• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Too many on the forums/reddit took the random YouTuber range estimates as a fact and really attempted to bend reality to fit their hopes and dreams of a 400 mile Truck. Unfortunately, not this generation -- batteries are too expensive for a price point Ford is trying to reach.

The reality is 300 is the best possible scenario for range where it matters (freeway). However, expect less on the freeway, so you don't get disappointed later. EVs are very sensitive so aero factors, so the bigger wheels that many higher trim levels get on EVs end up with lower range. Another example is Ioniq5 which also looses 20 miles in range going from 19 inch to 20 inch wheels
Good points.

I am hoping for
- delivery at some point in 2022,
- range of 200 miles or more for most situations except towing
- get it for $27,500 + couple of options…

will see if stars align for all that to happen
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The price competitive hummer truck (lowest end trim at $80k) is only 250 miles. It also isn't available until 2024. You need to go the next step up ($90k) to get 300+ miles.

The Platinum will also be >$90k. The 300+ mile Hummer is only a few thousand more and has better specs across the board, including 350kW DC charging. Offering under 300 mile range on any premium EV in today's market is a tough sell. Obviously the Hummer pickup isn't a real pickup so you're limited to the F-150 if you want a classic pickup but there will be others in the not too distant future that I would expect to offer much better range. If they put that 200kWh battery in the Silverado it will have 400mi range, maybe more.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Farley just said the Ford Lightning is SOLD OUT........

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
I don't think I would read to much into that statement, considering they have not taken the first order yet for a lightning.

"Are we ahead or behind? This announcement puts us ahead. We already have sold out of our first generation of electric vehicles and we’re dealing with that capacity issue now," Farley said.

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
Yeah, the VW ID4 also has two different EPA ratings based on trim. I assume the extra weight from the fancy options contribute to the declined range.

Best range will be with the base truck with the backseat removed. I believe Mustang and Porsche have offered weight saving options like this….including pull straps instead of door handles.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Yeah, the VW ID4 also has two different EPA ratings based on trim. I assume the extra weight from the fancy options contribute to the declined range.

Best range will be with the base truck with the backseat removed. I believe Mustang and Porsche have offered weight saving options like this….including pull straps instead of door handles.
You could toss the spare tire and the entire bed as well if you're truly looking to save weight.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Why not purchase another battery that could be installed somewhere within the truck to give you 460mile (2x230) rather than $7k for another 60-70 miles? Is this even doable?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Why not purchase another battery that could be installed somewhere within the truck to give you 460mile (2x230) rather than $7k for another 60-70 miles? Is this even doable?
How are you going to connect it? What voltage will it need to be? How much will it cost? Where are you going to put it? How much will it weigh?
Honestly if you need 400 miles of range wait for the max battery from Tesla or Rivian or wait for the next generation of f150

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
How are you going to connect it? What voltage will it need to be? How much will it cost? Where are you going to put it? How much will it weigh?
Honestly if you need 400 miles of range wait for the max battery from Tesla or Rivian or wait for the next generation of f150
What’s the difference in cost for the Rivian or Tesla? I just threw my suggestion out there for some innovative person to ponder over that may offer another solution for those that need the extra miles, I sure don’t and won’t pay an extra $7k for 70 miles per charge. Connect the exact same stock battery pack in parallel and stick it in the bed of the truck, take it out if you don’t need the extra miles. Just throwing ideas out there.?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
What’s the difference in cost for the Rivian or Tesla? I just threw my suggestion out there for some innovative person to ponder over that may offer another solution for those that need the extra miles, I sure don’t and won’t pay an extra $7k for 70 miles per charge. Connect the exact same stock battery pack in parallel and stick it in the bed of the truck, take it out if you don’t need the extra miles. Just throwing ideas out there.?
Some guesses based on difference between ICE and EV F150

Cost: $15k ($100 per kWhr + packaging + low volume premium)

Weight: 1200+ lbs (don't plan on any passengers, payload, or towing when using the double battery

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
If, and that's a big if, you were somehow able to get ahold of another stock battery, it won't fit in the bed. It takes up pretty much the entire length between the axels. The ER battery weighs 1800lbs so the standard range is probably around 1500 or something. That's almost making out your payload.
Theoretically you could build your own battery pack that fit in the bed but it is certainly going to cost a whole lot and that's even before trying to integrate it into the vehicle. Then there's no telling how hard it will be to get the truck to actually recognize that the battery is larger. I know people have been able to successfully reprogram a leaf but they were using a larger battery pack from a leaf as well so it was just replacing the code from the older version with the code from the newer version.
Sure it could be done but I just don't see it as a cost effective solution. If you regularly need more than 300 miles range, buy an ice version for now. If you only need it once or twice a year then it is going to make a lot more sense to just rent something.

I remember that if you bought a scion, you could borrow a truck from the Toyota dealer for a certain number of days a year. Maybe Ford could be convinced to do something like that where lightning owners can borrow an ice truck for a week.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Oh also remember that the $7k gets you the 80amp evse so your probably paying closer to $5k for the battery and $2k for the evse. Note: the upcharge in the Mach-e is $5k and looking online the 80amp stations that I could find were in the $2k range

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Maybe an option would be given to downgrade the larger wheels that come in the platinum. That's the biggest range killer.
Or ask around online if anyone in your area would like to swap wheels with you?

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
I remember that if you bought a scion, you could borrow a truck from the Toyota dealer for a certain number of days a year. Maybe Ford could be convinced to do something like that where lightning owners can borrow an ice truck for a week.
Ford F-150 Lightning EPA MPGe Target & Backup Power Info From Ford Livestream 1632967101143