Sponsored

Discount FDRS License ?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Grab a $200 laptop and under no circumstances use it for anything in which you login to anything. It's possible, but under no circumstances do you give random people remote login capability. Hell I wouldn't allow it on my network either though so also use a router w/ a "guest" log-on that's not on your home / business wifi.

OP
OP

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
Grab a $200 laptop and under no circumstances use it for anything in which you login to anything. It's possible, but under no circumstances do you give random people remote login capability. Hell I wouldn't allow it on my network either though so also use a router w/ a "guest" log-on that's not on your home / business wifi.
So Starbucks wifi it is. Not sure why they have to do the upload of their software when it is already installed. Unless that's how they control the account login.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Are there places that sell discount licenses for FDRS ? Found this site but the guy needs to remote in and load the software. Is a license only good for one devise ?

Thanks
Ford IDS-FJDS-FDRS license + Ford dealer account - MHH AUTO - Page 1
Yeah I would say hard no! It’s probably some kind of pirated software. I would not trust it to program/update modules. Because if something goes sideways then you’ve potentially bricked a module. It’s tempting I know. I found that site awhile back but it’s just too cheap. And having a legitimate subscription as I do I also know that if I don’t use FDRS for a couple days or whatever then it takes back to a login screen. So I don’t know how they get around that. Anyway. I would just be super careful.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like a scammer to me.
I'd wager it's something to do with international stuff. US and EU pay premiums for software where other markets its stupidly cheap. I've had a source for legit software keys (as in calls home to activate / validate software obtained from the software company directly) and they're a few $ a piece, even when the same software is on store shelves for $300+.

Pure speculation but someone has probably bought some type of international dealer package and pays a per-machine yearly fee where even charging $100 they're profiting. That's assuming it's indeed FDRS and validating with the servers.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
So Starbucks wifi it is. Not sure why they have to do the upload of their software when it is already installed. Unless that's how they control the account login.
Its not about the internet access/public wifi, its about dropping a virus/trojan on your laptop by any means by these perpetrators.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well not using home / business wifi is a way to keep a potentially malicious device from being able to access other devices on the wifi that may not have strict security. Another vector is being able to 'cast' something to a 'smart' device, ie: out of nowhere your TV could suddenly start playing something you wouldn't care to see, let alone family / friends / and particularly, children. Furthermore it could, if left on, turn itself into a VPN thus allowing someone to basically tunnel into the laptop and then use your location's internet as their own. From there they can do any number of illegal activities that'd then see the relevant authorities come snooping around. aka the laptop could potentially become part of a botnet or any number of things.

That post is long-running and seems to have attracted enough attention that it's probably legit in that they provide the service they say they do, but because of the remote access component is why I suggest it be on a cheap 'burner' laptop that's not used for anything other than doing updates while remaining powered down the rest of the time. Thus no, it's not too good to be true, it's just got the possibility of having hidden strings attached. Those can be substantially minimized by the dedicated laptop only for that activity, and only powered on for those purposes. Oh, and put a note on it reminding it's to be powered off and not used -- preferably one that won't fall off.

OP
OP

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
Found these guys too. Same scenario. They log in and load the software. They are pretty active on FB and Youtube.
https://dhtauto.com/dht/store/

I'll probably just pay the $50 for 2 days when I need to update and such. By the time I get a laptop for $200 and $100 for the software I could have purchased 6 X 2 day sessions.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It co$t $200 an hour for your dealership to login to FDRS while hooked to your truck's OBD port.

It co$t me less than $1 per hour to do it myself with FDRS completely legal and above board.

That's how I look at it and the $50 suddenly seems like couch change. 🤣

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Heck, I'll remote access your PC and install ransomware for half the price! 😁
Sponsored