First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 chevys
Occupation
Retail auto parts and accessories
Got my tuner Friday and uploaded the stock file this morning and sent it to Livernois. Anyone doing this follow the instructions very closely! I hope to have the new tune back in a day or so. I will let everyone know how it works out.
Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Can't wait to see what the difference feels like!

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Got it installed and I'm well pleased with the added performance + corrected my speedometer for taller tires.
Nice! What added performance were you able to feel? (smoother shifting, responsiveness, torque, etc.)

OP
OP
67SS509

67SS509

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 chevys
Occupation
Nice! What added performance were you able to feel? (smoother shifting, responsiveness, torque, etc.)
You can actually feel more torque and horsepower. I didn't think Ford would have left that much on the table. Shift points raised some, maybe 100-150, and firmness just a little. Throttle response is better.

Sponsored

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
You can actually feel more torque and horsepower. I didn't think Ford would have left that much on the table. Shift points raised some, maybe 100-150, and firmness just a little. Throttle response is better.
Is yours a reg cab swb? 2 or 4wd? I have a 2020 reg cab swb and I am waiting to get my reg cab FX4 to show up anyday. I ordered my with 5.0 10 spd auto,3:73 electronic locker. Should be pretty strong. I as well want the livernois tuner.What size tires are you running. Oh yeah mine is race red also

ProperCrab

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Single Cab 4x4, 2022 Crew Cab 2WD
Occupation
Commercial Project Estimator
Silly question I know but wondering if this would be a problem at the dealer later down the road?

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Silly question I know but wondering if this would be a problem at the dealer later down the road?
The dealer usually frowns upon such upgrades. It depends on how good you know your dealer also. On the 2020 F150 5.0 that I had,I had a Roush tune installed on it by a Roush Ford dealer and the Ford/Roush partnership did not affect factory warranty. The Roush tune didnt create the power that I expected and also did not change the top end limiter. I think I may roll the dice and go with the Livernois tune. If it produces the advertised 37 more hp that would be great! I'm 66 years old and I still love to do the 100 mph thing!

OP
OP
67SS509

67SS509

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 chevys
Occupation
Mine is 2wd, reg cab with 3.31 gearing. 20" wheels with 275/55R20 tires . I love the power to weight ratio and the 10 speed transmission.

Sponsored

Pinero

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport 5.0 SCREW FX4
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
The similar engine in the mustang is rated at 460ish crank. The main differences between them are the added MDS system and the change to a belt driven oil pump. They likely have different cam profiles and intake, but are both 12:1 engines. That being said, ford left a lot on the table. As tuning becomes readily available, I’m sure we’ll see even more gains as we get options for long tubes and higher rev ranges. I’d love to see these hit 8-8500RPM with bolt ons and e85. That combination in 18-20 f150’s netted in the realm of 80 wheel.

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0
I agree ford's stock tune is horrible. What's different now with the trans after the tune?
Skip shift is gone for starters, which makes parking lot cruising/pulling out into traffic less irritating. With the stock tune, I felt like the truck either wanted to either surge in 1st or bog down in 3rd at medium throttle rolling out of a parking lot.

Overall though, it's just more responsive. Prior to the tune, the transmission was hard to communicate with. It would be very sensitive to throttle input at lowspeeds, hanging onto gears unnecessarily, yet at higher speed I felt like I was having to give it too much gas to convince it to down-shift. It also just never felt like it knew what gear to be in. Now with the tune, it reminds me a lot more of the way the Blackbear tune on my 2012 sierra behaved; IE you can predictably "tell" the transmission what to do with throttle input. It also shifts silky smooth at low throttle, which the stock tune never did with any consistency. Overall the transmission is just a lot more predictable/smooth/easier to control. Scooting around town just feels much better.

Last edited:

Lance b

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 XL
Skip shift is gone for starters, which makes parking lot cruising/pulling out into traffic less irritating. With the stock tune, I felt like the truck either wanted to either surge in 1st or bog down in 3rd at medium throttle rolling out of a parking lot.

Overall though, it's just more responsive. Prior to the tune, the transmission was hard to communicate with. It would be very sensitive to throttle input at lowspeeds, hanging onto gears unnecessarily, yet at higher speed I felt like I was having to give it too much gas to convince it to down-shift. It also just never felt like it knew what gear to be in. Now with the tune, it reminds me a lot more of the way the Blackbear tune on my 2012 sierra behaved; IE you can predictably "tell" the transmission what to do with throttle input. It also shifts silky smooth at low throttle, which the stock tune never did with any consistency. Overall the transmission is just a lot more predictable/smooth/easier to control. Scooting around town just feels much better.
Thanks for the reply. I have a 3.5 ecoboost and hate my trans characteristics. It has a loud clunk when getting back on the throttle sometimes, and it downshifts all the way down to 6th gear the moment I tap my brakes if I'm going downhill at highway speeds. Did yours do this? I'm hoping a livernois tune will resolve this but 800 bucks is alot to swallow

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0
Thanks for the reply. I have a 3.5 ecoboost and hate my trans characteristics. It has a loud clunk when getting back on the throttle sometimes, and it downshifts all the way down to 6th gear the moment I tap my brakes if I'm going downhill at highway speeds. Did yours do this? I'm hoping a livernois tune will resolve this but 800 bucks is alot to swallow

I had a similar problem in lower gears, i don't remember it doing it if I was at highway speeds though. With the 3.5 they can also squeeze quite a bit more power out of it too, so there's that.
Sponsored