F-150 "Deep Sleep" Mode

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Good afternoon friends. Thus, far my F-150 has been very good to me and a pretty solid vehicle. I've been incredibly fortunate and blessed to have this thing. So far, I love it!

I had a slight hiccup with her today, though.

Yesterday, I was in the FordPass app, and I received a notification stating the following:

"Your vehicle is in Deep Sleep mode and connectivity is temporarily unavailable. Manually turn on your vehicle to deactivate this mode."

I didn't have an opportunity to start the truck immediately after I received this notification. When I went to use the truck this morning, it was certainly in a "deep sleep". Long story short, it was dead. I mean dead dead. The welcome lighting didn't work, the key fob or keypad on the b-pillar didn't work, and I had to resort to using the key in the fob to unlock the driver's door.

Once inside, the truck wouldn't do any of the welcome screen features and would not respond to a push button start. All electrical features were non-existent. Thankfully, I bought a NOCO Boost HD a while back. Hooked that up, and it cranked the truck right up.

During that first drive, my satellite radio wouldn't work, and I lost my MyView and gauge settings on the instrument cluster. Strangely enough, it somehow saved all of my radio presets, sound settings, and other things. Parked it after an approximate fifteen minute drive, and came back out about an hour and a half later and worked like normal and without issue.

I've checked and made sure the Zone Lighting option is off. Is there anything else that could be causing a parasitic drain on the battery while it sits? For a two month old, truck with barely 400 miles on it, the battery should not be dead.

Has anyone else experienced this "deep sleep" mode? Does that essentially mean, I can expect a dead battery anytime I receive this alert?

Ford F-150 F-150 "Deep Sleep" Mode EE8DF2EE-D230-4E96-AFF8-70E3C2421518
Sponsored

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Good afternoon friends. Thus, far my F-150 has been very good to me and a pretty solid vehicle. I've been incredibly fortunate and blessed to have this thing. So far, I love it!

Yesterday, I was in the FordPass app, and I received a notification stating the following:

"Your vehicle is in Deep Sleep mode and connectivity is temporarily unavailable. Manually turn on your vehicle to deactivate this mode."

I didn't have an opportunity to start the truck immediately after I received this notification. When I went to use the truck this morning, it was certainly in a "deep sleep". Long story short, it was dead. I mean dead dead. The welcome lighting didn't work, the key fob or keypad on the b-pillar didn't work, and I had to resort to using the key in the fob to unlock the driver's door.

Once inside, the truck wouldn't do any of the welcome screen features and would not respond to a push button start. All electrical features were non-existent. Thankfully, I bought a NOCO Boost HD a while back. Hooked that up, and it cranked the truck right up.

During that first drive, my satellite radio wouldn't work, and I lost my MyView and gauge settings on the instrument cluster. Strangely enough, it somehow saved all of my radio presets, sound settings, and other things. Parked it after an approximate fifteen minute drive, and came back out about an hour and a half later and worked like normal and without issue.

I've checked and made sure the Zone Lighting option is off. Is there anything else that could be causing a parasitic drain on the battery while it sits? For a two month old, truck with barely 400 miles on it, the battery should not be dead.

Has anyone else experienced this "deep sleep" mode? Does that essentially mean, I can expect a dead battery anytime I receive this alert?

EE8DF2EE-D230-4E96-AFF8-70E3C2421518.jpeg
I had my very first encounter with deep sleep mode this afternoon. I had just driven my truck yesterday, and opened the Ford pass app this afternoon and had a notification that my truck was in deep sleep mode.

Expecting that my battery would be dead like so many other people on here, I went out and as I approached it I noticed that it did not activate the greeting lights as I approached nor did it automatically unlock when I stuck my hand inside the front door handle.

It did however unlock after I pressed the unlock button on the remote, and everything after that was normal.

It started per normal and the automatic start stop activated at the first stop at the end of my street indicating that the battery wasn't abnormally low.

I'm not sure what other reasons the truck feels that needs to go into deep sleep mode are, however it does not apparently mean that your battery will be dead, or is likely to be dead, the next time you try to start it after receiving the message. At least mine wasn't.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had my very first encounter with deep sleep mode this afternoon. I had just driven my truck yesterday, and opened the Ford pass app this afternoon and had a notification that my truck was in deep sleep mode.

Expecting that my battery would be dead like so many other people on here, I went out and as I approached it I noticed that it did not activate the greeting lights as I approached nor did it automatically unlock when I stuck my hand inside the front door handle.

It did however unlock after I pressed the unlock button on the remote, and everything after that was normal.

It started per normal and the automatic start stop activated at the first stop at the end of my street indicating that the battery wasn't abnormally low.

I'm not sure what other reasons the truck feels that needs to go into deep sleep mode are, however it does not apparently mean that your battery will be dead, or is likely to be dead, the next time you try to start it after receiving the message. At least mine wasn't.
Glad to hear that for you. Hopefully it’s a one time thing for me. We’ll see.

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
Same thing happed to my truck, killed the battery to the point it couldn't be jumped, I got it to the dealership. They gave me a copy of "TSB21-2097 Discharged Battery/no Crank," they reprogrammed the gateway module and I haven't had a problem since..
The reprogramming of the module by the dealer shows up as an OTA on the fordpass app

Sponsored

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker

EE8DF2EE-D230-4E96-AFF8-70E3C2421518.jpeg
Hey Kyle, how long had your truck been sitting when this happened?

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
About three days.
Good to know, thanks!

The longest I've let mine since has been only 2 days, but I have my NOCO ready if it dies after a longer sitting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good to know, thanks!

The longest I've let mine since has been only 2 days, but I have my Nico ready if it dies after a longer sitting.
First time use of the NOCO Boost on the F-150. I’ve used it about five other times between my other cars and helping people out with a jump an it’s battery is only half way down. Pretty impressed with it’s cranking power so far!

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
My guess is that @Knickell has not had the flash update that prevents battery drain, and @apMechorse has.

I experienced a dead-as-a-doornail battery after vehicle sat for 6 days. Had the flash update, and no more issues with vehicle sitting for 6+ days.

Sponsored

blind56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7EB, 2016 WRX
Had the deep sleep mode on the Fordpass app yesterday afternoon, and when I checked it again this morning it's not in deep sleep mode any longer?

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
My wifes Escape Titanium goes into sleep mode if it hasn't been driven for a few days but it's never completely lost power like you described. I know your truck is only a few months old but I'd have the battery checked. Sometimes new batteries go bad fast.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My guess is that @Knickell has not had the flash update that prevents battery drain, and @apMechorse has.

I experienced a dead-as-a-doornail battery after vehicle sat for 6 days. Had the flash update, and no more issues with vehicle sitting for 6+ days.
Is the “flash update” only able to be done at the dealer, I’m assuming?

blind56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7EB, 2016 WRX
I jinxed it. Went to start the truck and it was completely dead after two days of it being parked. Boosted it with the GB70, and had a bunch of error messages come up. Most of them cleared except for the trailer brake module, and now I get hyper flash on the turn signals…

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
I had a '19 XLT that went into deep sleep mode about 25-30 times the first few months I owned it. It always started just fine and never gave me any problems...other than the FordPass app constantly stating the Deep Sleep thing. Come to find out...it was because I was parking my truck in my garage which has metal roof and walls, which didn't allow the truck to communicate thru the modem. The dealership even replaced the battery although there was nothing wrong with it. They didn't have a clue what the problem was at the time. I think they have since changed something since I no longer have the problem...even with my '20 model. But I know for a fact that the metal garage was the culprit because I went on a week long trip out of town and my truck didn't enter deep sleep mode the whole time...but did when I got back home and parked in my metal garage again. I reported my findings to three different Ford dealerships and I'm sure they passed it on to FORD. Just an FYI.
Sponsored