Deep Sleep Mode.

NAV165

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I tried the BMS reset, the battery flashed like it should but the truck is still in deep sleep mode. I just drove it 85 miles on the highway so battery should be charged. All lights and accessories work. I had the problem this weekend with the tailgate not opening via the button the gate, the button on the dash and the fob. Luckily I didn't have anything in the back of the truck and tonneau cover was closed. Randomly tried it again this morning and it opened. Leaving the tonneau cover open until the dealer can inspect it. Very frustrating for a truck with only 30,100 miles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Davexxxx

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I don't want to be overly critical of those having problems but I've sorta came to see the, deep sleep mode, alert as a warning. of a low battery condition and my initial reading of 12.04 is low.

We can bitch about the hows and whys Ford lets it get that way and how much these things cost but after that, its up to us to help ourselves.

I put mine on a smart charger and let it do it's thing. It took near enough to 12 hrs. to get to float.

No warnings since and to be clear, the truck started and functioned normally the whole time. If I hadn't checked Ford Pass on a whim, I'd have never known about it.

I read about people being stranded. and missing important events, work etc. and then the frustration of dealers being backed up. What I don't hear, is any saying they got a jump, or used a jump pack to get themselves unstranded and then following up with a stint on a charger.

I mean, fellas, that procedure isn't new. Its how we've lived with cars all of our lives.

I've carried jumper cables in every vehicle I've owned for near 50 yrs., had a battery charger for almost that long and a jump pack for at least a decade.

Before I spent one minute contemplating calling a dealer, or having to be without my truck, I'd exhaust what I could do for myself.

NAV165

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Hey DaveXXXX

I agree with what you are saying that we need to help ourselves. That's why my next truck won't be a Ford. I've driven nothing but Ford's since 1976. My last F150 I had to strap the doors shut whenever I washed it in the winter because the doors wouldn't stay closed. Nothing but problems with the sunroof, so much so I'll never have one again. Contact Ford and the dealer and no fix.
This one has a bunch of nagging problems that no one seems to be able to fix. The quality has decreased and the customer service doesn't exist. Not seeing these problems from the competitors trucks so I guess after 40 plus years of driving F150's it's time for me to help myself to another brand.

Foxtrot150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A PB SCrew 6.5
It's also worth noting that several of our vehicles sat in parking lots for months, and we can pretty much guarantee that long-term storage procedures/practices weren't followed, resulting in subpar battery performance and capacity from delivery.

mrnavy2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Roush Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Fusion SE
Occupation
Retired
When mine went into DEEP SLEEP the Tech st my local Ford Dealer replaced that Battery and I have not problem since. Just saying.

Sponsored

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
When mine went into DEEP SLEEP the Tech st my local Ford Dealer replaced that Battery and I have not problem since. Just saying.
The problem is getting the dealer to replace the battery since most test as being good. I keep mine on a trickle charger since I don't drive much but even then I feel like it's something I shouldn't have to do to get the options that are supposed to come with the truck such as any remote function using the FordPass app, approach lighting, listening to the radio in accessory mode, interior lights when a door is opened, auto stop/start not working, etc.

NAV165

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I agree Blue 22. I'll try charging my battery overnight to see if it helps. I was going to do it this past weekend but ran into some other commitments. It seems so many on this forum have solutions for the deep sleep problem but the dealer acts like they never heard of it? How is that even possible?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Okay so those of us whose battery "tests" good. Anyone have a quick / easy way to theoretically make an AGM of this type to "test bad"?

Foxtrot150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A PB SCrew 6.5
Same, makes me wonder if the dealership test has any sort of load on it

Rock46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
I gave up on my dealer and bought a new battery at Advanced Auto and reset the BSM. Problem 100% solved. I actually have interior lights again when I open the door ! Dealer was really useless as he said they can only replace if it tests bad on their battery load tester. Issue is that it needs to be tested off load also as there are a lot of batteries (so I have read) with bad cells (like mine) that Ford used. When I tried to tell the dealer all this, he started to try to convince me that it was normal for the remote systems to shut down and there was no issue. He said all the trucks shut these systems down and go into deep sleep mode every night (like humans do) and my manual should explain all this... Pretty sad when a high schooler working part time at Advanced auto has much more knowledge of batteries, the right test equipment to test the cells, and how my truck is supposed to work than my local dealer reps and mechanics. This is my first Ford and I am getting concerned that any and all warranty issues will be an argument. Next service/issue will be at another dealer to compare.
Sponsored