Sponsored

Improvised blue cruise via lane keep assist?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I want to be able to essentially turn the copilot 360 (non bluecruise) system into hands free by using a device to fool whatever sensor is used to monitor steering torque input (this would also work on blue cruise equipped vehicles outside of "mapped" areas) . As those of you who use the system know, far too often it requires you to move the wheel when it's not even required 'just cuz' -- even worse you can be using buttons on the steering wheel and the dumb system still requires torque input. I mean, if you're using buttons on the steering wheel, clearly your hands ARE ON IT ALREADY!? I'd prefer to stop having to move the steering wheel while in a straight stretch of road because incompetent programming/ers deemed it a good idea.

I've got quite a few projects going on already but figured I'd start getting community input as perhaps someone here is already familiar with the intricacies of the system. In my 'daydream' it's as simple as adding a little bit of voltage to the sensor at short random intervals to fool it into believing there's torque on the steering wheel (though I'm guessing it's a PWM signal). It'd be even sweeter if it could include a dial that could be added to adjust the level of power steering assist as well. There's no reason for the required steering force to ramp up as much as it does at speed. Fighting the steering wheel is a big contributor to driver fatigue.
Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
“Hypothetically”: Ankle weight. 2-2.5 lbs. you’re welcome.

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
“Hypothetically”: Ankle weight. 2-2.5 lbs. you’re welcome.
You misunderstand the ultimate goal....
Tinker / understand > beta product> installable solution that can work on all future ford vehicles as they've begun to make their ADAS suite as a standard option....

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I mean, if you're using buttons on the steering wheel, clearly your hands ARE ON IT ALREADY!?
I can press the buttons with my hands not on the steering wheel 👆👇☝

I'd prefer to stop having to move the steering wheel while in a straight stretch of road because incompetent programming/ers deemed it a good idea.
I'll offer this only as market research: I just have to rest my hand on the steering wheel limply to keep the system happy. I used it for about 1200/2000 miles on the trip home, and didn't once feel like I had to fight to keep it from alarming. I think it's a pretty efficient method of hand detection.

I still barely trust Ford with controlling my steering, I'm definitely not trusting a tiny company with dicking around with that signal. The amount of real-world folks with a hyperbolic distaste for it might be smaller than you think.

As a project and venture, good luck. I think the torque sensor is in the EPAS module on the rack, so you might be looking at an intercept of the signal to the truck instead of working with the sensor directly. You can probably log the sensor output in FORscan to give you an idea of the input threshold.

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can press the buttons with my hands not on the steering wheel 👆👇☝

I'll offer this only as market research: I just have to rest my hand on the steering wheel limply to keep the system happy. I used it for about 1200/2000 miles on the trip home, and didn't once feel like I had to fight to keep it from alarming. I think it's a pretty efficient method of hand detection.

I still barely trust Ford with controlling my steering, I'm definitely not trusting a tiny company with dicking around with that signal. The amount of real-world folks with a hyperbolic distaste for it might be smaller than you think.
Ford doesn't make most of the tech stuff in their vehicles, just like most companies that sell items with significant part counts. I've got dozens of products on the bleeding edge of tech with patents to back it up. That's the thing with the internet, you just don't know who you're talking to at any given point. As far as the market for aftermarket products, there's millions to be made on capturing even a fraction of a single percent for any given product. I'm not currently in the automotive market parts realm and finding a reason to be is a good excuse to collect vehicles, if nothing else.

Take https://comma.ai/ for instance. Quite interesting what they've been able to achieve and how they're able to add functionality to older vehicles well ahead of what even the auto makers are willing to do. Ford doesn't care about what they're selling today, let alone yesterday. They're focused on tomorrow. They want you to replace your vehicle, not give you an excuse to keep it.

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
You misunderstand the ultimate goal....
Tinker / understand > beta product> installable solution that can work on all future ford vehicles as they've begun to make their ADAS suite as a standard option....
That's a TALL request.

The only thing likely to work across all Ford vehicles is ...

... an "Ankle weight. 2-2.5 lbs."

Hypothetically, of course.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
I'll offer this only as market research: I just have to rest my hand on the steering wheel limply to keep the system happy.
I double checked with my wife and she agrees. My system doesn't work well with "limply".

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I've got dozens of products on the bleeding edge of tech with patents to back it up. That's the thing with the internet, you just don't know who you're talking to at any given point.
It helps to announce yourself if you have a certain level of credibility. Forums are filled with pie-in-the-sky ideas from Joe FORscan. That's the thing with the internet, you just don't know who you're talking to at any given point.

I did say "good luck."

Sirtate

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302a
Occupation
Real Estate Sales
That's a TALL request.

The only thing likely to work across all Ford vehicles is ...

... an "Ankle weight. 2-2.5 lbs."

Hypothetically, of course.
I may have wedged a half full water bottle in the lower left quadrant of the wheel... (with the cap on, of course)

It might keep things quiet until you get the "Driver Fatigue' message.
Sponsored