First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
Today was my first (wash) after installing the Ethos graphene on my wife’s truck.
I originally bought this stuff with intentions on doing my first ever “ceramic” style coating on my MME.
After plenty of research and lots of quotes for professional ceramic coating installation for the MME, I landed on DIY.
There is so many options of ceramic coating out there and I’m sure that there’s a lot of great ones. I went all in on the graphene.
Supposedly it’s hardness is greater than most DIY ceramic
I could find. And the angle is supposed to be better for water shed. Lastly, the professionals I seen install graphene mentioned labor wise it was akin to entry level ceramic coating.
Just wanted to make a thread for it since today is my first time washing it since I installed it 2 weeks ago.
I could do a install write up if anyone’s interested, or post more pictures, answer questions.
Just wanted to post a thread for anyone curious or with their own graphene coating experience, that could help me/we with up keep. Anyways, I have a 2016 F150 as well and it has never been coated with anything more than as seen on TV shine armor. And driving this truck and my wife’s around in Alaska winter for 2 weeks, I’m thoroughly impressed enough to vouch for Ethos. Even a sailor like me could do it. So, I know anyone could. Also, since I was rinsing the truck I went ahead and put a layer in the tonneau, wheels, running board and fascia.

Ford F-150 Ethos Graphene coating 345F28ED-AC31-46A2-A273-8A301A82EB4A

Ford F-150 Ethos Graphene coating F3A7A82F-60D3-40C4-A0C1-B86B6CABAF0D

Ford F-150 Ethos Graphene coating 3655413A-5CD6-4D79-9564-F84672F06C15
Sponsored

Last edited:

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
Definitely interested in your thoughts on Ethos graphene. Ease of installation? Gloss? Water beading? Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
MitchAK

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy
Definitely interested in your thoughts on Ethos graphene. Ease of installation? Gloss? Water beading? Thanks for posting!
I’m sorry for taking so long to respond.
The ease of application I give an 9/10
Two coats on my F-150, due to saving bulk of it for intended rig, I give coating ability to meet my desires 9/10

I’ve never performed any ceramic coating before this. Just after all the research I found this to be the best DIY with what I felt was a class leading hardness and water shedding ability.
It’s a whole lot better than any hand wax I’ve done in last and a million times better then the spray detailers that I’ve always loved but never lasted.
It’s almost hard to tell the ability to do it’s job without a reference vehicle anymore but I had held on to my 2016 F150 for a couple months while I got my 2021 and when they were parked next to each other with equal abuse it was so obvious my 21 has a protection coating.

Also, being that I have Oxford White which is not a high end paint job, I feel that this added layers of clear coat essentially and created a glossy look and a higher end finish.

After I use my reserves on the other rig I have the only thing left is to see if I can add layers a couple months down the road. I feel like it’s not probably ideal but if I can I’ll add a couple coats just to use the product and give that extra layer of protection.

I definitely recommend this product!
? ?

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
Thanks for the update!

OP
OP
MitchAK

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy
Thanks for the update!
No doubt my brotha. I still get a bunch of emails from them about discounts to buy their shampoo or soap whatever the upkeep stuff... if you want me to see if I can get a code for you let me know

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I’m sorry for taking so long to respond.
The ease of application I give an 9/10
Two coats on my F-150, due to saving bulk of it for intended rig, I give coating ability to meet my desires 9/10

I’ve never performed any ceramic coating before this. Just after all the research I found this to be the best DIY with what I felt was a class leading hardness and water shedding ability.
It’s a whole lot better than any hand wax I’ve done in last and a million times better then the spray detailers that I’ve always loved but never lasted.
It’s almost hard to tell the ability to do it’s job without a reference vehicle anymore but I had held on to my 2016 F150 for a couple months while I got my 2021 and when they were parked next to each other with equal abuse it was so obvious my 21 has a protection coating.

Also, being that I have Oxford White which is not a high end paint job, I feel that this added layers of clear coat essentially and created a glossy look and a higher end finish.

After I use my reserves on the other rig I have the only thing left is to see if I can add layers a couple months down the road. I feel like it’s not probably ideal but if I can I’ll add a couple coats just to use the product and give that extra layer of protection.

I definitely recommend this product!
? ?
@MitchAK -

Thanks for the great review! 'Love to see DIY'ers getting it done. It sounds like you did your homework and made are seeing the fruits of your labors. Well done!

I purchased my paint- (and leather- and plastic- and glass-) protection products months ago and am among the tens of thousands of F-150 buyers loitering in Limbo (4.5 months and counting ...) I am champing at the bit! 'Can't wait! :D

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
No doubt my brotha. I still get a bunch of emails from them about discounts to buy their shampoo or soap whatever the upkeep stuff... if you want me to see if I can get a code for you let me know

Thanks for the offer. After much debate I ended up ordering Optimum Gloss Coat, same as I've used on my current truck. But definitely keep us updated on your thoughts about Ethos.

OP
OP
MitchAK

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy
@MitchAK -

Thanks for the great review! 'Love to see DIY'ers getting it done. It sounds like you did your homework and made are seeing the fruits of your labors. Well done!

I purchased my paint- (and leather- and plastic- and glass-) protection products months ago and am among the tens of thousands of F-150 buyers loitering in Limbo (4.5 months and counting ...) I am champing at the bit! 'Can't wait! :D
Amen!
haha I had done the same thing research like crazy (almost obsessively) ? and had all the things I needed to make the truck pretty.... just needed a truck.
What model trim did you get and what color paint?

OP
OP
MitchAK

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy
Thanks for the offer. After much debate I ended up ordering Optimum Gloss Coat, same as I've used on my current truck. But definitely keep us updated on your thoughts about Ethos.
As a power plant operator I understand wholly being a creature of habit. Plus if it worked before it’s bound to work again.
I’ve never heard of the optimum gloss I’ll have to look them up. What trim and color truck did you get?

LIVRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, escape
Occupation
Engineer
Hey curious on your experience with installation and any pics/video showing water bead?

Additionally curious of what made you finally feel comfortable with the diy route?

Sponsored

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
As a power plant operator I understand wholly being a creature of habit. Plus if it worked before it’s bound to work again.
I’ve never heard of the optimum gloss I’ll have to look them up. What trim and color truck did you get?
I got (am getting) a Platinum Powerboost in Smoked Quartz. Dealer had it on order and I couldn't find anything in stock so I claimed it! Supposed to be here by 6/12. ?

Optimum Gloss Coat was easy enough to apply and didn't stain the plastic trim. It's still beading over 2 years later. Of course I'm always looking for the newest, best new gadgets for my trucks ?

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Amen!
haha I had done the same thing research like crazy (almost obsessively) ? and had all the things I needed to make the truck pretty.... just needed a truck.
What model trim did you get and what color paint?
I originally intended to buy a Limited in Antimatter Blue but ultimately chose instead to go for a Platinum in Smoked Quartz and the Special Black interior. I can't wait!

OP
OP
MitchAK

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy
Hey curious on your experience with installation and any pics/video showing water bead?

Additionally curious of what made you finally feel comfortable with the diy route?
I have lots of pics of before and after and I have not done any water bead footage but not a bad idea. Even better yet the main reason I bought the graphene coating is to do my Mustang Mach E. Which I finally got and when I get a couple days off I will be applying the coating to her as well.
On that one I can do a better job of documentation and water shedding footage.
Originally I thought, these are such nice vehicles and I really want to do something early on to protect the investment and make my life easier on maintenance.
So, I got quotes and did tons of research on typical ceramic coating and XPEL, 3M film applications.
I figure with a certain level of risk acceptance that I could even get some rock chip protection from enough coats of ceramic or graphene, albeit not as good as film coatings.
The price of the film coatings weren’t too bad and the price of the ceramic coatings was to be honest, pretty wild.
Something like $3k for the full protection plan which is like 3-5 coats of a 9H commercial grade ceramic coating.
The graphene coating is something I was super interested in because the hardness level is higher than ceramic coating. The reviews and instructions on the graphene application was something that gave me confidence and my past practices of auto body class as a kid and tinkering as an adult, led me to decide for the $150 or so I would spend on copious amounts of graphene coating and the preparation kit to DIY that I could handle the job and it sounded fun.
I would say anyone who has confidence in the ability to wax their cars or just has waxed their cars in the past is going to have no problem applying graphene coating.
Like any sealed coating job, the preparation is the most important and tedious part.
With that being said, I have no affiliation to the Ethos company or any car accessories outfit for the matter ? I’m just a dude who enjoys these vehicles and took a risk on DIY graphene and I never been happier.

OP
OP
MitchAK

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy
I got (am getting) a Platinum Powerboost in Smoked Quartz. Dealer had it on order and I couldn't find anything in stock so I claimed it! Supposed to be here by 6/12. ?

Optimum Gloss Coat was easy enough to apply and didn't stain the plastic trim. It's still beading over 2 years later. Of course I'm always looking for the newest, best new gadgets for my trucks ?
Badass. I have to look up the smoked quartz real quick I can’t remember it off the top but it sounds slick.
I lucked out with my XLT sport in a similar way, was thinking about having to order and I would have went Lariat but the dealer in Washington state had this body color bumpers and handles with moon roof and the whole 9 on a 6.5ft bed Powerboost and I jumped on it.
With that said I had two choices of the exact same truck and it was Oxford White or Silver.
I love the way the Oxford turned out with the Graphene cause it really made it pop like the Star Tri or something. And I graphene coated every piece of the exterior of that truck. Nothing but gloss and shine. And of course, time will tell how well it holds up.
On the Optimum Gloss is that something like a ceramic coating?
Im wondering if after applying so many coats if you had left overs or bought more could you just re apply the coat over top to enhance the product?

OP
OP
MitchAK

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy
That Smoked Quartz is beautiful!
The Antimatter is awesome too and reminds me a bit of my Infinite Blue Metallic Mustang Mach E

Ford F-150 Ethos Graphene coating 4352D245-CFEF-4232-AF11-0A6D6F3126C2

Ford F-150 Ethos Graphene coating 41CB34AD-24E3-4985-BADB-5C2A27EE1F1A

Ford F-150 Ethos Graphene coating 08D9BA19-71B2-4B5D-878E-0037458447CE
Sponsored