Sponsored

Debating Ceramic Coating

RandyJ

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 king ranch, 2021 Volkwagen Atlas R-line, 2015 Ford Escape, 2013 Honda civic
Occupation
Business Owner
I have a platinum ordered coming feb/March. Smoked quartz colour.
I’m debating to get the ceramic coating done before it hits the highway. What’s your thoughts?
Sponsored

Bajou

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16MKX '18EDGE '19F-150 (Explorer MarkLT and many F150'S)
Occupation
Financial advisor, business owner
dealers here sells it 3x the price... my auto detailer charges me the product cost + its time, it is way cheaper and i think it's worth it, but i wouldn't pay the full price on this, got many through the years and it's not exceptionnal

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
dealers here sells it 3x the price... my auto detailer charges me the product cost + its time, it is way cheaper and i think it's worth it, but i wouldn't pay the full price on this, got many through the years and it's not exceptionnal
I agree with what Bajou said. It also doesn’t matter if you get it at time of delivery or a while down the road. Either way they should/will do a paint correction on your truck before applying the ceramic. You can buy and apply prosumer grade ceramic that will last 3-5 years as well

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I’m debating to get the ceramic coating done before it hits the highway. What’s your thoughts?
mine will be finished tomorrow. I’ll post pics. Do it early. The guys say the earlier the less corrections they have to make. He was surprised about the amount of correction he had to do on mine. Lots is swirls

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
It won't matter on ceramic coating you can do at anytime its like waxing. The main benefits to doing early is finding paint flaws and having corrected by dealer if needed. And depending on the shape of the paint not having to do much paint correction before applying ceramic coating will save labor cost. Paint protection film is best to do early before getting it on highway to avoid rock chips.

Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I'm in the same boat as the OP. What are your thoughts on the tinted clear coat and all of this? Will it make any difference that this is on tinted clear/tri-coat?

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I'm in the same boat as the OP. What are your thoughts on the tinted clear coat and all of this? Will it make any difference that this is on tinted clear/tri-coat?
It shouldn’t matter. All of these newvehicles come finished with a Clearcoat. Hopefully there won’t be need to do a ‘paint correction’ because there is still a Clearcoat layer on top of the paint. That’s what will likely be ‘leveled’ if there are minor swirls. (Paint correction removes more material, going below the Clearcoat and cutting into the paint itself.)

Like Tireman, I too ordered a Platinum in SQ. I plan to level the Clearcoat of any minor swirls and then apply both a Ceramic Coating and a Topper Coat (2 layers of CQuartz UK 3.0 and 1 layer of Gliss.)

There are several reputable brands and many fine retailers who can do the work but I would shy away from having a dealer do it. I hope this helps.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
It shouldn’t matter. All of these newvehicles come finished with a Clearcoat. Hopefully there won’t be need to do a ‘paint correction’ because there is still a Clearcoat layer on top of the paint. That’s what will likely be ‘leveled’ if there are minor swirls. (Paint correction removes more material, going below the Clearcoat and cutting into the paint itself.)

Like Tireman, I too ordered a Platinum in SQ. I plan to level the Clearcoat of any minor swirls and then apply both a Ceramic Coating and a Topper Coat (2 layers of CQuartz UK 3.0 and 1 layer of Gliss.)

There are several reputable brands and many fine retailers who can do the work but I would shy away from having a dealer do it. I hope this helps.

You’re saying use a detailer? I’m game to do it myself if it’s worth it for the 3/4 year job. I have done gelcoat/glass work and can handle a buff/polishing if that’s the process.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
You’re saying use a detailer? I’m game to do it myself if it’s worth it for the 3/4 year job. I have done gelcoat/glass work and can handle a buff/polishing if that’s the process.
I love that! I plan to do it myself as well!

Having done a bit of gel coat and fiberglass myself, I’d admonish you that buffing Clearcoat and car paint is a much more delicate job. You may want to look into YouTube videos on which products and techniques to use. Well worth the time.

My favorite is a detailer based on Montreal who goes by the name ‘Pan the Organizer’. One of the dozens of videos he put out on Ceramic Coating is the most-viewed video on the topic onYouTube.

Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I love that! I plan to do it myself as well!

Having done a bit of gel coat and fiberglass myself, I’d admonish you that buffing Clearcoat and car paint is a much more delicate job. You may want to look into YouTube videos on which products and techniques to use. Well worth the time.

My favorite is a detailer based on Montreal who goes by the name ‘Pan the Organizer’. One of the dozens of videos he put out on Ceramic Coating is the most-viewed video on the topic onYouTube.

He lost me at buffing and Clay bar.. I know of them but have no experience and I would never attempt it myself.. I'll be looking for a reputable detailer.
Thanks for the video..

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
He lost me at buffing and Clay bar.. I know of them but have no experience and I would never attempt it myself.. I'll be looking for a reputable detailer.
Thanks for the video..
You are a wise man, Sonny.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
You are a wise man, Sonny.
Lol
Not sure about that but on a weekly basis I do hear..
"Oh, we're so sorry..
We've never seen this happen before"
I am the one if something can go wrong, It will.
I say it can be cheaper in the long run to leave things to the professionals..
My paint might get messed up but it won't be me that does it..
Lol

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Thanks for the video..
I tried claying and buffing my car once. Took it to a detailer a few years later and the guy told me that whoever detailed the car last did a terrible job...I leave it to the professionals now too, lol.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I tried claying and buffing my car once. Took it to a detailer a few years later and the guy told me that whoever detailed the car last did a terrible job...I leave it to the professionals now too, lol.
That would be me also.
Sponsored