the same time. Who pays for which charge.
  2. At my office, the ChargePoint isn't visible to anyone, so there is no way to do what you suggest.
  3. Not far from my house, there is AAA office with a pair of ChargePoints. They stopped paying network fees. So the only way to get it started is by using your phone or RFID card.
Add to that that the whole idea of charging station valet is kind of stupid. Seriously doubt anyone would employ valets for that, unless they already have valets for other reasons.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Letter carrier
That's awesome. And I guess it works most of the times. Except for 3 situations.
  1. 2 headed ChargePoint and 2 of you pull in around the same time. Who pays for which charge.
  2. At my office, the ChargePoint isn't visible to anyone, so there is no way to do what you suggest.
  3. Not far from my house, there is AAA office with a pair of ChargePoints. They stopped paying network fees. So the only way to get it started is by using your phone or RFID card.
Add to that that the whole idea of charging station valet is kind of stupid. Seriously doubt anyone would employ valets for that, unless they already have valets for other reasons.
We all understand by now that you don’t like the valet thingy. I think it’s silly too, but that doesn’t mean it can’t work. Your three examples are poorly chosen since they represent completely different scenarios from what was originally presented by TheVirtualTim in post#129: a garage for condo owners that already has valet service available. Your examples therefore do nothing to refute the validity of this originally presented charging valet scenario. Move on!

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E (1st Edition), '09 Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
IT Architect
I don't think valets work for free, so that's added cost. Also you have to hand the valet your key AND your phone, so that they can activate charging.
ChargePoint will send you an RFID card if you request it ... so they can start charging with that.

You can technically valet without a key fob. In Sync 4 you can put the car into "valet mode" and it will generate a random 8 digit code... the first 5 digits of the code unlock the door ... all 8 digits start the car. But that's a hassle for a valet that doesn't know how to use it. I have a spare key-fob that I hand them.

This condo building already had a valet service ... before they had EV charging. But putting the EV charging in the valet area makes it available to everyone.

When I was at the condo I walked back with my phone and activated the charge myself.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
with Chargepoint, you don't actually have to have an account, or a card, you use the 'guest' feature and simply skip the signin and all that - you do have to input your card info each time, but, if you have it all memorized like I do...no biggy.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Architect
What I think 'should' happen is this: just like with the Lightning, EV manufacturers should be supplying the 240v EVSE option with EVERY vehicle - this would then allow the property owners to only need to supply the outlet, NOT the EVSE equipment. Property owners don't want the upkeep or maintenance on equipment, but a much simpler 240v outlet install would suffice for all of us.
It depends on if they are giving away the power ... or want to be compensated.

This is where networks such as ChargePoint come in ... they sell the equipment (the landlord can own it) but they handle the billing for you. As each person activates the charger, that person pays for their own session -- not the landlord. The landlord can set the rates. They can even offer variable rates. e.g. residents pay one rate ... but guests/visitors pay a different rate.

If they install outlets only and you supply your own charger (such as the mobile charger) then they don't have a way to determine who used it ... if they want to be compensated for the power.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Architect
I don't know about "most", but MME does not. Have to assume Lightning won't either.
Some EVSE's are lock-able. The J1772 plug has a hook that clips it to the charge port and a button/lever that you squeeze to un-hook it. They put a hole through the side of the button/lever so that when it is locked, you can't remove it.

Of course the part you lock is made out of plastic so ... if someone *really* wants it, it wouldn't be too hard to cut the lock free.

I don't believe the Ford Mobile Charger is "lock-able".

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Looking at I-75 from Detroit all the way down to Florida, the area that shows the least number of high speed DC charging stations are pretty much from Detroit to Cincinnati. There appears to be a new one going in on the South side of the Toledo area, but still a small number through most of the state of Ohio.
Capitalism will take over when profitable. Have y’all not seen some the charging stations out west? Tesla has some with 36 chargers. Various convenienc/farm store/gas stations will be glad to expand add chargers. All so you can pee ?, buy coffee ☕, buy food ?.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Buc cee's is about to start hosting Tesla Superchargers. I don't know if they will subsidize them or not, but you know that when the big boys catch on it will be like gas stations. They sell the gas to get you in the door. Chargers will some day be on most every corner, no need for the govt to get involved here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Buc cee's is about to start hosting Tesla Superchargers. I don't know if they will subsidize them or not, but you know that when the big boys catch on it will be like gas stations. They sell the gas to get you in the door. Chargers will some day be on most every corner, no need for the govt to get involved here.
Do you know why the Electrify America charging network exists? Private business wanting to make money? Opportunists that saw the future? Nope.

$2B had to be invested by Volkswagen, as part of the settlement with the government for Dieselgate.

Without the $7.5B in the current government legislation, and more down the road, DC fast charging networks will lag behind the need, and dramatically slow the move into EVs.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Do you know why the Electrify America charging network exists? Private business wanting to make money? Opportunists that saw the future? Nope.

$2B had to be invested by Volkswagen, as part of the settlement with the government for Dieselgate.

Without the $7.5B in the current government legislation, and more down the road, DC fast charging networks will lag behind the need, and dramatically slow the move into EVs.
I know why they exist. I know of the VW scandal. I know of Tesla, I know of the Superchargers. I know they are the pretty much the sole reason of EV success, just no one else wants to make an investment, so we rely on the govt. Pity.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Let's all chip in to start a DCFC network!

Reactions: GDN

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
This is too true. I'm not sure the cost of gas at our trips to Buccees has ever been more than 50% of what we've spent there... food, books, clothes, gifts, decor, gigantic smokers, etc. adds up!

Reactions: GDN

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Letter carrier
Let's all chip in to start a DCFC network!
We already are, through taxation. Charging network is valuable infrastructure, and therefore government involvement in the early stages is completely appropriate. Kinda like nobody has a problem with government funding for roads even though private alternatives (toll roads) exist. It’s all good!
Sponsored