Air Suspension?

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
Is there an air suspension kit that I can add to my PowerBoost so it would ride like a Ram? I love everything about it but the ride is too bouncy and my wife complains nonstop.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
OP
OP
cool rod

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes it has the tow package. The PowerBoost itself adds stiffer springs due to the added weight of the battery and other things, I don't think the tow package adds even stiffer springs. Maybe the Max Tow option does something like that, but the PowerBoost springs are the same as the tow package springs.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
If you're looking for a kit where air springs are the primary spring, then there is one for about $5000.

I would imagine some better dampers would go a long way.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I agree with the OP. After owning a 2019 Ram Limited with air suspension, my Platinum PowerBoost rides like a haywagon in comparison.
I'm not about to dump a bunch of cash that would never be recovered into it, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cool rod

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks to you all. I've looked online and there doesn't seem to be an adjustable air suspension kit with compressor that you can just adjust as you drive. There are air bags that you pre-inflate but they seem to be more for load leveling than smooth riding. Sigh.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I think a good set of aftermarket shocks could help the ride significantly if it is bouncing she is complaining about. If it is just too stiff there is not much short of a very expensive complete suspension redo that will help.

How attached are you to this woman?

Satellite67

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat 3.5EB, 2019 Bullitt, 2019 FLHTP
I think a good set of aftermarket shocks could help the ride significantly if it is bouncing she is complaining about. If it is just too stiff there is not much short of a very expensive complete suspension redo that will help.

How attached are you to this woman?
There is usually more than one way to approach a problem. 😎

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Much of the difference in ride quality between the Ram Limited and F-150 has more to do with the five link trailing arm/Panhard bar rear axle than the air bags.

Ford F-150 Air Suspension? 97F984CC-375E-4BAE-9DDB-A7C625B29AA3

Though you can get a similar coil spring setup now with the new Raptor.

Range Rovers had a trailing arm rear suspension in the 70’s, it’s nothing new and just about everything else has a better ride quality than the leaf spring located live axle setup that’s traditional for light trucks which is about the worst possible thing for comfort but the best option for cost.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
@cool rod , I have heard that complete replacement leaf packs like Deavers ride better due to the more progressive nature. Instead of a few large thick springs, the use like 10+ thinner springs, which make the entire pack more progressive. Smaller bumps are thusly less dramatic. the "coons" are expense, because they cost more to make, and weight, since there is more metal.

I have no experience, it's just the concept and anecdotal data I've looked into.

OP
OP
cool rod

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@cool rod , I have heard that complete replacement leaf packs like Deavers ride better due to the more progressive nature. Instead of a few large thick springs, the use like 10+ thinner springs, which make the entire pack more progressive. Smaller bumps are thusly less dramatic. the "coons" are expense, because they cost more to make, and weight, since there is more metal.

I have no experience, it's just the concept and anecdotal data I've looked into.
Thanks for that! Maybe that's a little too challenging though.

OP
OP
cool rod

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've read good things about Bilstein shocks, I think that's where I'm headed. Others have reported that just adding them to the rear reduced the rocking and rolling to a more comfortable level.
Sponsored